• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: sneak preview

Share/Bookmark

sneak preview

Another sneak preview: of my next GRANDIOSO grand piano release.

Feedback is appreciated .

This preview is made in the lowest resolution (44.1 kHz/16 bits) and I think I want to adjust filtering in the range of the \"metalic\" ring of the voicing but I\'m not shure...
    The final resolution will be 96 kHz/24 bits and that high definition format handles the brightness much better.

. listen to the sneak preview here 320Kbps MP3

Michiel Post

Re: sneak preview

Can you promise that there are no hidden spyware in this mp3? just kidding.. sounds really nice

/Tobias

the right hand (or higher trebles parts )sound strange... They sound unnaturally detached...missing the tip of the sound.

But it\'s still beautiful and bright. Are you playing this in real time?

Thanks for posting a demo of what\'s to come. Your stuff is great. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

the right hand (or higher trebles parts )sound strange... They sound unnaturally detached...missing the tip of the sound.

But it\'s still beautiful and bright. Are you playing this in real time?

Thanks for posting a demo of what\'s to come. Your stuff is great. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Michiel

Firstly, thank you for providing the opportunity to provide feedback so early on!

The more I listen to this demo, the more it seems to make sense to me. At first, I thought the eq/filtering was a little too obvious (it\'s a Yamaha, so lets pump up the top end), but the brightness is OK. As usual, the piano you\'ve chosen sounds like a wonderful instrument. My only criticism is that it\'s not \'full range\' enough - I\'d like to hear more richness/resonances. I would imagine this one working very well in a mix. It seems to take eq and reverb very well.

I\'m finding it difficult to provide any serious feeback as the genere you\'ve chosen is a little alien to me. I\'d love to hear a pop/jazz example if possible (perhaps more relevant to this piano\'s likely usage?).

Thanks again.

Nice Sustain. The Tone or Recording lacks body. Nice playing. I\'ve heard better Yamahas. Sorry.

Aren\'t there some \"strange noises\" in the background??? Like cars and busses??? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the feedback.
    The demo is a midi file performed by Jan Vayne, a Dutch piano virtuoso. The midi velocity range is not quite perfect for this prototype... I have some work to be done in that area. It\'s very hard to match the exact \"translation\" of the dynamic response of the real piano based on the fixed timbre recordings, combining them in fluent velocity ranges. Something that needs time and attention.

The samples as you hear them are the clean recorded sounds. There is no eq filtering or other processing used yet. That was exactly my point here; they are so bright/meltallic.
    I picked an instrument that served many many sessions of rock music. That will also be the most logical usage for this sampled piano. Most Yamaha pianos are used for pop, rock, modern music. The Yamaha lacks body and nuance for the classic repertoire to my ears. But it has plenty of overtones and treble. So much I was a bit afraid it would be too much. But based on your feedback it should be just right for pop and rock.

I think the Yamaha is the most popular piano for pop, jazz and rock recordings. It is not really expressive enough for successful traditional and classical recording. The 7-foot, 4-inch model is my favorite pop piano, with a bright tone, strong overtones and a moderately strong bass: a well-maintained Yamaha C7 almost always produces satisfying results. For recording and performance.

I don\'t want to imply that the more traditional brands like Baldwin and Steinway don’t make pianos capable of pop and rock styles; mostly they just don\'t sound right for this genre. Very often adjustments to the hardness of the hammers and other modifications are necessary to achieve the desired timbre.
    I found the Yamaha very easy to play. Some Steinways have a rather short depth of key throw, something I found not so comfortable.

forgot to mention I stil have to add the telephone ring [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Michiel Post

and here is the Purgatory demo on the prototype of the new Yamaha. This is the close version.

Michiel Post

The Purgatory files pretty much tell the tale. You\'re going to sell a lot of these, it feels like what the Gigapiano intended to be, a pop production mainstay.

Dasher

Go Back to forum