• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can't even get Gigastudio 160 to launch!

Share/Bookmark

Can\'t even get Gigastudio 160 to launch!

I hope someone can help me... Lord knows I can\'t get any help from tech support. I was a Gigasampler user. I installed the program with no problems and it worked great. I upgraded to 160. That\'s when all the trouble began. Upon installing, when I tried to launch, it gave me a \"system not enabled\" error. I tried to uninstall it. The previous version of Gigasampler wouldn\'t work. I tried to contact tech support via e-mail. No response. I called via telephone,\"Dave\" said he would e-mail me instructions to do a \"clean sweep\" of my system, and to re-install. I have been waiting 2 weeks! I tried to uninstall both Gigastudio and Gigasampler. When I tried to re-install Gigasampler I get a \"Out of sync with low level technology, please rebuild\" error. Obviously there are people that have installed and are using Gigastudio successfully; however, right now I am left with spending a sizeable sum of money on software (and gigs), and totally unable to use any of it. Nemesys tech support is probably the WORST I have ever encountered! Could the problem lie in my configuration? Do I possibly have a corrupted CD? Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know how to do a this so called \"clean sweep\" that Dave talked about? I am obviously appealing to my FELLOW MUSICIANS, as Nemesys has been of little help. With all of the problems mentioned on this forum, it seems to me this program is a \"beta version\" at best. It\'s obvious with the late release, and lack of support that Nemesys is overwhelmed, but that is the price they pay. They are in business to support their product. They are flirting with a class action situation if they don\'t start getting their problems corrected. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

R Scott.

Re: Can\'t even get Gigastudio 160 to launch!

Trythis: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/software/free/utilities/system/sw128.html
    RegClean is a free utility from Microsoft that\'s designed to remove errors from the Windows 95/NT Registry. These errors usually consist of corrupted, unused, or unnecessary information. The program scans your Registry for problems and provides you with the option of canceling or automatically fixing the errors.
    I\'m not sure that is the one Dave mentioned, But it should be helpful, don\'t hurt!
    Good lucks
    LHong

I am experiencing the exact same problem, with all of the same errors you are encountering. My problems began when I \'lost\' Sample Wrench due to the installation procedures of GigaStudio 160. Nemesys support advised me to uninstall 160, and reinstall Gigasampler to get SampleWrench back and, voila, here I am in the same place you are. Although I don\'t have the solution, yet, I thought you might want to know that the problem is with Nemesys procedures and code, not with something you did. And though I think the \'REGEDIT\' solution is the right track, I\'m a little leery to try it until I know what the actual problem is. It\'s odd that when I re-install GigaStudio, it doesn\'t ask me for my registration key, which seems to tell me that the uninstall left vital information behind that is causing the re-install problems.
    If I find the answer, or if Nemesys support comes through for me, I\'ll let you know. Please let me know if you have any luck. Bj

I am experiencing the exact same problem, with all of the same errors you are encountering. My problems began when I \'lost\' Sample Wrench due to the installation procedures of GigaStudio 160. Nemesys support advised me to uninstall 160, and reinstall Gigasampler to get SampleWrench back and, voila, here I am in the same place you are. Although I don\'t have the solution, yet, I thought you might want to know that the problem is with Nemesys procedures and code, not with something you did.

One thing to check if you\'re have trouble getting Gstudio to run is 1) the diagnostic program and its report 2) the virtual midi driver
    For #2 look under Settings->Control Panel->Multimedia->Midi.
    You should see:

NemeSys MidiOut Port:1
    NemeSys MidiOut Port:2
    NemeSys MidiOut Port:3
    NemeSys MidiOut Port:4

If you don\'t then chances are you\'re still using the old Gigasampler driver which doesn\'t get along at all with Gigastudio. If this is the case then Regedit won\'t do you any good. You have to check under \'system.ini\' and look for [drivers]
    You should see a bunch of Midi?= entries and one of them should point to the midi.drv located under the directory you installed Gigastudio to.

Example (from my system):

[drivers]
    MSVIDEO*=3DLCAP.DRV
    wavemapper=*.drv
    MSACM.IMAADPCM=*.ACM
    MSACM.MSADPCM=*.ACM
    WAVE=MMSYSTEM.DLL
    MIDI=MMSYSTEM.DLL
    MIDI1=E:\\G160\\MIDI.DRV
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the above doesn\'t apply then look over the diagnostic report from gigastudio line-by-line. It\'s a good tool and it\'s very useful.

Regards,
    Gulliver.

I haven\'t been in the same situation as yours, but I did successfully uninstall GS once.
    I ran regedit.exe (in the windows directory) and search for \"nemesys\" and then delete anything I found. Then when I installed GS the system asked for the registration key agin, and I knew I did the right thing.
    Since we don\'t have the same problem (mine with GS, yours GSt) I don\'t know if you should do that. Just let you know that I\'ve uninstall GS completely once.

Gulliver - Thank you,,Thank you. (RSCOTT - Check this out!) Your suggestions lead me down the right path. When I checked the Midi config listed within the multimedia section of the control panel - the only entries where for my sound card (Layla). That seemed suspicious so I tabbed over to \'devices\' and clicked on \'Midi devices and Instruments\' and ,sure enough, there was the old Gigasampler driver! I removed the driver, re-ran the Giga Studio Diagnostics and got a completely different error message (a good thing a this point) suggesting a did not have the right Midi driver. I then re-installed Giga Studio - and to my surprise - successfully!! I\'m up and running! During one of my previous attempts at installing Gigasampler, I had copied Samplewrench to a different directory, so I am now also able to attach it to Giga Studio (which is what got me into this mess originally).
    Your help was invaluable and saved me hours/days of frustrating troubleshooting - thanks again. (My family thanks you as well cause now I can shut down and take them to dinner). If your ever in New Jersey, drop me a note - I owe you dinner too!! ( or at least a drink!)

Regards,
    BJ

To BillJ and Rscott:

Glad it worked out for both of you. Your problems were familiar because I had trouble starting Gigastudio the first time i installed it. It took me a few minutes to figure out what went wrong because of the diagnostic thing built into gst. The new system is great but by no means perfect. Still a number of bugs to resolve with gigastudio, hopefully a patch will come out soon.
    Thanks for the offers!

Regards,
    Gulliver.

Gulliver: Thank You, Thank you Thank you!!!
    Removing the old driver worked!!! I got through the install process up to the point where it asked me for my registration code. It told me I have an invalid code. I registered online and should be able to work that out. At least the mother installed! Likewise, if you are ever in Kansas City, I\'ll buy you dinner as well! You ought to freelance for Nemesys in their tech support department. It\'s been 2 weeks of hell for me trying to get things up and running. You took care of me in ONE message posting! Many thank again.
    R SCOTT

Go Back to forum