• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thought i should pull my finger out....

Share/Bookmark

Thought i should pull my finger out....

...and post a piece of music. A piano piece, which makes a change from what you may have heard from me before....

http://www.northernsounds.net/useruploads/img3f61d68cbf0e7.mp3

Re: Thought i should pull my finger out....

Hey James,
    Where are you storing that thing?
    .4 - .9 kbps
    I\'ll get back to you next week when I have it all! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

christianb

Originally posted by christianb:
    Hey James,
    Where are you storing that thing?
    .4 - .9 kbps
    I\'ll get back to you next week when I have it all! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

christianb
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Seems fine now

any takers? good or bad comments?

**tumbleweed bounces by**

piano is the malmsjo. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

***skulks away***

I love your playing. Check out some of the better piano libraries, in particular, the Bardstown Bosendorfer which would work quite well with that piece.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by sporter:
    I love your playing. Check out some of the better piano libraries, in particular, the Bardstown Bosendorfer which would work quite well with that piece.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No slight to the Bardstown, which I love and use regularly...

But the Art Vista Malmsjo is one of the best piano libraries ever made! The top end almost sings, and is my numero uno choice for anything that wants a very sustained and high-motion tone.

Fun piece. I\'d lighten up the reverb and go for the maximum clarity. I think it\'s robbing you of some color that\'s present but a little overwhelmed by the amount of resonance there, especially in the mid-bass.

Sporter...it occurs to me that you might be reacting to the tone of the piano in James\'s piece, and the Malmsjo isn\'t that muffled. I think what you\'re hearing is the reverb phenomenon above, which is making the tone a little boxy.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

Sporter...it occurs to me that you might be reacting to the tone of the piano in James\'s piece, and the Malmsjo isn\'t that muffled.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Could be...I thought the piano lacked clarity, unlike the Bards and some of the other better piano samples. I\'d like to hear it dry...

hmm. interesting that you guys don\'t like the reverb, I only have the gigastudio reverb at present...and this is the default settings.
    I\'ll try the piece without the reverb when I get home tonight.

It\'s really just a quick piano sketch, will hopefully be getting VSL soon.. and i thought i\'d try doing some piano pieces to orchestrate with VSL at a later date (looking forward to that!). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by sporter:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

Sporter...it occurs to me that you might be reacting to the tone of the piano in James\'s piece, and the Malmsjo isn\'t that muffled.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Could be...I thought the piano lacked clarity, unlike the Bards and some of the other better piano samples. I\'d like to hear it dry... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s not as dynamically wide, because the source piano is a historic instrument. However, it\'s got good clarity and great sustain.

James...

You might experiment with putting the piano and the orchestra in different spaces, or even put the piano front and center with little reverb at all, since it\'s functioning as a lead with orchestral backup. The Giga reverb works well for some things, but it can get boxy.

Go Back to forum