• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pitch Bend/Mod Wheel Question

Share/Bookmark

Pitch Bend/Mod Wheel Question

Howdy folks; been a while since I've been on, but I've been happily composing/getting to know the great fun of GPO.

Which leads me to my latest question. The keyboard that I'm using as my controller (a 2005 Yamaha) has a pitch bend wheel, which is much less useful to me most of the time than a mod wheel would be. SO... is there some lovely MIDI trick to reprogram the wheel, or something to that effect? I'd love to have that added level of realism in addition to the already gorgeous sounds that Garritan has given me.

All the best to all of you!

Re: Pitch Bend/Mod Wheel Question

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreyPilgrim View Post
    Howdy folks; been a while since I've been on, but I've been happily composing/getting to know the great fun of GPO.

Which leads me to my latest question. The keyboard that I'm using as my controller (a 2005 Yamaha) has a pitch bend wheel, which is much less useful to me most of the time than a mod wheel would be. SO... is there some lovely MIDI trick to reprogram the wheel, or something to that effect? I'd love to have that added level of realism in addition to the already gorgeous sounds that Garritan has given me.

All the best to all of you!
    Hi, "TheGreyPilgrim"

Here's the link to an old General Discussion thread which covers this pretty well. In response #4, Reegs explains how to use MIDI OX (a free little program easily found online) to translate Pitch Bend events into CC1 events:

Using the Pitch Wheel as a Mod Wheel

However it's important for you to take note on that thread about the objections to tricking the Pitch Wheel this way since the wheel mechanism snaps to a middle point, and also goes into a negative direction which doesn't work for CC1. The main objection is that you would need to always have your hand on the wheel, otherwise it will snap back to Zero - which in the case of CC1 would be no volume.

So, it's possible, but not ideal. The keyboard you're using is of the "home keyboard" variety which only gives limited MIDI control. At some point, it will be good to invest in a more thoroughly equipped keyboard. On that old thread I point out that at that time I'd been using a used keyboard which only cost me $49, but had all the controls I needed to thoroughly exploit GPO's possibilities.

Randy

Re: Pitch Bend/Mod Wheel Question

Thank you very much Randy. I see that it would be better to invest in a new keyboard, which I've been meaning to do for a while now anyway. Much appreciated.

Go Back to forum