• Register
  • Help

Topic: Happy Halloween - some really neat images!

Share/Bookmark

Happy Halloween - some really neat images!

This is really fun. Famous Monsters of Filmland, a very important magazine to me as a kid (along with George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and other crazy guys my age) has been revived in the last few years. They're publishing the magazine again, and also have a great website with digital versions of their publications.

I entered a "Fan Art" contest recently, sending in the last, final monster image of Dorian Gray that was used in the first production of my show. My entry is a winner!

"FULL MOON" from Famous Monsters

When you get there, scroll a tiny bit to below the text box saying "Full Moon." You'll see the front page of FM's newest publication, Full Moon - Click that and it expands. Then there's a pop-up menu at the bottom to navigate with. The winning entries are on the final two pages - 36-37.

Spooky, fun stuff!

Randy

Re: Happy Halloween - some really neat images!

What a fun site. Thanks Randy, I've bookmarked it.

Took me back a few years, I remember hubby and me watching the Dr Phibes movies in the 70s. I think I used to read a comic called the crypt when I was a kid.

Congratulations on your winning entry, a suitably aged Dorian, quite gross!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    What a fun site. Thanks Randy, I've bookmarked it.

Took me back a few years, I remember hubby and me watching the Dr Phibes movies in the 70s. I think I used to read a comic called the crypt when I was a kid.

Congratulations on your winning entry, a suitably aged Dorian, quite gross!
    Thank you, Yjoh - Ah, you're thinking of the great old comic book, "Tales From The Crypt" - a classic.

Famous Monsters Magazine really was a major influence in American pop culture. It's great that we now have this modern incarnation of the company, still paying homage to iconic figures such as Lon Chaney Sr (and Jr!), Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi - the list goes on.

Designing multiple images for the slowly deteriorating picture of Dorian Gray was a major sub-project for me. I couldn't find anybody knowledgeable enough to do what I wanted, so I spent several months working in PhotoShop to distort high resolution pictures a photographer friend took of the actor. What you see on that page I posted is just one of several Dorian incarnations I needed to create. It was a great project, but a huge one to have on top of directing the show.

Thanks again - glad someone saw this!

Randy

I simply don't understand this day. Looking around in the world, every day, gives me the creeps. There are monsters out there.......... everywhere.

Raymond

Randy,

Yes! That was it... "Tales from the Crypt", a great comic. I also remember watching the original black & white Dorian and being shocked by the portrait at the end of the film. It was terrific.

I agree Raymond, the world is a worry, it gets creepier by the minute!

Just keep making music, it's the best thing in the world.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thank you, Yjoh

Famous Monsters Magazine really was a major influence in American pop culture. It's great that we now have this modern incarnation of the company, still paying homage to iconic figures such as Lon Chaney Sr (and Jr!), Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi - the list goes on.

Randy
    I think my favorite horror actor was Vincent Price. He was capable of the most despicable sub-human evilness but he did it with real class. He,he.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I think my favorite horror actor was Vincent Price. He was capable of the most despicable sub-human evilness but he did it with real class. He,he.
    Price really was a wonderful actor.

One of my most vivid memories of seeing a live performance was when I saw Vincent Price in his one man show "Diversions and Delights," in which he portrayed Oscar Wilde. I had been a Price fan since I was a kid, but to see him on stage showed me how we really never got to see the depth and power he was capable of in the films he did. For 1 1/2 hours, nobody else on stage but Price, he was extremely funny, and at times so tragic, he was in total command of his craft and had the entire audience in the palm of his hand. Excellent actor. - And I got to meet him backstage - unforgettable.

Randy

Go Back to forum