• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt Rocks !

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt Rocks !

Just thought I\'d tell you all how much I\'m enjoying working with Kontakt, at first when I read all the post on the Native Instruments forum, and people were complaining about not being able to stream Gigapiano ! I went omg how the hell is it gonna stream a 4 Gig 24 bit instrument then.....

Well, obviously some people need to brush up on their computer skills, this thing rocks and sings along real happy streaming 40 notes poliphony of a 4 gig Instrument and all this on the company\'s \"cheap\" rig, it litterally kicks Halion\'s butt all over the road as far as I\'m concerned although I\'m hoping Halion 2.0 does better.
    With Halion and the \"cheap\" rig, the files play but you can see it\'s being pushed to the limit, same file in Kontakt and the thing is smooth and purring along, also the load time is waaaay faster than on Halion, all this from a first generation streaming engine, very very impressive, also the interface is so intuative, a really great all around produt, thumbs up to Native Instruments they do make the best softsynths and samplers (besides Giga of course, Giga is still the king as far as streaming goes give us 3.0 already !!!!).

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Re: Kontakt Rocks !

Hey Franky, what\'s your email?

Aaron You can email me at info@vintaudio.com

One thing I forgot to mention and I\'ll be mentioning this also in the Native Instruments forum (this information is also important for Halion users) is that to acheive trouble free streaming, you need to disable any form of virtual memory or \"page file\" if you will, and also turning off write behind caching for all drives helps but the real trick is disabling virtual memory totally, this means the only memory available to the system is RAM, so you don\'t get samples put into some form of page filing system mixed in with ram that seriously degrades a system\'s efficiency using these 2 platform\'s disk streaming technologies.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

The problems that Kontakt users are having with disk-streaming and Giga import have nothing to do with anyone\'s \"computer skills\", as evidenced by the fact that Native Instruments has owned up to bugs in Kontakt with both the DFD and Giga instrument import features. Furthermore, NI state on their user forum that both bugs have been fixed for the next Kontakt version, which supposedly will be released within weeks.

Then how come I can import Gigapiano in a instant and have it stream perfectly with a cheap computer ?
    I beg to differ granted there may be some bugs with Kontakt ( that I\'ve not really seen yet), A LOT of the whining i\'ve seen on that forum I\'m not saying all but a lot has to do with people not having their computers configurated properly for disk streaming.

Obviously in the majority of forums like NI\'s you only hear from a percentage of the users of the platforms and more often than notyou hear from the people having the problems not from those streaming along happy.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Hi Franky,

What are the specs of your \"cheap\" rig?

Thanks,
    Ed

Cheap Rig :
    Athlon XP1700 1.47 Ghz cpu with 756 megs of SDRAM with a first generation Via KT133 Motherboard and one of the first 7200 rpm ATA 100 Hard Drives that came out.

Our Main rig (and it\'s a beauty) is a cryo watercooled Thouroughbred B Athlon XP3000+ running at the speed of a XP3200 (hovering around 2.5 Ghz)
    Nvidia2 KT400 EPOX 8RDA+ motherboard with dual channel DDR technology, 1 Gig of dual channel special Mushkin DDR400 memory, Western Digital special edition ATA 100 7200 RPM hard drive with 8 Megs of cache onboard (smokin !)
    Geforce 4 TI 4200 video Card with 128 megs of DDR memory onboard.

Of course this is all relative, for the Gigastudio 160 platform our \"cheap\" rig is almost perfect but for running Halion or Kontakt effectivly with large 24 bit high resolution libraries you need a good and fast computer, again though our cheap computer is running great with Kontakt and works with Halion streaming 4 Gig files, pretty cool, I\'m also convinced it would run fine also with a slower cpu like a 1Ghz P3 or 1Ghz Athlon processor.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Franky, does it really make sense to you that Native Instruments would admit that the DFD and Giga import bugs exist and will be fixed in the next Kontakt version if the problems were actually due to user incompetence?

And by the way, there is nothing particularly challenging about using any of these software samplers, so I don\'t see how users can screw up the simple act of importing and playing a Giga format file. On my system, which is relatively modest but tweaked for audio playback and recording, I can use both Gigastudio 96 and HALion without any disk-streaming problems. In my experience, HALion generally imports and plays Gigapiano and other Giga format files without major problems. By contrast, the Gigapiano key mapping is completely mangled when imported into Kontakt - this is not just my experience, it has been reported by many Kontakt users. Moreover, when using disk-streaming with Kontakt I encounter the same CPU spikes that dozens of other Kontakt users have reported.

I\'m not sure why I\'m going on like this, since these bugs have been well-documented on the NI users forum and the fixes are on the way. But as a music technology consumer, I am tired of hearing software and soundware developers blame the users for problems that are, in fact, due to defective products.

Ok instead of feuding how about I try to bring something positive to all of this, when I first setup Kontakt and played it in Cubase there were Cpu spikes that happen with Halion too.
    Question : Blueswest do you have WinXp installed and if so have you turned off Virtual memory totally (same for win98) and if using WinXp, have you set your processor scheduling to \"background Services\", these settings help me run Kontakt without any cpu spikes and streamming very well, maybe this can help, check out these settings too Simon, maybe they can help you stream better. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Franky, don\'t get in attack mode just because everybody doesnt agree with you or have the same experience with Kontakt.. My initial tests were extremely disappointing with somewhere between 5 and 20 voices before clicks and dropouts. Setting the buffer higher helped a bit but not much. And oh - geee - I wonder how come Halion and GS both stream perfectly well on this \'poorly setup\' machine. Do you have stocks with NI?

Go Back to forum