• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: [OT] Mac Memory problem-any ideas?

Share/Bookmark

Re: [OT] Mac Memory problem-any ideas?

OS 9 can only see 999MB per application. Swith to OS X and live happily ever after. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[OT] Mac Memory problem-any ideas?

Hey Guys,

I\'ve got a memory problem under OS9 on my mac. It seems that the Finder (System) uses far more memory than it should. I recently added a few DIMM\'s and now have 1.75gb of memory.
    The system when booted uses around 350-400 megs of ram which seems insane. I checked my old machine (a G4/400 with 1gb of memory) which uses around 80mb, the amount I would expect it to be.
    The extension set on both machines is identical (bar a midi extension here and there)

My new machine is a Dual 1ghz mac with 1.75gb. Both machines run OS 9.2.2
    I ran Protools D24 on both machines with a Creamware Scope/SP card (one of the reasons I haven\'t switched to OS X yet).
    I don\'t use virtual memory.

Anyone got any ideas? Is the OS just taking more ram because there is more in the machine? I tried a clean 9.2.2 install but even then the OS still uses around 320 mb. A friend of mine with the same machine and 1gb of memory just needs around 80mb for his system.

Cheers,

Joris

Thanks for a completely useless reply.
    Ofcourse I\'m aware that problems like these don\'t exist under OS X; don\'t you think I would have switched if it were a possibillity? The fact remains that despite Apple\'s best efforts to force everybody to use X, many applications still don\'t work under it (my scope card and some often used TDM plugins being some of them), and until they do, switching is not an option.

Your 999mb remark doens\'t account for the fact that my OS seems to use around 5x as much memory as it should...

Cheers,

Joris

Hasen is right with his answer. I *think* that OS9 has a physical limit of 1.5GB. Try pulling out a 256MB if you\'ve got one in there (I believe you do, it sounds like you have 3 512\'s and a 256), and see if the RAM issue goes away. After that, drop down to 1.25GB, and then 1.0GB.

Then live happily in OS9 for as long as necessary till all the programs you need are available in OSX. There *are* reasons people still buy the dual-boot machines. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Joris de Man:
    Ofcourse I\'m aware that problems like these don\'t exist under OS X; don\'t you think I would have switched if it were a possibillity? The fact remains that despite Apple\'s best efforts to force everybody to use X, many applications still don\'t work under it (my scope card and some often used TDM plugins being some of them), and until they do, switching is not an option.

Your 999mb remark doens\'t account for the fact that my OS seems to use around 5x as much memory as it should...

Cheers,

Joris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Joris, I\'m just curious, what TDM plugs do you use that are still not OSX? I had to wait too...but all the big ones are compatible now, from McDSP to Bombfactory to Sony,to Waves, etc.

Ofcourse I\'m aware that problems like these don\'t exist under OS X; don\'t you think I would have switched if it were a possibillity?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nope. I used to be the same way as you, waiting for one last plug to be converted before I made the switch. Just forget that plug and switch already. Just use OS X for absolutely everything apart from stuff that needs that plug.

As for OS 9 taking up 400MB on the OS, well its just being silly. It tends to do that a lot. Sod123 could be right though, but I thought that revision of Mac could support 2GB.

Hasen is right with his answer. I *think* that OS9 has a physical limit of 1.5GB.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, and anything beyond that gets assigned to the Finder or the System orr whatever. OS X can recognize 2GB (for now - the G5s have room for 8GB, and the next OS X should actually recognize more than that).

Far more fundamental considerations than memory will determine whether you\'re happy switching to OS X, and from what I can see it depends on the programs you\'re using.

Some TDM plug-ins aren\'t going to make the transition to OS X. Lexiverb, for example. But pretty much all the important ones I use are on OS X now: Waves (of course), Wave Mechanics. TC Master-X, Access Virus, McDSP...

Anyone got any ideas? Is the OS just taking more ram because there is more in the machine? I tried a clean 9.2.2 install but even then the OS still uses around 320 mb. A friend of mine with the same machine and 1gb of memory just needs around 80mb for his system.

Cheers,

Joris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">check your memory control panel. It is probably that your disk cache is set to automatic, which allocates a percentage of your total RAM. take this down to like 8 megs or whatever and you will be good to go.

-mike

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the pissed of reply from me, Hasen, but being stuck with this problem and then having somebody go \'use OS X\'when it\'s not an option was just frustrating.

I do plan to move to OS X asap when everything works.
    Tom,the scope card is an integral part of my system; I use it as an ASIO driver for Logic (the latency is incredibly low) and for routing stuff to and from Protools. I also use Protools in Logic for the Audiotracks and the combination of both cards is incredibly flexible. All my outboard stuff gets routed via protools to the scope which means you can run plugins realtime on them (both TDM and VST).
    Next to that the modular 3 synth on it is fantastic!
    Until this card runs under OSX I\'ll still have to stick to Os9...
    But you\'re right about the TDM plugins, although Lexiverb is a definite favourite. I don\'t have a mixfarm (D|24 with 3 \'vintage\'farms) so something like reverb one is not an option..yet

It\'s a shame OS9 won\'t use more than 1.5gb..it does make sense then that the operating system takes the rest.
    Cheers!!!

Joris

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the pissed of reply from me, Hasen, but being stuck with this problem and then having somebody go \'use OS X\'when it\'s not an option was just frustrating.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No problem. I guess the only reason I said it was because the same was said to me every time I had a problem with OS 9 in the past. For what its worth I do still use OS 9 but just for sequencing and only because certain plugs/VSTis only run in it.

It\'s a shame OS9 won\'t use more than 1.5gb..it does make sense then that the operating system takes the rest.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think its only 999MB per app.

Go Back to forum