• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dan Dean solo libraries, VSL, etc?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Dan Dean solo libraries, VSL, etc?

What OS?

Win98 and 2k/XP have different ways of handling memory management. 2k/XP can give you a \"can\'t allocate memory\" error (thus: full) while you should have enough physical RAM to load the stuff.

Maarten

The amount of memory needed depends on the number of samples loaded. Each sample gets a 64k buffer (stereo = 128k).

So, for example the DD French Horn should take about 150 MB of memory. So, yes… you should be able to load it.

And, as Maarten said, the OS is important.

i would like to add, that there is no difference using 98SE/W2K if the system is properly configured.
    after some troubles it turned out a machine with 1 GB RAM running W2K (with service-pack3 applied) is able to load the same amount of samples as the same machine running W98SE (of course with the well-known tweaks applied)
    christian

Try to use some of the Dan Dean \"Light\" instruments (named LT or LT1), they do not use chromatic sample assignment, but 1 sample for 3 notes, which makes them 3 times \"lighter\" in memory usage. I bet you can hardly tell the difference, especially with the woodwinds. The LT2 are prolly NOT the ones to use, as they use less velocity levels to save memory, which takes away expressiveness.

Try to avoid loading entire Gig files and make a selection of instruments within the Gig file. Besides some minor up to serious memory savings, this can also keep you away from errors in GigaStudio when saving your selections in performance files. I believe GigaStudio has somes problems with remembering instrument/channel assignments when you do not select individual instruments.

Try to fill out the machine to 1 Gb (Win98) or 1.5 Gb (Win2K or XP). This is probably the cheapest option to solve part of this problem.

Success,

I knew I forgot to post some detail! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The machine is running XP. From what I\'m being told though, I should be able to load in anything I want with that amount of memory. 1500 samples at 128k is about 185 megs, and I have 768 megs. This really isn\'t making sense at all then. Sure, I can load in the lite version. I can load in the full versions of the Instrument no problem, but I cannot load the full banks.

Who has the Dan Dean stuff that can load in the full bank then with 512megs or 768 megs of ram in their system?

I\'m just getting the impression this is not normal. I\'m more than willing to go to 1 gig if this is really going to fix it, not a problem. BUT, before I lay down some cash though, I want to make SURE it\'s a memory issue. I hate throwing money at a problem that winds up being something else.

Devon

Originally posted by PeterRoos:

Try to fill out the machine to 1 Gb (Win98) or 1.5 Gb (Win2K or XP). This is probably the cheapest option to solve part of this problem.

Success,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought that Gigastudio could not recognize more than one gig. Memory is just about the most misunderstood topic. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

GigaStudio itself is limited to work with up to 1 Gb of memory. Windows XP additionally also needs a fair amount of free (physical) memory. To give GigaStudio the maximum under XP, your PC will need at least 1.5 Gb or more RAM.

Win98SE has a much lower memory footprint (different animal) but also seems (practically) limited to 1 Gb. With 1 Gb RAM in a Win98 machine GigaStudio will get around 900 Mb to work with. This is a lot more than Windows XP will give.

Most GST users agree that Win98 gives the best return on investment for RAM sticks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Peter -

I have about 850megs to work with on my XP machine that has 1 gig of ram, and that\'s with my Pulsar II project loaded. If I didn\'t have that eating up memory, I\'d have about 900 megs as well. You just have to know what to unload in XP.

I also know after talking with Tom that loading in the Dan Dean Flute is fully possible on a 768 meg machine, as he proceeded to load in the Dan Dean Clarinet and STILL didn\'t get an error with the flute still loaded.

So least I know it works, but I wonder what is screwed up though. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Devon

Devon, I know what I am talking about, having both XP and Win98 machines in my setup.
    Reported amount of free memory is not the same as memory used by GigaStudio once you have tried to load it to max. WinXP always balances allocatable and reserved memory.
    Been there, seen that, my GST performance files load a *lot* more samples under Win98. Period.

Maybe you want to check out some discussions on the VSL forum (http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/ ) about memory usage, Giga and XP, where we have done some comparisons with loading multiple copies of the GigaPiano (no, not for playing it).

Peter -

Cool, I will check that out when I have a moment. Always willing to learn something new. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Devon

Go Back to forum