• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: All EWQL - Symphony 2, part 1

Share/Bookmark

All EWQL - Symphony 2, part 1

Finished the first part: LINK Duration: 17:35.

Since SONAR and PLAY failed on this, I had to output every instrument from the Overture score (took 10 hrs). Imported them into SONAR for further tweaking, added Altiverb (Concertgebouw IR) and gave it some extra juice with EQL.

So, when you have nothing to do this weekend, feel free to listen and to comment.

Raymond

Re: All EWQL - Symphony 2, part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Finished the first part: LINK Duration: 17:35.

Since SONAR and PLAY failed on this, I had to output every instrument from the Overture score (took 10 hrs). Imported them into SONAR for further tweaking, added Altiverb (Concertgebouw IR) and gave it some extra juice with EQL.

So, when you have nothing to do this weekend, feel free to listen and to comment.

Raymond
    I am definitely not qualified to comment on the technical aspects of the recording. But the music in and of itself is marvelous; an orchestral showpiece that would please audience and performer alike. Your mixture of tonal color and instrumental effects create a subtle ambience that lures the listener from bar to bar. Wonderful.

Raymond,

A magnificent movement with a very delicate and subtle balance in atonal and tonal harmony. The start is pretty present day and yet surprisingly (to me anyway) listenable. The whole piece moves then almost invisibly towards a perfect end in peace and harmony. You managed to obtain a constant flow that keeps inviting the listener to wonder what will come next with a path full of orchestral surprises. How brilliant!
    Another good word again for the pure and realistic orchestral and solo sound. You're really a master in that matter.
    You mention that you worked with Ouverture for your score to play it. To me, that sounds very familiar, since I only work with direct recordings from the notation software (either Notion (4) or Finale). I never use DAWs, so I have to put in all the performance details into the score. (Could be an advantage for a future live performance).

Sincere congratulations with this symphony, part I. I look forward to the other movements!

Max

For those who are puzzled about the "opening" of which instrument was used:

simply a waterphone. Since a strange error will not allow me displaying this instrument, I ask you to do a Google search. It is a legitimate symphonic instrument. Further I used the "cluster" setting for violins 1 and violins 2 on different base notes.

Raymond

Max and Tom, thank you for your comments (merely compliments). As Max pointed out the balance between tonal and atonal harmonies was very hard to get. Compare this with a very rough and rocky panorama, it is so interesting that you keep looking at it, but the asphalt of the tonal road you are on is like homecoming and very comforting. I tried solving the outbursts over and over again to things we are accustomed to, that is "tonality".

Greetings,

Raymond - and now for part 2 (a bit shorter, I promise).
    [PS, Later I will reveal the fundamental story behind it all]

Raymond,

I think I've heard the waterphone used in sound track work and it makes for an interesting if also dark beginning to your Symphony 2. I checked the waterphone out on YouTube.

It sounds to me like there is an underlying story or theme here of many elements from peacefulness to confusion and possibly chaos.

It was pretty long but it had plenty of interest which kept my attention. Well, until the political junk calls would interrupt me.

I'm not qualified either to critique something this large in scope but I can only tell you it sounds very good to me.

My hats off to you!

Phil

The Concertgebow ambience is the finest choice for a kind of work like this.
    I've found a Mahlerian flavor in it that makes me guess how it will sound under the baton of Bernard Haitink.
    And what about the Wagnerian taste of the beginning? I already wrote about it when you submitted the first sketch of this masterpiece.
    I will go listening through all day long.
    Bravo.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Raymond, ever since you teased us awhile back with a preview of this, I've been looking forward to an updated post. That was good showmanship, to give us a preview, teasing us into looking forward to the entire movement - Worked on me!

Ah yes, the wonderful Waterphone in the opening that a lot of the public calls "The Matrix sound" (since that's a perfect example of the sound being key to a movie's sound track)- blending with the orchestra - I love that opening. And then I just keep loving the entire emotional roller coaster ride of the entire movement.

Proud to know you, Raymond - You're a talent to be reckoned with and the world should start learning your name!

Randy

P.S.--what did you mean when you said, "...a strange error will not allow me displaying this instrument..." ?

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

P.S.--what did you mean when you said, "...a strange error will not allow me displaying this instrument..." ?
    I tried inserting the picture of that waterphone, but somehow a strange error prevented doing so.

Thanks you for the compliments. Right now I am busy with the 2nd part.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I tried inserting the picture of that waterphone, but somehow a strange error prevented doing so.

Thanks you for the compliments. Right now I am busy with the 2nd part.

Raymond
    Ah, well let's see if this Waterphone picture works:

I'd never seen a picture of one before, so I was glad to do the search! And here's a page with information:

Waterphone explanation

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast