• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer Piano

Share/Bookmark

Re: PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer Piano

Hi, you can do a search using this forum\'s search engine you\'ll find numerous threads detailing exactly what you\'re looking for, this is also true of all discussion forums.

I don\'t own any of Michiel\'s libraries but what I can tell you is from comments on this forum, from the industry and from serious magazines like Sound on Sound that gave his Bos library 5 stars out of 5, this library is stellar and the benchmark as far as sampled Bosendorfer pianos go.
    Just listening to the demos you can see this is a first rate, world class sampled Bosendorfer.

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer Piano

I just ordered the PMI Grandioso Bosendofer Piano
    Kontakt ver. for my studio, and wondered if anybody else had heard it, and any comments on it.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks Franky,I did a search and found some interesting stuff on Bosendorfer and the Steinway.....may have to buy both!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi Workinstiff:

I was wondering whether you have any feedback now that you\'ve had a few weeks to try out the PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer.

Does it meet your expectations? How easy is it to install/implement mapping etc.? general pros and cons?

many thanks

gspin

Workinstiff,

I see that Franky didn\'t mention the other BOSENDORFER available from www.Bardstownaudio.com

I do own my sample of the Borsendorfer Imperial Grand Piano. This is the 16 bit version which was well worth the purchase and customer support. (There is a 24 bit version too!!)

If you\'d like to hear my latest scores employing this great sampled piano out of Bardstownaudio.com please visit my site below. My genres are Jazz and Pop.

I have generously scored 4 User Demos for CEO-Kip McGinnis in response to his customer support and sound advice.

http://bardstownaudio.com/frames/mp3.html

This piano has 34 patches accomodating any genre desired IMHO.

The more samples one carries in their sound arsenal the better for the battle that lies ahead. Do the reaearch and stay in touch.....

Alan Russell

Hi Alan, how you been ? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I didn\'t offer any information about the Bardstown Bosendorfer because that\'s not what the person who started the thread asked for, he did not ask about the different Bosendorfer libraries available, he asked for information about the Post Grandioso Bosendorfer. Also, it would\'ve possibly changed the conversation of the thread from info on the Post Grandioso Bosendorfer to \"which Bosendorfer is best, Bardstown or Post\" which can be considered as rude and impolite, that\'s why when people ask me about the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer, I don\'t go in the thread stating \"hey you forgot to mention the Post Bosendorfer\", I give them information about the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer, and when people ask me about the Post Grandioso Bosendorfer, I respond by giving information about the Post Grandioso Bosendorfer.

I\'m trying to think of a nicer way of write what I just did but I can\'t so I\'ll finish by saying even though my post can be perceived has being harsh, that\'s not what I was trying to do, just trying to explain my view on threads getting off course sometimes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly,
    Franky

Franky.

Originally posted by Franky:
    Hi, you can do a search using this forum\'s search engine you\'ll find numerous threads detailing exactly what you\'re looking for, this is also true of all discussion forums.

I don\'t own any of Michiel\'s libraries but what I can tell you is from comments on this forum, from the industry and from serious magazines like Sound on Sound that gave his Bos library 5 stars out of 5, this library is stellar and the benchmark as far as sampled Bosendorfer pianos go.
    Just listening to the demos you can see this is a first rate, world class sampled Bosendorfer.

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Coming from someone who (as far as I can tell) sells a (partly) competing product, this is a great endorsement.

But it also tells us we are dealing with a gentleman and, for that, hats off to you Franky!
    I will definitely take a close look at your Yamaha C7 as well!

Having said this, it would be great to receive some detailed feedback on the Post Bosendorfer from whoever has had a chance to try it.

cheers to all

gspin

Franky,

I understand completely. I was just trying to give the original poster a wider field to choose from.

Knowledge is power along with sharing and the experience one has. I can only vouch for Kip\'s sample and I\'m quite aware of the many great sampled pianos out there. Let\'s spread the wealth!

Alan Russell

Having said this, it would be great to receive some detailed feedback on the Post Bosendorfer from whoever has had a chance to try it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There has been tons written about the Post Bosendorfer on this board. Do a search, and start reading!

Lawrence

I echo Lawrence\'s sentiments exactly. The search would have to include the various short forms that folks use to refer to the PMI Bos.

But the thread\'s not totally redundant. It\'s sometimes useful to revisit issues like this, because minds can change over time about a sample. Or sometimes one\'s views just seem to get a little more precise after a longer period using the sample.

I\'m a PMI Bos man, mainly because of the ACCURACY of the piano tone. There isn\'t another sample on the market (in my view anyway) that comes close on that criterion.

But there are other criteria, too, which are more important to some listeners than they are to me: is the sample recorded close to the strings in a nearly dead environmennt; or is the sample recorded in a deliberately ambient or reverberant setting? That\'s one example (for me the most important outside of just plain accuracy) of an issue that\'s important to many users.

Post\'s PMI is revolutionary because it provides BOTH wet and dry samples. For myself, I use only the ambient sample. I wouldn\'t even consider using the dry sample. The ambient sample is dead on if your reference is solo piano recordings. The Wet PMI BOS is TONALLY INDISTINGUISHABLE from a reasonably good, or even a very good piano recording.

That just can\'t be said of any other sample currently on the market. ALL of them, including the Steinway B, which I like very much, are discernably UNREAL in one or more respects, although some do come VERY close. Close, but no cigar. The PMI BOS has a tone which is not only totally REAL but it is in many places downright beautiful.

Having said that, no sample is perfect, and that goes for the PMI BOS as well. Some distortion can be heard in some notes on the wet \"sustain\" sample, and on notes in the sampled vel. range between 1 and 16.

A minor distraction in light of how good the piano is in other key respects. Still, it is there.

Also, because the wet piano sample is a reverberant sound, it may sound \"thin\" compared with, say, the Steinway B sample. Again, this is a very subjective assessment, and one that carries little negative weight for me in view of the samples many terrific virtues. Once my ears adjusted, and I got accustomed to listening to BOTH samples, going back and forth between them, the PMI BOS won hands down over the Steinway B.

Unfortunately, the prospective buyer must (usually) make his decision on the basis of mp3s of the sample, which is really no way to fork out $100 or $200, unless you\'re very flush. Too bad we aren\'t at the stage where you can just walk into your local music store and actually try out the various piano samples!?! Wouldn\'t THAT make the decision easier!

J.G.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast