• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: JFF - Listen and Compare

Share/Bookmark

JFF - Listen and Compare

JFF = Just For Fun

I bring you two samples. The first is a mix-down through Sonar X1 of a song I composed 3 years ago. It was performed this past September by an excellent vocalist and a local concert pianist. I thought you might like to compare the live version to the version using the Garritan choir and Steinway piano. The main difference that can be heard, of course, is the Garritan Chorus does not sing the words.

As a side note, the vocalist is a local opera singer whose range is incredible! The piece was performed at the first of the Cleveland Composers Guild 2012-2013 Concert Season.

Here are the two recordings (MP3's - sorry, Box.com will still not take large wave files.) The piece was composed using a Pablo Neruda poem called "I Request Silence" where Neruda reflects on his long life and his anticipation of his coming death.

Garritan Aria version

Live version

Enjoy and please if you listen, leave a comment.

Thank you,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: JFF - Listen and Compare

I love posts with Live and MIDI versions of the same piece, they're always so interesting - Thanks for this one, Bill.

I need to give you a big, hearty Congratulations! on the recent performance at the Cleveland Composer's Guild concert. I wondered at first how that worked out, since you don't live in Cleveland - I get it now. Wiki tells me Lorain is only 30 miles west of Cleveland.

Really interesting source material, the poem you used for this. Your free form piece seems befitting of the mood Neruda was in when he wrote the poem. It's not the easiest music to listen to, it's actually "difficult" - but so is its subject matter.

Great singer, and the pianist too!

I listened to part of the MIDI version, but I really have an aversion to sampled "Ahs"--can only take it for so long, so had to stop it prematurely. But it was interesting to make some comparisons, and grasp how accurately your performers did the piece.

As for technical matters, the main difference in the recordings is how much more live ambience there is in the live recording - Your Garritan Steinway track doesn't seem to have any reverb in it. If you'd care to emulate a more natural, live sound, adding some Ambience or Convo room sound on the piano would make it come close to matching the sound in the live recording.

By the way, no need to apologize for posting MP3s - that's all most of us ever do. In fact, not until your recent tutorial post in General Discussion, did I realize that .wav files could even be played from Box! I've never posted a .wav file.

Really interesting post, Bill - I really appreciate you putting it up.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I love posts with Live and MIDI versions of the same piece, they're always so interesting - Thanks for this one, Bill.

I need to give you a big, hearty Congratulations! on the recent performance at the Cleveland Composer's Guild concert. I wondered at first how that worked out, since you don't live in Cleveland - I get it now. Wiki tells me Lorain is only 30 miles west of Cleveland.

Really interesting source material, the poem you used for this. Your free form piece seems befitting of the mood Neruda was in when he wrote the poem. It's not the easiest music to listen to, it's actually "difficult" - but so is its subject matter.

Great singer, and the pianist too!

I listened to part of the MIDI version, but I really have an aversion to sampled "Ahs"--can only take it for so long, so had to stop it prematurely. But it was interesting to make some comparisons, and grasp how accurately your performers did the piece.

As for technical matters, the main difference in the recordings is how much more live ambience there is in the live recording - Your Garritan Steinway track doesn't seem to have any reverb in it. If you'd care to emulate a more natural, live sound, adding some Ambience or Convo room sound on the piano would make it come close to matching the sound in the live recording.

By the way, no need to apologize for posting MP3s - that's all most of us ever do. In fact, not until your recent tutorial post in General Discussion, did I realize that .wav files could even be played from Box! I've never posted a .wav file.

Really interesting post, Bill - I really appreciate you putting it up.

Randy
    Thanks Randy,

Yes, it is a difficult listen. I agree, one can only take so many "ah's--------" before they get to be too much...

I, as you said, only posted it to show how well the two performers captured the mood and how accurate they both were. I am blessed with some very fine performers in the area - being close to the Cleveland Orchestra doesn't hurt, either. I have had a few of them perform my works also.

Ah, yes, reverb on the piano, probably convolution would be better to capture the essence of the room. I will have to experiment with that.

Again, Thanks for listening,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill, I am listening to your work right now. How did you go about composing "I Request" and getting the work performed?
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Bill, I am listening to your work right now. How did you go about composing "I Request" and getting the work performed?
    ~Rod
    Hi Rod,

I am a member of the Cleveland Composer's Guild. We submit works for performance and a committee selects those compositions that best reflect the Guild's collective. I have been fortunate to have mant selected. I became a member back in 1975 when one of the founding guild members was my teacher and tutor, Bain Murray.

