• Register
  • Help

Topic: new comp for a rainy day

new comp for a rainy day

Yeah, I know. Rain in Vancouver...who\'d figure? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Anyway, just mixed this and looking for any comments.
    It\'s my attempt (flailingly though it may be) to try and get the best string sound I can out of my mini libraries, and realizing at the same time that they ain\'t EW or VSL [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Work with what you got, that\'s what my girlfriend always tells me.
    It meanders for a bit but be careful of crescendo at around 2 minutes.

Re: new comp for a rainy day

Originally posted by christianb:

Work with what you got, that\'s what my girlfriend always tells me.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You know what they say about size, but at least you\'re honest about it.

Alex Cremers

Myrtle Beach, SC (USA)

Hey Christian, very nice composition! I enjoyed listening to it! And the strings don\'t really sound all that bad... (I\'d love to hear this same piece of music played on VSL or SI strings.) I can agree with what your girlfriend says \"work with what you got.\" Your MUSIC is what really matters! Whether you compose with a single synth or the biggest, best Giga system available.... you are a composer and your compositions will speak for themselves. Yeah, I know, it always helps to have cool equipment and the latest, greatest samples.... but, like she said, \"work with what you got\"... you can always upgrade to bigger & better as you go! Again, very nice work on the composition. Very enjoyable! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .............. Gary

Nice to hear a piece with a more intimate string sound with a \"solo\" quality to it.

Highlights for me were at 0:27, what I\'d term a \"melting moment\" when the string harmonies meld together very nicely. The clarinet at 0:40 adds a nice \"bite\" to the strings and there is a good build-up at 0:51. It seems to me that maybe it could resolve a bit more as it leaves you with an sense of anticipation that\'s not quite fulfilled.

I really liked the soaring quality of the string line at 2:06, but I felt the percussions were a bit overused (one of my own main failings BTW).

Finally, the ending around 2:58 felt a bit abrupt - maybe a gentler fade out would have worked better?

Good music [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Christian.

I downloaded this one the first day you posted it but I felt this was quite more intimate and less immediate than, let´s say Behemoth, and I wanted to have it around to hear it for a few days occasionally and see how it evolved on me.

It´s nice but there a few things I would have done in a different way (not better, but my own)

The strings start with a nice subtle entrance which I rather enjoy. And then the bass strings make their entrance...a bit too subtle to my taste. It´s nice but I had this feeling of \"almost there\" (like when Red leader fails with the proto torp...uh...whatever [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ). You should have been less scared of breaking the mood and get into it.

I´m also missing a piano for all the initial part. You know, for rainy days there´s nothing like a piano. It´s the \"automatic rainy mood\" secret weapon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You could have benefitted from it a lot at all the initial part, because it really respects and enhances subtle passages if used correctly.

Very nice dynamics at 2:30. VERY nice. I like that. A very elegant way to get into the grey mood again.
    Through the final stages of the piece I felt the treble side of the strings had been abused a bit, getting that feeling of \"too much of the same tone\". It´s a consequence of the whole theme though, not just of the final part.

As for the samples, well, I´m usually with you. I also try to respect the music instead of \"playing for the samples\", but to a point you should try to minimize your harm, for instance avoiding or working harder on violin runs such as the one around 2:11. For other things like overall tone you got to go ahead with the libs you got, but these little things surely can be improved. You had a similar run at the end of Behemoth and it also screamed \"computers ahead!\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Overall it´s nice stuff, but I´m not jumping like a little girl for it [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Remember though, this is just another opinion...and not and specially wise one, by the way.

If you keep ´em coming at this rate one of these days you´re going to make the perfect one. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

For this genre, I\'m not sure if the piece goes somewhere. It doesn\'t really need to per se, but for me it\'s more of a weakness of the first half, the second half picks up very nicely indeed. I pretty much echo what others have said. Not your best piece, but still very good work. I do enjoy the intimacy of this very much.

Very nice one indeed! I do picture myself in Vancauver weather.

What string library did you use?

sorry for late reply, as you know I have been in small hell trying to figure out how to setup my new computer (win xp) to use gigastudio.

Anyway, to your composition...

I think it\'s wandering too much and could need some work on the theme so it will have more ground. Now it\'s like the ground is unsecure and slippery and the theme don\'t quite make it.

So in short my advice is, try to fix the harmony and voice leading so the harmony progression will be clearer. Some of the passing notes could be eliminated or fixed for better result.

Oh, now I sound like a judge in American Idol or something. Sorry! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum