• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Card Latency

Share/Bookmark

Sound Card Latency

Yippee!!!!!
    Finally, having bought GOS about 18 months ago because it was on offer, I can finally afford a machine to run Gigastudio on. I\'m pretty sure about most of it - processor, hard-drives etc. I\'m just not sure about sound cards.

In my old machine I had a Creamware PulsarI, which offered great latency when it came out, but I don\'t know any more. And I believe performance with GSF drivers can be different from other measures anyway, and have heard rumours that the Pulsar is terrible with Gigastudio. I also have a Yamaha SW1000XG, but I don\'t know if there are any GSF drivers for it under Windows XP.

Can anyone help? Will my Pulsar be ok for playing parts in from a keyboard, or is it too long in the tooth? What\'s the very lowest latency I can get?

Re: Sound Card Latency

Originally posted by Pingu:
    Yippee!!!!!
    Can anyone help? Will my Pulsar be ok for playing parts in from a keyboard, or is it too long in the tooth? What\'s the very lowest latency I can get?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">i have a pulsar 1 which with ASIO can give 13mS which is OK, but with the giga driver it seems to give between 25mS to 35mS!!! . I have spoken to Creamware about this and they can\'t help. They only ever tested a Pulsar II which seems to be OK
    I\'d try it anyway you may be lucky but I can\'t use it for Giga. It\'s still a great card to use in a DAW.
    Brian

BTW this is with Win2K SP4, it may be different with win98?

Re: Sound Card Latency

Also, make sure that under performance settings, advanced, that you set processor scheduling to background services. ASIO drivers run as a background service and this helps lower the latency.

Scott.

Go Back to forum