• Register
  • Help

Topic: A different style than what I usually write.

Share/Bookmark

A different style than what I usually write.

Thought I'd try a bit of Garritan JABB instruments for this one.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...0er%20rip!.mp3

I know I shouldn't post this soon after the last one I posted but I got carried away on this one. Still a few holes to fill in here and there and smooth out some rough spots but as always it's another WIP for me.

Mitch
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: A different style than what I usually write.

Hi Mitch,

What a "cool" catchy piece. I love the boogie piano bass pattern that drives it and the way you've handed the phrases around to the other instruments in the band. A real foot tapper. I liked this a lot!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    ...I know I shouldn't post this soon after the last one I posted but I got carried away on this one. Still a few holes to fill in here and there and smooth out some rough spots but as always it's another WIP for me. - Mitch
    Who says it's too early to post more music? Noooo, that's part of the whole "Listening Room Festival" concept (and we should now ignore "Summer" and think of the Festival as all year round, non-stop!) - It's great to keep the music humming here in the LR, so no worries on that account, Mitch.

JABB is sounding really good in this! I'm with Yjoh, that it was especially fun to hear the boogie piano rhythm underlining the proceedings. Brass sounds great - I understand this is a "WIP," but it's already impressive, Mitch, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Technical suggestion - I feel this would be more effective if you'd dial that reverb way back. The effect right now is that I'm stuck way at the back of a good sized jazz club, and I'm hearing far too much room. I'd prefer to have a better seat in the house, no more than 1/2 way back.

Thanks!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    W

I'd prefer to have a better seat in the house, no more than 1/2 way back.

Thanks!

Randy
    Dang! You're just one up close and personal type of guy aren't you Randy. Hehe. I'll take a look and see what I can do. ;-)
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    ... I'll take a look and see what I can do...
    I can't keep it straight who uses DAW software and who uses Notation software. If you're the former, that's an easy thing to experiment with - just change the level of your reverb bus. Notation, ok, so you'll need to fiddle with each instrument's Send knob I guess? I'd start with approximately 80% dry, 20% wet, and adjust until the reverb level is sounding more natural and reasonable.

You know from experience, Mitch, that my earliest test mixes have an arbitrarily set and overly wet level, then I adjust later when the complete mix is getting more attention and I run some mixes by a test audience.

Randy

Go Back to forum