• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: I give up with the Audiophile 2496. Any comments on the Tascam PCI-822?

Share/Bookmark

I give up with the Audiophile 2496. Any comments on the Tascam PCI-822?

The audiophile does a great job with regular sound output but when you throw midi into the mix on my system in xp it can\'t handle it. I\'ve tried everything for over a year and I give up. So I\'m thinking of switching to the Tascam card with the hopes that there is no possible way that it could fail me (foolishly hopeful I know). If you have any comments on this card, especially in xp, I would appreciate them. Thanks in advance.

Re: I give up with the Audiophile 2496. Any comments on the Tascam PCI-822?

Hi there!

Unless you´re determined to use only one card for MIDI and Audio, i´d consider just adding a MIDI interface to your system.
    I´v got good experiences with the audiophile and XP, but only when it´s doing audio by itself (i also have a midiman4x4 in the same computer, which works ok for me).
    There´s also the possibility of MIDIoverLAN, that i know others have had great experiences with - do a search about this!

Can´t say anything about the tascam card though.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

DOH! TEMPS!
    I was thinking about what I was going to use to replace my non-XP Gina 20, and was leaning towards the Audiophile 2496.

Guess I\'m leaning back now.

This may not help, but I\'m using an Audiophile 2496 on a Windows 98 second release system and it works fine. If you don\'t want to move back Windows 98, but have a second computer that you can experiment on, you might try it...

However, maybe we should ask what problems you\'re having: crackles? freezes? high latency, drop-outs?

Also works fine in Win 2k.

Since most of final works are rendered digitally, all I needed for my giga machines was a decent sound card for monitoring purposes only. The audiophile 2496\'s work great on both of my giga machines and they are running XP. I am using MidiOverLan, so its interesting to know that there may be a limitation of the soundcard, if that is the problem. I haven\'t tried using their midi ports yet at all, so I couldn\'t be sure. But to clarify, something strange is going on if the 2496 is giving you problems in xp, as the card does in fact work very well with that os.

Isn\'t this a question for the soundcart/hardware part of the forum?

Any of you guys using more than one audiophile? I\'m curious what the noise level is on the analog outs. I need to combine 4-5 audiophile cards in a possible future sound card upgrade and I wonder if they are free of any static/hiss/noise of any kind?

Thomas

Thanks to everyone for their responses. A couple folks have suggested that I connect my piano to the computer via a separate USB midi interface. I\'m going to try the cheap Midiman 1X1 this weekend. Maybe if I run midi through this device and regular audio through the Audiophile my life will be good again. At any rate it is worth a try. Thanks again for your comments. I will let you know if this works.

Also as far as the specific problem I\'m having it is audio breakup...constant, perhaps once every 10 seconds or so. It destroys everything. I have done everything that the Midiman folks have suggested, everything that Tascam has suggested, and everything that Dell and Microsoft have suggested. One thing I have not been smart enough to try is this separate USB midi connection idea...so here goes.

Go Back to forum