• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 4 download version and some questions about GPO

Share/Bookmark

GPO 4 download version and some questions about GPO

Hi
    I am interesting about GPO 4. In finale page is store with GPO4 and there is write in System Requirements: Finale 2009 or newer and DVD drive required.
    This is a version only for finale with DVD or can i open this product as VSTi in DAW?
    Is it possible buy a download version?

In GPO is possible play instruments from pppp to ffff with change timbres? For example: horn make crescendo from pp to fff and you hear timbres between pp to fff. I have this question because, i saw page where is demonstrate expresion control, but in some video i saw lots of patch intruments like: hornF, hornFF, horn overlap/overlay or something that.

Re: GPO 4 download version and some questions about GPO

Quote Originally Posted by kvapka View Post
    Hi
    I am interesting about GPO 4. In finale page is store with GPO4 and there is write in System Requirements: Finale 2009 or newer and DVD drive required.
    This is a version only for finale with DVD or can i open this product as VSTi in DAW?
    Is it possible buy a download version?

In GPO is possible play instruments from pppp to ffff with change timbres? For example: horn make crescendo from pp to fff and you hear timbres between pp to fff. I have this question because, i saw page where is demonstrate expresion control, but in some video i saw lots of patch intruments like: hornF, hornFF, horn overlap/overlay or something that.
    When you go to Finale's front page, click Products, then Garritan - when you click to buy GPO4, the first option is for download. To have a DVD hard copy, there's an extra $10 charge.

That's the full GPO which comes with the ARIA Player. It's the same GPO that non-Finale users buy, but is of course compatible with Finale. You would have a stand-alone version of ARIA with GPO4, as well as the VST versions to use in any music software program you want.

When GPO instruments are played, there is a timbre change depending on the current volume, which is controlled either by MIDI CC1 or CC11. I'm not a Finale user, but I believe you need to instruct Finale to interpret dynamic changes to be done through CC1 or 11 instead of the default CC7 which doesn't effect timbre changes.

The various versions of the Horn example you used are for getting the most variety in sound possible. The Overlay sound isn't an instrument, but a special effect that DAW software users can layer in with the regular instruments to introduce a ringing/brassy sound on loud notes.

Randy

Thanks Randy for answer.

HI,
    as I saw how GPO was born since its very early version on the little silver kontakt, I can tell you that:

To have a timbre change the sound has to be made by more than one sample, and these samples has to be layered among them with somekind of transition in between (for example the crossfade). The smooth passage from a dynamic to another was a great issue in the very beginning of the sample based DAWs development. Garritan was maybe the 1st in the world to achieve a convincing result in this with his well-known "Garritan Orchestral Strings" which were running under GigaStudio (originally the GOS were 20 CDs!).
    As you know technology goes fast...And the market has started to produce even more realistic instruments based on the Garritan's prophetic view. But this meant a very large amount of samples. More than a single CPU could manage at that time. So there was another issue: how to make a very nice sounding virtual instrument without killing the PC's resources? Garritan was up again and produced the GPO, using the DFD technology (direct-from-disk: the samples were read in real time from the HD without stressing the RAM) marking one more time a turning point...but it wasn't enough!
    He left the multi-layer samples and chose one convincing sample (so one dynamic only) focusing on the use of the Modulation Wheel which was programmed to turn up and down the volume of a single sound, giving the possibility to have a great expression with the instrument like never before. But the fact was that you listened to a "fortissimo" played instrument at a low volume on your "pianissimo" performance. So, once again, Gary found the light and linked a filter with the modulation wheel: the fortissimo sample was strongly filtered on low dynamics giving to you the illusion of a more tender sound - it was the same sample however. This technique was truly, truly smart! For the first time even a laptop was able to load a huge amount of instruments without a quality loss.
    After this dissertation () I can say that it's not depending by Finale itself if you can achieve a convincing dynamic passage, but on HOW Finale manage the dynamics in strictly relation with the Sample Library's in use features.
    Personally I use Sibelius and it's very hard to have a realistic result without a lot of programming.
    A good software to make this is NOTION, which was created just for live performances..so it is in its own nature.

The hornsF/hornsFF, overlay and so on were made to give the freedom to the user to make more complex sounds with a powerful PC. In few words this feature let you to create YOUR personal layerings, based on the capacity of your computer.

Hope this helps, good luck!
    Francesco
    nothing is forever

Thanks for technical info Francesco. This is interesting.

Go Back to forum