• Register
  • Help

Topic: Posting music at this site or elsewhere on the net

Share/Bookmark

Posting music at this site or elsewhere on the net

Just wondering if anyone of you that have posted your original music are concerned about it being plagerized[I need a spellcheck] before its copywrited.
    I have concidered posting some of mine but was concerned about this.

Re: Posting music at this site or elsewhere on the net

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    ...So there are no guarantees that a few notes you write might surface elsewhere. Whether the \'guilty\' composer does it on purpose or not is impossible to find out...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If people want to rip you off, that is what it is - you put your music out there and you take your chances...personally I think the thing to worry more about might just be when they stop wanting to rip you off.

I once told a girlfriend \"hey, that guy\'s staring at your *** .\" She replied \"Well, that\'s okay, it\'s when they stop staring that I have to worry.\"

I am surprised it wasn\'t Thomas J, Simon Ravn or Maartin Sprujt that started this thread. They are the only ones I would think people would want to steal from (not saying that anyone here is bad at composing) it is just they have sorta a godly status here (and ofcourse incredible skill).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

By affixing the music to media, you are protected already under copyright law. Formal application is better, but as long as you have good documentation and proof the music is yours (and is original), then you\'re OK.

And in addition, I always post on my website who owns the music (with copyright symbol) and I write \"if you have any questions regarding copyright go to such and such a link\" (can\'t think of the copyright link now). So, this way you\'ve made yourself very clear.

And always give a link to yourself, just in case someone wants to contact you about using your music.

Of course, all this doesn\'t mean you won\'t find your music selling on some CD in Thailand or China, but it at least puts your mind at ease. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Coming from the \'HP/Star Wars\' thread, it might surprise you that all composers are inspired by other work. So there are no guarantees that a few notes you write might surface elsewhere. Whether the \'guilty\' composer does it on purpose or not is impossible to find out, unless you ask the composer and he will be ready to provide an honest answer. But I wouldn\'t be too worried about it. You also have to come up with something very good before people would deliberately copy it I guess. Keeping your music to yourself would be rather un-interesting wouldn\'t it - unless you only create it for yourself.

Go Back to forum