• Register
  • Help

Topic: CC1 Problems

Share/Bookmark

CC1 Problems

Hi,

I've got some problems in a piece I'm composing at the moment.
    I'm using sounds from Garritan CoMB (and some from EWQLSO for percussion for example).

I'm experiencing troubles in the clarinet part, whose level is managed with CC1 events.
    I ended a musical phrase with some CC1 messages going down (decrescendo), but a few bars later, wanting the clarinets to play loud, adding a CC1 with value 100, nothing occurs !!! Clarinets still playing soft.

I don't understand.
    I use Sonar Poducer 8.5.

Any idea ? Is it a bug ?

Thanks
    Alex (from France)
    Windows XP. P4.
    Full GPO and CoMB.
    Finale 2008 and Sonar 7 PE.

Mostly writing music for concert Band.
    Publishing his own work.
    http://www.alexandrecarlin.com/catalog

Re: CC1 Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Irish28 View Post
    Hi,

I've got some problems in a piece I'm composing at the moment.
    I'm using sounds from Garritan CoMB (and some from EWQLSO for percussion for example).

I'm experiencing troubles in the clarinet part, whose level is managed with CC1 events.
    I ended a musical phrase with some CC1 messages going down (decrescendo), but a few bars later, wanting the clarinets to play loud, adding a CC1 with value 100, nothing occurs !!! Clarinets still playing soft.

I don't understand.
    I use Sonar Poducer 8.5.

Any idea ? Is it a bug ?

Thanks
    Alex (from France)
    Alex, you need to go to the project properties and under MIDI options, un-check the option "Zero controllers when playback stops." Sonar defaults to that being on, but it doesn't work for Garritan users. When your CC1 data is zeroed out whenever you stop playback - you'll have no volume when you start again. With that option turned off, un-checked, your current CC1 level will remain the same when you push Play.

Since you're using DAW software, I want to encourage you to use CC1 volume control in a continuous fashion. Don't just insert a value and call it good. It's best to record CC1 volume with a Mod Wheel, but it can be drawn in also, as long as you keep almost continuously fluctuating at least a little bit. That will make your results much more natural sounding.

Randy

Go Back to forum