• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SAM Horns Review

Share/Bookmark

Re: SAM Horns Review

Well, Sam, I was gonna check out your site and the review...but according to the scolding I just got when I tried to access your web page (pasted below), I\'m single handedly bringing about the demise of the internet and stunting any potential progress it may have by using Netscape 4.7. No wonder why Bill Gates never returns my phone calls...
    My sincerest apologies to all of you. I\'m sure you would all have cable access now with 10mbps up/down and every web page would have some flashy java-movie-thingy were it not for me and my selfish browsing ways. I\'m going to take one for the team now and throw my computer off a bridge so you may all move forward.
    Think of me the next time you watch Celine Dion\'s newest Chrysler commercial...erm...i mean music video in streaming quicktime format. Goodbye, dear internet...it\'s been...sniff sniff...whimper...fun!!
    -Hudson

Taken from Sam\'s site:
    \"It appears as though you\'re using Netscape 4. I\'m not sure why you\'re using a browser that was developed in the early 90s, but maybe you can explain below as to why you haven\'t upgraded to Netscape 6 or 7, or another browser entirely (such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla).

By continuing to use Netscape 4, you\'re forcing web designers to have to conform to old standards just so that pages will show up properly in Netscape 4. Basically, you are holding back everyone else from moving forward into new design techniques and making sites more usable. Stop the madness now! Fill out the form below, and you will be given some links to upgrade your browser.

Explain why you are still using Netscape 4:\"

My explanatin? Nothing personal, but I don\'t want some condescending snot-nose, whether it be Bill Gates or the person who wrote this rubbish, dictating what I should or should not be using to view the internet, thank you very much.

Very nice Sam! Nice job!

Looking forward for more reviews...

Martin

Short, clear and useful. It reads like the findings of a colleage sample user who has every intension not to bore someone too much. Very good indeed.

I want more.

Hudson:

Heheh.. sorry \'bout that. You have to put yourself in the shoes of a web designer/developer who does this all day long, and all the headaches we go through making sure our pages look OK on Netscape 4. I was this close to starting a boycott against it and advocating that sites not support it at all.

I\'ve found some workarounds with some of the shortcomings, though, and will take the NS4 restriction off.

You should try to get a better understanding, though, of why NS4 is such a problem. It\'s not that everyone is moving towards 10Mbps connections and fancy Flash intros. NS4 does not fully support style sheets, which are a DEFINITE benefit to everybody, and special formatting (especially margins and padding) do not work properly on NS4. You should really consider other options, such as Netscape 7 or Mozilla. You don\'t HAVE to use IE. I don\'t.

PS: I tried to private message you an apology but it seems you don\'t accept private messages. My message you pasted is a bit elitist.. I think I was just having a bad day at work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Plus that was about five or six months ago, my perspectives have changed--though I still think NS4 should be phased out and not be offered for download anymore. Oh well.

Alex, Martin: Glad you liked the review. I\'ll continue writing them. Next will be SAM Trombones if I get it within a decent time. Otherwise, I\'ll be writing up a review on Xsample Volume 8 (harp, celesta, psalter, klavichord).

Hee hee...no private apology needed, Sam, but I do appreciate it. I was in a silly mood when I wrote it, so there no genuine hostility there.
    I use Netscape 4.79 because I find it to be a lot faster than IE6 or Netscape 7, less cluttered, and the email and bookmarks are infinitely easier to manage. I can\'t stand the other two in comparison, but that\'s just me. Anyway, I look forward to reading the review.
    -Hudson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MDesigner:
    PS: I tried to private message you an apology but it seems you don\'t accept private messages. My message you pasted is a bit elitist.. I think I was just having a bad day at work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Great job! Very informative!
    9.5 - Is it really that good?

It is so admirable when someone takes it upon himself or herself to share empirical data. With all of the discussion on whether sample library demos are misleading or not, one also needs this type of review data to make an informed decision on whether or not to even consider making a purchase. We are all aware of the cost of libraries now days and cannot afford to purchase something only to find it is in ones opinion - substandard. What makes it worse and really gets me P.O’d is that I cannot sell the P.O.S to someone who may indeed like it.

I know there are plenty of reviews in all the mags about the new libraries, but more reviews and data will not hurt one bit in this case.

Well, keep up the great work Sam H.
    KUDOS!

MastersMusic

Sam: I would have only given the fellas a 9.4 , but I\'m a cold hearted b**tard that way! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nice review. The thing now is that you are going to have be the first person to get these libraries so the rest of us uninformed chimps know what we are buying. I see a lot of purchases (...free testing demos?) in your future.

Good luck
    again , nice work-nice layout

christianb

9.543 here! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wow.. very positive responses! In my first thread announcing these reviews, I said that the responses to my first review would largely determine my continuation of writing them. Well hey, full speed ahead. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hudson: I forgot to mention, your initial post was hilarious. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] BTW, if you want a fast, non-bloated browser, try Phoenix (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/). Eventually Mozilla is going to end at 1.4, and then the Mozilla/Netscape team is going to focus on Phoenix because it\'s so much faster and lightweight. Give it a shot.

And does SAM Horns deserve a 9.5? I think so. Again, this is my first review, so maybe I went a little too crazy. I mean, if I gave it a score of 8.5 or 9.0, why would it deserve that kind of score? Just because there are no muted staccs/marcatos? Nah, not big enough of an issue. And I can\'t really find much else wrong with the library. Plus, I AM taking into consideration the fact that the average price is around US$90 or so. For what you\'re paying for, you\'re getting a GREAT value. If SAM Horns had cost US$1000, the score would\'ve been lower. Maybe I need to add a \"Value\" category--how much you get for what you pay. Hm..

Taken from Sam\'s site:
    \"It appears as though you\'re using Netscape 4. I\'m not sure why you\'re using a browser that was developed in the early 90s, but maybe you can explain below as to why you haven\'t upgraded to Netscape 6 or 7, or another browser entirely (such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla).

By continuing to use Netscape 4, you\'re forcing web designers to have to conform to old standards just so that pages will show up properly in Netscape 4. Basically, you are holding back everyone else from moving forward into new design techniques and making sites more usable. Stop the madness now! Fill out the form below, and you will be given some links to upgrade your browser.

Explain why you are still using Netscape 4:\"

My explanatin? Nothing personal, but I don\'t want some condescending snot-nose, whether it be Bill Gates or the person who wrote this rubbish, dictating what I should or should not be using to view the internet, thank you very much.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Hehehehe. As another web developer here I got a real chuckle out of that. In fact I\'m still chuckling!! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hudson, believe it or not, Netscape themselves have admitted that the 4.7 version of their browser wasn\'t exactly a show stopper.

Sam, look on the other side though; I was contracting for a large I.T. Company two years ago. At the time, our biggest client had 4.7 installed on all of the company computers. THe site (actually more of an online application) had to work in all current browsers of the time including NS 4.7.
    Now I swear I\'m not making this up, because of NS 4.7 I got about another 12 months of work at the I.T. company! Everything worked in IE pretty much right off the bat. We spent endless months though writing code work arounds for NS 4.

PS: Sorry folks, I could not carry out the plan to have mp3 samples of most articulations. It would just be too easy for people to steal. If anyone has any clever ideas on how to get around that, let me know.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">How about embedding the mp3 inside Flash? Or a Jave applet? One other option, make it a streaming file from Real Player, there is no \"Save as\" option available. - I dont think any of these methods are completely fool-proof but it would stop most casual users from downloading.

Actually, you could even add a little tiny bit of white noise behind the articulation. Not enough to be annoying, but enough to make the file useless in a sampling situation. I heard once that Nine Inch Nails did it deliberately over a song that started with just kick and snare to stop people from sampling it.

By the way Sam, great review. I think your onto a winner with this idea.

Regards, Scott.

Go Back to forum