• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Sins of the Old Testament" for Violin, Clarinet, Bassoon, Tuba, and Percussion

Share/Bookmark

"Sins of the Old Testament" for Violin, Clarinet, Bassoon, Tuba, and Percussion

"Sins of the Old Testament" composed by Rodney Money for violin, clarinet, bassoon, tuba, cowbell, and congas.
    I. King Saul and the Witch
    II. David and Bathsheba
    III. Dance of the Golden Calf

Performed by The Cleveland Institute of Music.
    ~Rod
    https://www.box.com/s/jn1urnp0y470y270ajkl

Re: "Sins of the Old Testament" for Violin, Clarinet, Bassoon, Tuba, and Percussion

Earlier this year you were concerned about posting live recordings here on the Forum, Rodney - Well! Once again you certainly make me happy that as a group we decided to loosen up the Listening Room guidelines so that we're less restricted in what is kosher to post.

These sure are good recordings! And it sounds like The Cleveland Institute of Music did an excellent job of performing your scores. It strikes me that these recordings would be very helpful to Garritan users who would like to have an aural guide for producing tracks involving a small ensemble as we hear in this. The panning, the natural reverb as heard in this real venue, the balance - all of those elements work well in the recording, and would be good models on which to base virtual band emulations.

I appreciate the impressionism of the first two movements, especially the appropriately eerie atmosphere for the witch of Endor. It was a fun musical surprise to hear the anachronistically jazzy elements in the Golden Calf dance. That thing was almost rockin'--!

Thank you so much for posting these, Rodney - Hope the Forumites discover this, they have a treat in store.

EDIT: I downloaded these, Rod, and noticed that the ID tags for these list the album as being "Kevin's Senior Recital"--is that correct?

Randy

Re: "Sins of the Old Testament" for Violin, Clarinet, Bassoon, Tuba, and Percussion

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Earlier this year you were concerned about posting live recordings here on the Forum, Rodney - Well! Once again you certainly make me happy that as a group we decided to loosen up the Listening Room guidelines so that we're less restricted in what is kosher to post.

These sure are good recordings! And it sounds like The Cleveland Institute of Music did an excellent job of performing your scores. It strikes me that these recordings would be very helpful to Garritan users who would like to have an aural guide for producing tracks involving a small ensemble as we hear in this. The panning, the natural reverb as heard in this real venue, the balance - all of those elements work well in the recording, and would be good models on which to base virtual band emulations.

I appreciate the impressionism of the first two movements, especially the appropriately eerie atmosphere for the witch of Endor. It was a fun musical surprise to hear the anachronistically jazzy elements in the Golden Calf dance. That thing was almost rockin'--!

Thank you so much for posting these, Rodney - Hope the Forumites discover this, they have a treat in store.

EDIT: I downloaded these, Rod, and noticed that the ID tags for these list the album as being "Kevin's Senior Recital"--is that correct?

Randy
    I am happy that the forum decided to loosen up also, because the work was originally recorded with samples to demonstrate to the performers and their professors how the work should basically be interpreted concerning tempos, style, and timbre.

The students and possibly even professors, not quite sure who all performed on the concert, done an exceptional job performing and recording SOTOT. I was very happy when I received the MP3’s of the concert and listened to the fine recording and interpretation. That is the main reason why I wanted to share the work on the forum so others could listen to the entire production. Plus, it’s just so much fun to share music with others.

I really enjoyed composing the music based off the story of the Witch of Endor (violin) and King Saul (bassoon.) I went word by word, verse by verse of the chapter as it gave me my form and transitions. I even added the Dies Irae as a nod to Berlioz. I wanted something totally different and unexpected for a concert crowd so I added a groove and other subtleties in The Dance of the Golden Calf. I purposely waited until this last movement to add percussion so the audience would catch themselves tapping their foot and thus sinning as they danced to the golden calf.

Thank you for listening Randy and your comments. I hope that others will also. This work because of the instrumentation may not ever be suited for publication, but it is beginning to become popular in music schools across the country for something different in their concerts. Kevin and his group performed SOTOT during his bassoon senior recital and is the voice you hear at the beginning. His group had a more aggressive approach than other interpretations that I’ve heard, but I always enjoy them all. Kevin also told me that while they were performing he had a power point that went along with their playing.
    ~Rodney

Very nice piece. Great job to achieve balance with such an unusual instrumentation.

Thanks

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by brsmith View Post
    Very nice piece. Great job to achieve balance with such an unusual instrumentation.

Thanks

brsmith
    Thank you, my friend. They did a great job with the balance.

It is a random instrumentation, isn't it?
    ~Rod

Go Back to forum