• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lexicon Reverbs question

Lexicon Reverbs question

Hi all, I have been thinking for a while about getting a Lexicon reverb unit.

At this stage I can\'t quite spring for the PCM91 but I was wondering what some of the cheaper units were like. For example, the MPX550?

I thought I read here once that someone thought the cheaper Lexicons were pretty crap but I would like to hear anyone\'s opinion on this...

Re: Lexicon Reverbs question

The MPX550 is significantly better than any of the native reverbs apart from the convolving ones like Altiverb. I can\'t get anything like the richness and density out of the Waves Ren verb as I can with my MPX500 for example. Doesn\'t tax your CPU much either.

The Lexicon 300L isn\'t bad either! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I created a whole drum/perc \"reverb only\" audio sample CD entirely from this box - called; \"Trails & Reflections\" - released by Q-UpArts.

Here\'s the deal;

You can nicely graft the tail of a great reverb only sample that was fired from another drum then captured (sampled), catalogued and saved. Then in future, layer that \"wet only\" sample with another (different) dry drum sample.

Matching the drums (i.e. the snare \"verb only\" sample with a dry snare or a tom \"verb only\" sample with a dry tom) yields the more usual consistant and expected results.

Matching, for example, a huge low tom \"verb only\" with a hi dry tom or a huge BD \"verb only\" with a dry snare? - MASSIVE!

A huge xposed reeeeeeal low \"verb only\" BD sample AND a huge snare \"verb only\" sample with that girly, whimpy dry snare?!?! - 11 ON THE RICHTER SCALE!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Oh, you should hear the massive metal/thunder slams I ran through this box - then captured the \"wet/verb only\" of THAT!!

Layer THAT with that idiotic wood block - goahead I dare ya! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Things match up better than you might expect and Drums/Perc are NOT the only thing this process works with either.

Why would anyone actually wanna do ANY of the above!?!?

Because you can. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

\"All we wanna do is make some music, coupla notes maybe\" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by SiliconAudioLabs:

I created a whole drum/perc \"reverb only\" audio sample CD entirely from this box - called; \"Trails & Reflections\" - released by Q-UpArts.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I cant find it on Q-UpArts website, and I cant find a demo when I searched on google. Could you point me in the right direction?

It\'s no longer in production (which is why I was OK with mentioning it - don\'t like \"hawking\" stuff in others forums).

You can email me and I\'ll find it for you (or hook you up).

Hi Dave, everyone, thanks very much for your replies.

At its heart, the 300 is very close to the PCM91. They have different programs, of course, but they\'re still 2-Lexichip boxes with the same basic reverb algorithms. Same with the NuVerb, if you can find one of them.

The cheaper Lexicons are anything but crap. They don\'t have quite the same thick, complex sound as the 2-Lexichip models, but you\'d be hard-pressed to tell the difference in unexposed settings.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

If you are a SONAR user by any chance, the upgrade to SONAR 3.0 (producer edition) will include the premeire of the very formidable Lexicon Pantheon-series reverb.

The 300 had its algorithms ported from the 480.

As where the hardware stacks and taps designed into the 300\'s accumulators/dsp\'s (Lexi-chips) taken from the 480.

The 91 came after the 300 as a lower cost (although still a bit pricey) unit.

I use the initial software rev. on the 300 that came before they split it up do more things at once. I felt it degraded the sound of the reverb so I went back to that rev.

Bruce do you or anyone else know how the Pantheon stacks up to the PCM 91? I\'m guessing that there are many different considerations when creating a purely software reverb and am wondering how representative this reverb is of the lexicon sound. Also does anyone know the difference between the Pantheon reverb and the one offered in Sonar\'s non-producer version? (the reverb would be the primary reason for me to upgrade if it is very good)

Go Back to forum