• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Back-on-the-Block" After Sandy (Finally!) ... And Thanks to a couple of Moderators!

Share/Bookmark

"Back-on-the-Block" After Sandy (Finally!) ... And Thanks to a couple of Moderators!

Hey Gang!

After a full week without power and on-line connectivity, we're thrilled to have both utilities fully restored.

The storm (Hurricane Sandy) splintered an enormous pine at its base, causing it to fall (with a resounding THUDDDDDD!) across our entire front yard ... fortunately it just missed our house by only a foot in TWO places ... phewwwww! (Unfortunately, it took my neighbor Alan's electrical lines down, ripping his meter right off his house).

We were lucky to have gas so we were able to cook and keep the kitchen warm; the rest of the house: BURRRRRRR. The cold, dark nights were the worst, but thanks to my battery-powered CD player, I did listen to a lot of music to help keep my sanity .

All this started just as I had exported my final mix of my entry for the 2012 Garritan Community Christmas project. Unfortunately, I lost power and connectivity before I could send it to Dan. I had solicited Randy's help earlier that afternoon to take whatever mix I had posted at my Box.net account and try and get it to Dan if I ultimately lost power (which was looking like pretty much of a sure thing!)

Enter my neighbor John: His block (behind us) was the only one of a dozen or so streets in our area with power (and just for a half-block at that!) ... he graciously ran a 150' extension cord up to us so we could run our refrigerator/freezer. The next day, I 'borrowed' the borrowed power just long enough to tweak my final mix, export it and up-load it so Randy and Dan could access it. And not a moment too soon: Our internet went out that evening, not to return until yesterday!

A BIG, BIG thanks to Randy and Dan for going the extra mile for me to help get that final mix delivered. Just another great thing about this forum and it's members ... pretty cool and awesome to get my arrangement from New York to St. Louis via Oregon ... you guys are not only musicians, but friends. Thank you.

Despite the impending Nor'easter (Wed PM), long gasoline lines (took me 45 min to get 10 gals last night ... and that was a good time!), closed roads, fallen trees, we were not injured and our house was not flooded or damaged ... we are truly blessed and most fortunate. I hope all the others on the East coast still coping with the aftermath of Sandy receive the help they need. Our prayers and thoughts are with them. Thanksgiving will resonate just a little stronger this year.

Looking forward to catching-up with the site (prior to Sandy I was in hibernation creating my Christmas arrangement all of October ).

Frank

Re: "Back-on-the-Block" After Sandy (Finally!) ... And Thanks to a couple of Moderato

Great Story and testimonial...

I am glad you and your area survived with just a week of discomfort. It is also reassuring to know how members and moderators of this forum truly are there for each and everyone of the forum members.

Welcome back Frank!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: "Back-on-the-Block" After Sandy (Finally!) ... And Thanks to a couple of Moderato

God blessed you!

Wish you all the best you need!

welcome back.
    Francesco
    nothing is forever

Hi Frank!
    Happy to hear from you again!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    ...I lost power and connectivity before I could send it to Dan. I had solicited Randy's help earlier that afternoon to take whatever mix I had posted at my Box.net account and try and get it to Dan if I ultimately lost power...

A BIG, BIG thanks to Randy and Dan for going the extra mile for me to help get that final mix delivered. Just another great thing about this forum and it's members ... pretty cool and awesome to get my arrangement from New York to St. Louis via Oregon ... you guys are not only musicians, but friends. Thank you...
    Hooray! Thank you so much, Frank, for filling us in on your "adventures" - This is wonderful news that you're back to normal after a week of having no power. Dan and I were very happy we were able to help you out.

Carry on!

Randy

Congratulations and well done Frank on getting your song in under such circumstances.

Thanks also to Dan and Randy for such wonderful support.

I look forward to hearing your song.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Great Story and testimonial...

I am glad you and your area survived with just a week of discomfort. It is also reassuring to know how members and moderators of this forum truly are there for each and everyone of the forum members.

Welcome back Frank!!
    Hey Rich!

Thanks for the welcome ... I really missed the forum the past two months. Between renovating a condo for my nephew's family to occupy, finally creating my Christmas arrangement, and now, all these November weather issues, I haven't been here in earnest since August! Hopefully, I think I can get caught-up by next week (I think I still owe your brother an old return-comment before I went "underground" .)

Anyway, GREAT to be back!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    God blessed you!

Wish you all the best you need!

welcome back.
    Francesco
    Hi Francesco ... thanks for the welcome!

Yes, indeed, God really did bless us. There are many in the area STILL with no power (or heat ... it's snowing right now!)

Good to be back,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Hi Frank!
    Happy to hear from you again!
    Hey Fabio ... Always great to hear from my Italian friends!

Yes, I hope to be around on a more relaxed and frequent basis ... that is if the snow dosen't knock-out our power again . It's a really wet and heavy snow ... many trees have the branches down to the ground already! Looks beautiful, though!

Ciao,

Frank, The Italian-American

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hooray! Thank you so much, Frank, for filling us in on your "adventures" - This is wonderful news that you're back to normal after a week of having no power. Dan and I were very happy we were able to help you out.

Carry on!

Randy
    Hey Randy!

Ya can't make this stuff up! Adventures!! If you can believe it, the city came and cut-up and removed most of the fallen tree this morning, and guess what?: By 1:00pm, it started snowing ... and the little windy dusting is now predicted to be 4"-8"! OMG!! I had to give someone a half-mile ride to the bus, and I couldn't make it back up the hill ... shear ice. My car is still there for the night. It's still coming down like crazy ... this was supposed to be a Nor'easter; now it's just an 'Easter! LOL But, once again, I can't complain ... there are still thousands w/o power and heat and it is below freezing tonight. So sad.

I'm so looking forward to catching-up on music here; I've missed my musical family! Good to be back!

Frank

Go Back to forum