To compose the work, I was taking a class in music composition (just for the fun of it) because the professor had studied with Elliott Carter. I was intrigued to get his insights. The piece was conceived as a mood piece to fit the meaning of the words by Pablo Neruda. My professor had just gotten the first translations of the Neruda poems from Spanish to English. He made it a class assignment to right a piece using one of the poems. I selected two, I Request Silence and Ode to Some Yellow Flowers. The first performances of the two poems were at Lorain County Community College (LCCC) in May of 2009 at a Latino Conference.

If you are asking what methods I used to compose the work, I would be glad to relay them to you. Not sure if that was the question.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Wonderful about the work getting picked! Yes, what methods did you use?
    ~Rod

Hi Rod,

It's all original composing. The first 5 notes of the vocal line are the basis for the work. I extrapolate and stretch those intervalic relations to create the moving parts in the piano and vocal lines. I am loose with my writing and I like to disguise the barline (a Carter technique.) It's hard to tell someone how I compose, I hear it and then put it to paper. I then play with it working the lines out that I like. It's much like painting (one of my hobbies.) You just have to have an eye/ear for it. If I could tell you how I do it, I would create more. It's a very illusive craft. I do not use any kind of software to create works like this, it's all what I hear in my head and put to paper - obviously, the paper is the computer screen nowadays, but it's basically the same, just easier to get rid of the 'crap' unlike Beethoven's ink blots!

I know I probably didn't answer your question. If you could be more specific, I will try to answer.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

I started listening to the Garritan midi version and I have to agree with Randy, I don't really like it. It doesn't provide a 'feel', an emotion of the poem's content.

The contrast with the live version is huge: There you have that living atmosphere originating from the poem. What a pity that I don't know what the lyrics are. It could give so much more information about your composition and the way you handled the emotions in it.

The performers are great. I really like the combination.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Max

I will gladly post the poem, it's wonderful.

I Request Silence
    Pablo Neruda

I request silence.
    Now leave me tranquil.
    Now get used to without me.
    I will close my eyes
    And I just want five things,
    five fa'vrite roots.

One is love love without end.
    Second is to see see the autumn.
    I cannot be without the leaf
    fly and return to the earth.

Third is the winter,
    the serious winter,
    the rain that I loved, the caress
    of the fire in the wild cold.

Fourth is summer
    round as a watermellon.

Fifth is your eyes,
    my beloved Matilde,
    I don't want to sleep without your eyes,
    I don't want to be without you looking at me:
    I change the spring
    for you to continue looking at me.
    Now if you want you can leave.

I have lived so much that one day
    You will have to forget for force,
    fading off the slate:
    my heart was endless.

But because I request silence
    Don't think that I will die:
    it happens just the opposite,
    it happens that I will live.

It happens that I am and that I continue.

Now, as always, it's early.
    The light flies with the bees

Leave me alone the day.
    I request permission to be born.

Thanks for the listen, Max.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I will gladly post the poem, it's wonderful.

I Request Silence
    Pablo Neruda

I request silence.
    Now leave me tranquil.
    Now get used to without me.
    I will close my eyes
    And I just want five things,
    five fa'vrite roots.

One is love love without end.
    Second is to see see the autumn.
    I cannot be without the leaf
    fly and return to the earth.

Third is the winter,
    the serious winter,
    the rain that I loved, the caress
    of the fire in the wild cold.

Fourth is summer
    round as a watermellon.

Fifth is your eyes,
    my beloved Matilde,
    I don't want to sleep without your eyes,
    I don't want to be without you looking at me:
    I change the spring
    for you to continue looking at me.
    Now if you want you can leave.

I have lived so much that one day
    You will have to forget for force,
    fading off the slate:
    my heart was endless.

But because I request silence
    Don't think that I will die:
    it happens just the opposite,
    it happens that I will live.

It happens that I am and that I continue.

Now, as always, it's early.
    The light flies with the bees

Leave me alone the day.
    I request permission to be born.

Thanks for the listen, Max.

Bill
    Thank you, Bill. Now your composition will be revealing its secrets. Don't blame it on the singer, she does a wonderful interpretation, but sometimes it's hard to pick up the lyrics in an art performance.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast