• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with EXS24 reading Gig files

Share/Bookmark

Problem with EXS24 reading Gig files

Hi All,

I\'m hoping someone can lend some insight to the problem I\'m having. I\'m running Logic 6.2 with EXS24. I want to offload some of the work from my Giga to the EXS so I put several .gig files in the Logic 6-->Sampler Instruments folder so I could convert them within the EXS. I would much rather EXS do the conversion than use Translator.

The EXS found the first .gig file just fine...but since then it doesn\'t recognize them. I\'ve rebooted, recopied them, used project manager, verified permissions, etc... Still EXS only sees EXS files and no Gig files. They are definitely straight ahead .gig files...not executables. In fact they\'re all from the GOS library, including that one and only first file that did convert properly.

I\'m brand new to the EXS and Emagic is completely stumped. Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?

thanks,
    jaime

Re: Problem with EXS24 reading Gig files

Hi. Are the .gig files buried in some folders? If so, try to move them closer to the root directory.

Are the file names fairly long? Try shortening them quite a bit.

Did the .gig extension get taken off of the file name? If so, manually put it back on.

A few things to try...

hey purple,
    When exs converts the .gig file into an exs instrument, wav files are created in the \"DLS-Giga samples\" folder located in the logic folder. Once that happens you can ditch the gig files (they are taking up twice the space they need to on your drive) as the exs instrument looks for the wav files. It\'s the .exs files in the exs browser you should be clicking on.

christianb

edit:
    I just re-read your post a bit more carefully and I\'m not sure I understood correctly at first. Hence, ignore my dumb a** and follow the gentlemens advice above.

Originally posted by purplememer:
    I\'m brand new to the EXS and Emagic is completely stumped. Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?

thanks,
    jaime
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I bet you that you .gig files have file names which are too long. EXS has a stupid bug that prevents it from seeing these types of files...

I bet you that you .gig files have file names which are too long. EXS has a stupid bug that prevents it from seeing these types of files...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Mike...that certainly did the trick. It\'s funny, because I rebooted into OS9 to see if Logic/EXS would recognize the .gig files there and sure enough it did, long file names and all.

When I went back to X, of course nada. I just shortened the names and got rid of any spaces in the filename of the gig\'s and oila, there the are. Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jaime

Go Back to forum