• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphonic Suite #1 for Wind Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Symphonic Suite #1 for Wind Ensemble

I resurrected this piece that I wrote about 6-7 years ago. Originally written for Orchestra I rewrote it for Wind Ensemble.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...20Ensemble.mp3

I think I made a mistake writing it for Orchestra.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Symphonic Suite #1 for Wind Ensemble

A happy resurrection indeed. Well done, it's perfectly suited for wind instruments. Lovely classical harmony.

Thanks for sharing it!

Max

Mitch,
    Nice treatment of the thematic material! And yes, it sounds great for wind ensemble! Very noble and regal
    But where is the five-minute-long euphonium solo you intended to put in this piece?

PS--When I was young, our family owned a Border Collie, and it was the most wonderful pet a family could ask for...intelligent, loyal, playful, and affectionate!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

What a nice big, nourishing meal of musicality, and so tasty too!

So much going on in this, Mitch - you must've had a blast re-visiting this and placing it in this Wind Ensemble setting. Moments of unexpected dissonance were a fun surprise, a hornpipe theme, all sorts of elements that kept this an unpredictable, fun piece to listen to.

I may have some reservations about some of the instruments you used, the sound is a bit thick and blurry at times, but there are always limitations to what we can do.

Like this a lot - And I always appreciate when you share your music with us, Mitch.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    PS--When I was young, our family owned a Border Collie, and it was the most wonderful pet a family could ask for...intelligent, loyal, playful, and affectionate!
    What is the relation of this comment with the piece at hand? Did he play the euphonium?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    What is the relation of this comment with the piece at hand? Did he play the euphonium?

Raymond
    Actually, when I was in high school I played the tuba, baritone, trombone, Frech Horn, trumpet, clarinet, and piano. I also sing (right Randy?). ;-) But I never had the oppurtunity to play the euphonium. :-(

As for the Border Collie - I have three of them. Mother, daughter, and grand daughter. Argh! What a handful!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

Randy - I agree there are some places in the song that sound a bit muddy and I am working on scrubbing those areas up but I agree, there's only so much one can do on a computer of my size.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post

Raymond
    Raymond...go to mitchmanthe.net and you will see!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Mitch and all other interested parties~
    I've written about this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here...one of the issues to be confronted in wind ensemble music is an inherent amount of "mid-range clutter" with not much textural difference. Horns, baritones, trombones, tenor saxes, bass clarinets, bari saxes, alto clarinets, even low register Bb clarinets...all tend to crowd the middle. In beginner bands, only the flutes can reliably go above the treble staff.

I didn't major in music in college, but I have done a lot of soloing with bands in my day. The difficult parts for me occur where there are a lot of instruments playing accompaniment in my range..I feel like I have to outblow them, and it often doesn't work.

Exploiting the upper range in band music is difficult because only the flutes and clarinets can reliably go much above the treble staff, and the trumpets need rest if they go up there, and it can't be pp above the staff for highschool band trumpet players. The clarinet tone can be strident in the upper register, and the flute sound becomes tiring to the listener if overused. In short, there are no violins in a band to provide pp highs and a constant supply of high notes in contrast to woodwinds and brasses.

Same on the low end--school bands usually don't have good tuba sections with sufficient tone and agility to carry a bass melody, and the lower woodwinds are usually staffed by failed Bb clarinet players. Most schools don't own a bass sax (my HS did!) and couldn't find a player to exploit it if they had one. Euphoniums are the cellos of the band, but many composers just double a bass line with euphoniums at the octave. No string bass section in the band to provide bass melody with a different color than woodwinds or brass.

So composers are faced with those issues when writing for bands, especially for high school bands. Whether those problems can be solved by mixing, I'll leave that up to mixmeisters like Dan and Randy. But I just thought I'd let people know that composing for band presents a set of challenges entirely different from the challenges in writing for orchestra.

No wire choir=less flexibility & fewer choices

Snorlax.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

I went back and cleaned a few spots up and reposted the piece on my website. I hope you can notice the difference. As always, all my music is a work-in-progress and subject to change without notice. Hehehe. Again, thank you everyone for listening and your critic.

I enjoyed listening to your Symphonic Suite. It has an uplifting feel to it with it's sort of march structure.

I didn't hear your first version but it seems to be a little smokey in a few places. It might just be fine with real instruments but virtual instruments can create sound issues. That's where one has to be more of sound technician than a musician but in any event your musical ideas shine through.

A nice listening break from our wet NW weather.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast