• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Harry Potter Score

Share/Bookmark

Harry Potter Score

Is it my imagination or does the orchestration score for Harry Potter rip off the starwars theme?
    Listen to the score at the end of the movie with the credits and tell me if you here it ?
    Im not sure how many notes in a continous sequence constitutes copywrite infringment.

Re: Harry Potter Score

Don\'t be ridiculous. I could take the Indiana Jones theme, twist and turn it around, and make a whole new theme. People would know that it\'s a spoof off of Indiana Jones, but it wouldn\'t break any laws. If similar note sequences is considered plagurism, (sp?) than all of us here are guilty.

Um...yeah...I\'m sure John Williams will read this, curse aloud, run to the phone, call his attorney, and sue himself for copyright infringement...
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Kenn159:
    Im not sure how many notes in a continous sequence constitutes copywrite infringment. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Um...yeah...I\'m sure John Williams will read this, curse aloud, run to the phone, call his attorney, and sue himself for copyright infringement...
    -Hudson
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Strangely enough a composer could be in a position of being sued for plagiarising their own work. By the time the movie is finished the recorded works are usually owned by the film company not the composer himself. I read an excerpt of an online discussion with Hans Zimmer an people kept asking where to get his scores. He apologetically told them that he cant supply a score as he no longer owns the work.

Cheers, Scott.

Check out Jeremy Soule\'s quotation of a familiar Star Wars theme in \"Character Theme\" (around 0:49) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/S_supplies.html

\"Composed by Jeremy Soule of Artistry Entertainment\"

hehe [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

btw, I have read that Williams still owns the publishing rights to his music, so this can\'t be done with permission from Lucasarts as \"owner\" of JW\'s music, which also would have required a \"permission\" note.

Who cares? Just a string of notes.

Scott, the ownership you refer to means the publishing rights; the composer still gets his royalties for being the original author, but he/she no longer has decisive control over his work.

Star Wars theme in Harry Potter? Ehh.. sure sure... Why don\'t you provide us with a clip of the similarities that you say you found.

I am sure Jeremy Soule was allowed to make this quote though - it\'s not like he\'s trying to hide it, and it\'s rather long

Oh I see , I didnt know that the same writer of the starwars theme wrote the Harry Potter theme.
    I guess thats elementary to most of you, I dont have the knowledge in orchestration and mockups , just use giga studio as a occasional accompaniament to acoustic instruments .
    Anyway I guess he is just ripping himself off then.

Kenn: And I guess you should try actually comparing the two and tell me what the ripoff consists of. I know more or less all of John Williams\' stuff by heart and I never heard any similarity between any of the Harry Potter music and the Star Wars main theme (or any other major SW theme).

The ripoff is not in the main star wars song, its in the music that you hear while the movie is playing.
    The music would usually play while evil was present, like in scenes with Darth Vador.
    I havent watched all the Star wars movies , so I cant say how many of them have this simular piece , but the one movie that I know I have heard it in is the second one back , the one which was very kid oriented.
    I dont have that movie here or I would burn to mp3 and let you here.
    Peace out, Ken

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast