• Register
  • Help

Topic: Feedback again, please! :-)

Feedback again, please! :-)

(sorry if this isnt the appropriate forum)

I have managed to find a couple of hopeful directors in a media degree, they say they really like my other music so they asked me to do the music for this film they are working on. I am getting contacts!! yey! .... I was in the process of building up a selection of music to make a demo reel to (attempt) to apply for a scholarship for Music For the Media , and I decided to make a demo for them, but mostly for myself really. The idea was so I could see what sort of sound they liked. They told me it was going to be a dark, film noir, set entirely at night and there was going to be some subtle comedy elements. (I didn\'t touch upon the comedy element in this piece though)

Anyway, this piece was done relatively quickly, started about 3pm and went on until about 3am (with breaks of course) but most of that was trying to figure out why Giga or Cubase wouldn\'t bloody do what I wanted it to do... I must have spent an hour just trying to mix down without errors...

Anyway, I know it can be improved, but what do you think as it is now? Suggestions for next time?

Personally I was quite pleased with it, as its only my second real attempt at doing something orchestral. So I know that the next time I will do better as Ive learned from this. - (And for once I didn\'t use any Distorted Reality!... which seems to make it into everything else Ive done. )

(make sure the file extension is set to to .wma or it probably wont play)

Ps: I know it would nice with Trombones, but I cant afford SAMs just yet, and AO\'s suck *** I think you\'ll agree.
    PPS: Hans I love your piano. :-)
    PPPS: I havent done any mastering to this track, its \'as is\' straight out of the sequencer.

Re: Feedback again, please! :-)

Nice piece! You\'ve achieved a nice, warm and polished sound here.

First of all, I like the low, slightly unfocussed intro. The flute sounds a bit Gladiatoresque, not that\'s a bad thing... For me the piece comes to life when the lovely ambient piano and voice come in. It sounds like the soundtrack to one of those posh BBC dramas [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The brass and cymbal patches sound a bit cloudy compared to the crystal clear rest of the track. There\'s nothing wrong with the arrangement though.

I think you\'ve achieved your brief and realised a piece with a haunting quality. Well done.

Good emotion. Some unfamiliar type sounds, but tastefully done.

I likes it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Ed,
    Very nice. Don\'t necessarily miss the bones but you might want to think about throwing ao tuba as a little horn companion near the end. I know what you mean about the ao bone tho!
    I agree with the gladiator comment off the top. It kind of changes lanes a bit after that but you pull it off. The choir seems a bit staccato right at it\'s introduction. All in all quite nice, I wish I wrote it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

interesting site you gave a link for.

Thank you guys! This must mean I must be getting better at all this. Im glad to know Im not pottering around with all this and not improving so thank you for the encouragement. -- I\'ll post a link here to the finished film when they have the finished film done. They haven\'t even finished writing it yet. Expect it in about 6 months, lol.

Rudi wrote: \"The brass and cymbal patches sound a bit cloudy compared to the crystal clear rest of the track. \"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Rudi: Yes I know what you mean! I have a habit of using a lot of reverb. And I was using AO cymbals (aren\'t the greatest). Im getting Tobs soon. (thanks tob!) I also should have made the strings more prominent, oh well And thank you for the compliment about the BBC btw!

Christian: I know what you mean about the Horn. Sam Horns FAR samples with way to much extra verb doth not a good combination maketh. I\'ll try better next time [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

btw, does anyone know what happened to \'My Strings?\' I really want to buy them now and they went and disappeard. Typical.

Hi Christian,

I can\'t get file to play. Received error message:

\"No combination of filters could be found to render the stream\".

Any idea how to fix?

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    I can\'t get file to play. Received error message:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Joanne, this is probably because you are playing it in Winamp or something.

You see .wma files are smaller when I convert them so I tried uploading them to the northernsounds upload section. It uploads but they convert the file extension to .mp3 because you arent actually supposed to post anything but mp3\'s... *cough*

So take the downloaded file and change the file extension to .wma and play it in Windows Media Player.

Do that and Im sure it will work. Thanks! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum