• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Question for TOB

Share/Bookmark

Question for TOB

Dear Tobias,

I have listened to your personal demos. They are just to die for. They are by far the best compositions I have heard in a long time and you are really haunting my winamp.

I have a few questions.

What soundcard do you use? What soundfx do you use the most? How do you create all these awesome beats with freaking sounding fx in them?

Help me here!

I am especially interested in knowing about your: \"Radar defense\" and your \"Rainmaker\" compositions... What FX/plugins are used on those... Jezzzz...

I keep on getting an impression that you have your roots in funk, fusion jazz, electro rock? If so... Whats ur funk references? Trouble Funk? Stone Funkers? D-Funk? Ritnour? Hancock?

For others - go here and listen to the master in action:

http://62.13.11.115/tobbe/

Love - Ch... Ch.... Chris

Re: Question for TOB

Hey.. wow.. thank you very much.. almost blushing here... [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I\'m using RME9652 hammerfall which is totally overkill for me since I only use one computer and only VSTi. All I need is low latency and phones out, hehe.

Lots of the beats are from Spectrasonics products clean or with some editing and processing. Some of the beats are custom made.
    When I create beats I usually start with anything and process it in soundforge. Then I recycle it and import the REX file into Halion.. tweaks a little and play. Then probably some more effects after that.. and so on. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don\'t use much plugins when composing (better save the cpu for voices) so most of the processing is destructive and allready done before I use the sounds.

Don\'t fake the funk! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Grew up with Weather Report and Return to Forever.. when I was old enough to buy my own records I got interested in Synth music.. everything from synth pop to experimental synth. Later on I cathed up with all the funk made in the 70s. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Now I don\'t know.. guess I like everything out there.

/Tobias

oh, btw, we still wants to do that metal guitar library but we haven\'t started yet :/

Dear Tob,

Ok. Thats even more impressive. I thought you had 3-4 computers to do all these magnificent compositions. I have a few follow up questions, which I hope you can answer for me.

In your song called: \"Radar Defence\" - you have a beautyful blend between dry and wet samples. Some of them almost seems like subwoofing fx, while others are crisp and clear. Could you elaborate on how you made these things? The beat is simply awesome...

In your song called: \"Rainmaker/avfall\" - it seems like the beat is filtered while its playing and there are all sorta weird fx surrounding the beat. How was that made? Again you have an amazing blend of subwoofing fx, wet samples and dry stuff. It sounds deadly! I cant believe you dont have 100 plugins activated at one time. So many different reverbs, dry\'s, delays all over. Help me here...

In your song called: \"Saab\" - again - an amazing and very studiowise blend of dry and wet samples. \"Behind\" is all there are some awesome sounding and very broad synthpatches. How did you make those? And how do you make such clearsounding subwoofing fx?

Thx in advance -

Love - Chris

Tobias,

I have to agree with Lewis... Many of your demos are truly amazing! The sounds in the more ambient tracks are killer with the sweeps, filters and swooshes but I\'m a hopeless funk lover (warning: Swedish content ahead - I grew up listening, recording and playing along with every Soul Corner show on P3) and needless to say I have other favorites among those demos. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

/Mattias

Very cool stuff tob....

Great production, top-notch arangments, and I just love your funk and disco mocking around..

Thumbs up!

Alex

I love Tob\'s writting, when i grow up i wanna be just like him [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Since this is the time to put you under the microscope, what monitors do you use and what mastering program?

By the way, there are a lot more killer funk, rock, ambient demos by Tob at the Trilogy/Spectrasonics web site.

PS: can you get me a good deal on a Saab?

I have to admidt, Tob is da man! And not just because of G-Town, his music is very freakin\' cool! imo. I wanna be that cool too [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think Gary should do an interview. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

Yeah, he\'s one of my favorite listening pleasures since a long time now, especially the way he cranks out things off some simple samples. Hope he will post some new stuff as well... Hehe. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hansi

Originally posted by Lewis:

Dear Tob,

Ok. Thats even more impressive. I thought you had 3-4 computers to do all these magnificent compositions. I

have a few follow up questions, which I hope you can answer for me.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, my projects doesn\'t run smooth but I\'m getting used to pops and crackles...
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

In your song called: \"Radar Defence\" - you have a beautyful blend between dry and wet samples. Some of them

almost seems like subwoofing fx, while others are crisp and clear. Could you elaborate on how you made these

things? The beat is simply awesome...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lots of spectrasonic loops here.. For these kind of tracks I always have some audio tracks with just big

rumbling booms that I can put anywhere. Got some distorted breakbeats which is REXed and imported into halion

and some single hits. Lots of everything is the key I guess. No secrets really.. bassbooms for bottom,

distorted midloops for the mid and hihats, fingercymbals and stuff like that for the top.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

In your song called: \"Rainmaker/avfall\" - it seems like the beat is filtered while its playing and there are

all sorta weird fx surrounding the beat. How was that made? Again you have an amazing blend of subwoofing fx,

wet samples and dry stuff. It sounds deadly! I cant believe you dont have 100 plugins activated at one time.

So many different reverbs, dry\'s, delays all over. Help me here...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m not sure about what i did so I have to guess a little (have changed so much in my setup since that

project). I think the main groove is from a break sample cd but with some processing like distortion, filters

and some other toys. Then sliced in Recycle and saved to a .rex file.. loaded into halion on 2 channels, one

with a bandpass filter with resonance and a fast decay controled via velocity, the other one with just a

lowpassfilter on... sounds like theres some auto pan filter plugins inserted too. Then there is some

programmed percussion which is mainly processed single hits. All the big hits is a mix of lots of stuff,

processed in soundforge and then imported into an audio track in cubase. REX files is doing alot of the

work... and ready processed hits.

In your song called: \"Saab\" - again - an amazing and very studiowise blend of dry and wet samples. \"Behind\" is

all there are some awesome sounding and very broad synthpatches. How did you make those? And how do you make

such clearsounding subwoofing fx?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Think I did this one in the middle of the night after a 16 hours work of audio editing.. so I don\'t remember

much of this either, hehehe. 1 or 2 ambiences are from sample cds, the pad is from NIs FM7. The voicesample

was brutaly forced to C-minor in autotune.. Subwoofing fx isnt hard.. get some big drums, pitch them down, put

some reverb on them, give them fat bottom with maxbass, compress it, voila

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    /Tobias

Tob is the man!

I\'ve said this multiple times before tho [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum