• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first music post here...

My first music post here...

Hi everyone,

After a year or so of mainly lurking around here, I\'ve decided to take the plunge and post a piece of music...
    RPG Action Music

It\'s for a fantasy/medieval RPG. I mainly used SAM Horns, G-town perc., and AO.

Any feedback on the sound, the composition, etc. would really be appreciated.

I\'m still sort of new to most of this, and know that I could get more out of the samples that I already have, but I really want to get some new strings. When I can afford it I want to get GOS Lite or SISS Mini. My AO and soundfont strings are ok, but for me strings are the most important section.. I\'m always using them. I guess the SAM horns have raised my expectations for samples. I want strings of that quality and usability. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Anyway, I\'m curious... any opinions on whether GOS or SISS would be best for the type of music that I just posted? Not that it would be the deciding factor... just wondering.

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: My first music post here...

well, I think it sounds very good. It\'s not my style of music, really, but it\'s very powerfull and well mixed. The percussions part is well written and they sound great (bravo tob!). Even the strings sound good and are well performed. At 2.19 to end the percussions in the center is a very good idea this sounds great. 1.26 very nice moment.
    But... some I have some critc as well;-):
    Maybe it\'s a bit too long, and too static. The choire is a bit too anecdotic for my taste, I\'d say use it longer or not at all. At 1.20 the phrasing of the trombone don\'t sound too natural to me, tho the melody is interesting.
    Anyway sounds great!

Hey Dana,
    First thing is ... I think it\'s great . Particularly for a first post. Wish I could dig up my first for a laugh comparison. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It\'s sparse at many points but you seem to have made it work for you. You made great use of AO strings in there too. Good use of many arts.
    A few thoughts. Overall I found your panning to be slightly extreme. Particularly noticeable at 1:26 when the cellos and c-bass are way too far to the right (for me) I would slide the cellos more center and away from the basses overall anyway as it doesn\'t sound as if there are any violas working in that area.
    The trumpet clusters at :50 seem a bit distant in comparison to the horns.
    Lastly, I \"think\" I may hear a violin drone trying to get through a lot of the piece but it is so far back in the mix I\'m not sure. If it is there, try bringing it up a bit. I think it would help marry a lot of the ideas that are there together.
    While on some levels I agree with Marcus that it may be long, I think you did a nice job of coming up with some interesting changes throughout. Plus it\'s for an rpg. You don\'t want the same 30 sec loop spinning for hours on end!

Dude (dudette?) It\'s great. These are just opinions. Look forward to some more.

I have the gos lite (half the cost of siss) and it\'s a workhorse library. If money is no object save up and start looking at the full libraries though. Especially based on your comment about strings being the most important thing to you.

(And, the reason I feel compelled is that I had a couple of guys show some interest in me on a classical guitar forum at one point
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    ..so...I guess our date\'s off then??

again, really nice comp.

Very cool. I like the voices. Great action stuff. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I appreciate the kind words and the criticism.

And, I agree with both of you:

Markus S - It is a bit too static in a couple of areas... I tend to overwork my music, and I often overcomplicate a simple idea. I was really trying to keep things simple and straight-forward this time. Also, I was thinking that the player would mostly be concentrating on staying alive while it\'s playing... and, although the music has a couple of spots where it sounds repetitive, it does still convey the overall feel that I wanted it to. Then again, maybe I could add a few more choir hits in those spots and kill two stones with one bird. As it is, the choir is awfully anecdotal... Imagine hiring that group of singers to all come in and sing six staccato, nonsense syllables [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

christianb - I started out with my instruments panned as usual; for a complete orchestra. But, since there are no winds this time, I moved everyone else to the center some... I think you\'re right, maybe it wasn\'t enough. I\'ll try bringing that violin drone up some too. About the horns at :50... that was totally intentional. I guess I was picturing more enemies approaching in the distance or something, and I wanted the effect of a set of distant horns in dialogue with/against the main horns.
    And, unfortunately money definitely is an issue here, so I\'ll probably have to stick with one of the lite string sets. As an amateur on a mediocre (at best) income, it\'s hard to justify anywhere near $1000 at a time for samples. Maybe someday if I get good enough I\'ll get work as a composer, then I can feel justified in blowing huge portions of my meager income on music stuff [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the replies!

P.S. it\'s dude... I\'m glad you brought it up. I feel compelled to point out my gender when I use my real name online, but it seems awkward and out of place to throw that into a discussion about music. (And, the reason I feel compelled is that I had a couple of guys show some interest in me on a classical guitar forum at one point [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Jamie Haggerty:
    Very cool. I like the voices. Great action stuff. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The voices are just prosample cd 13.

I liked it a lot. Often I don\'t make it to the end of a demo, but this time I hung on every note. Terrific use of percussion!

Go Back to forum