• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Assigning tempo to a midi controller?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Assigning tempo to a midi controller?

Is there a way to make Sonar or Logic convert 0-127 midi controller-data to control the tempo of a project? It would be great to be able to specify a range in BPM, say 100-140, and the sequencer would make the correct calculation and tempo based on the controller data.

Is this possible?

Please tell me if I didn\'t make myself clear.

Thomas

Re: OT: Assigning tempo to a midi controller?

I\'m a Sonar user, and as far as I can see there isn\'t any way of doing this. Logic is more powerfull, so there might be a way there.

Anthony Lombardi

Tempos are the one thing that drive me nuts with sequencers...part of me wants to record everything free flowing, but the other part needs everything to be relatively quantized so editing in the piano roll window isn\'t a total nightmare when switching from track to track, and then I manually create a tempo map afterwards.
    I\'m not sure if this is quite what Thomas was asking, but manually futzing with tempo maps is a major pain. I\'d love to know if there\'s a way to use a fader to record tempo changes much in the same way you would use a fader to record volume changes on midi controller 7. Being able to create free flowing tempo maps with a fader after everything is quantized would really make life easier.
    And Thomas, your stuff is great...very emotional, and a big part of that is how you pace the music\'s tempo. How do you go about doing a piece right now? I mean, do you record to a metronome, edit everything and then play with the tempo maps? Do you record free form (no metronome/quantizing), and just line things up manually as you go? Or is there some way I\'m totally missing? I\'d love to hear how you guys go about it so efficiently.
    -Hudson

Thanks Hudson, yeah that\'s what I\'m asking for, really. To be able to control the tempo with a midi controller.
    I do tempochanges the old fashioned way. Either draw (when I\'m locked in a beat) or free-time without metronome (when I\'m not).

Thomas

Well, I have never seen something like that, but the idea is brilliant...

I wonder if we could write a Maple plugin to perform this task...

Martin

I might have misunderstood you Thomas, but can\'t you just select EXTERNAL SYNC under Options/Project and then assign tempo changes to a fader on your keyboard? I can on my KX88.
    Craig

I don\'t have Logic open, but the Tempo Slider is a standard Environment object. Like any other object, it can be assigned a controller very easily.

That\'s pretty darn cool...but seeing as how those bastages at Emagic no longer support PC, does anyone know how to do the equivalent in Cubase SX?
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    I don\'t have Logic open, but the Tempo Slider is a standard Environment object. Like any other object, it can be assigned a controller very easily.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Craig,

Thanks for suggesting the external sync method...it works like a charm. But, it appears it\'s only a real time control to be used during audio rendering. Have you found a way to make SONAR record the tempo changes?

Neal

I don\'t actually use SONAR but OVERTURE 3, which is a notation program that unfortuneately doesn\'t have any facility for using external sync. I\'ll have another look at the SONAR. I\'m sure CUBASE and CASKEWALK PRO AUDIO 9 can do this. I use to use an old program from Steinberg called Pro24 which definitely could.

Anyway, I thought you would be able to playback the midi, controlling the tempo with a slider, and record to audio tracks simultaneously with SONAR, even if you can\'t record the midi tempo on a midi track - if that makes sense.

Go Back to forum