• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Hi there!
    I am new to this forum and I am going to buy
    Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Gigastudio but
    I just wonder if someone here are using it?
    I am blind and using braille to access the
    screen. Can Gigastudio use
    keycommands (shortcuts)?
    Best regards,
    Christian

Re: Gigastudio and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Hello Christian and welcome to the forum,
    I\'m using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 with Gigastudio 160, and it\'s a great combination. There are some operations that can be performed with key commands, but others I\'m not sure about. You may want to send an email to Nemesys and explain your circumstances and ask their advice. I\'ve found them quite helpful. If you want full functionality from Gigastudio, they are recommending an 800Mhz CPU and at least 256 MB RAM and as fast a hard drive as you can get. I just upgraded to a Pentium III with 128 MB RAM and it works great with the Steinway B and Gigapiano, but it\'s not enough memory to load an entire orchestra. What kind of music will you be making?

Hello uwv!

For your information, I have pasted a quote at the bottom from another message in this forum ( May 26 2000, Author: KIA, link: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/000434.html ) The subject is \"Jaws\", which is an alternative interface for visually impaired people:

\"The program is called \"Jaws\" and is a windows screen reader. Originally it only worked with Cake V6 but there are scripts that allow people to use Cake P/A V9.

The project was set up in a small studio in London. Jackie Clifton (the organiser) asked me to do some clinics for her clients. It was an overview of Cake using Jaws and also using the Yamaha SW1K soundcard with a \"Phat Boy\". The \"Phat Boy\" is a stand alone box that controls some preset sysex controller info such as cutoff and resonance, reverb and ADSR that control most GM/GS and XG hardware (including the SW1K). Because it has preset knobs on it, that makes it a great tactile surface for editing sounds etc.

Jaws itself speaks to you as you go from menu to menu. At first its a little strange having this robot voice tell you where you are in a program but its very easy to get up to speed. Doing basic midi entry and recording of audio is quite possible using Cake. Logic and Phewbase are too graphic so the screen reader cannot interpret what is physically on screen.

There is also a program called dancing dots by a guy called Bill McCann which Brailles notation music for near sighted and blind people to play sheet music.

Jaws is distributed by Hentor Joyce in the states (I may have spelt that wrong)

Phat Boy is sold in the states by a company called Keyfax

I am not sure about Dancing Dots but if its of interest to you I will get more info for you.\"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aspenleaf:
    Hello Christian and welcome to the forum,
    I\'m using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 with Gigastudio 160, and it\'s a great combination. There are some operations that can be performed with key commands, but others I\'m not sure about. You may want to send an email to Nemesys and explain your circumstances and ask their advice. I\'ve found them quite helpful. If you want full functionality from Gigastudio, they are recommending an 800Mhz CPU and at least 256 MB RAM and as fast a hard drive as you can get. I just upgraded to a Pentium III with 128 MB RAM and it works great with the Steinway B and Gigapiano, but it\'s not enough memory to load an entire orchestra. What kind of music will you be making?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Aspenleaf!
    Thanks for your reply!
    I don\'t know yet what I will produce but
    I want to get it work first.
    Can I use Gigastudio or Gigasampler
    as an synthmodule? On MIDichannel 1
    I have a piano and on channel 10 I have
    drums etc?
    Best regards,
    Christian

Yes, you can use it that way. You can even buy a General Midi set for it. I haven\'t heard it, but I\'m sure others on the forum have. Perhaps a search would bring up some of those discussion threads. Gigastudio allows you to have up to four ports, each with 16 channels, so you can load a total of 64 different midi channels (if you have enough RAM). Gigasampler has 16 channels. Each sample you load will use some of your RAM, even though the actual sound is streaming from the hard drive. The Gigapiano, which comes with the full version of Gigasampler or Gigastudio requires at least 64 MB RAM. The EastWest Steinway B requires 128MB RAM. If you are using smaller instruments, like bass or drums, they will use less RAM and you can load more of them at the same time. Before I upgraded to a fast computer, I would compose one track at a time in Cakewalk, then use the capture to disk function in Gigasampler to make it into a wav file, then insert it into Cakewalk and move on to the next instrument. If you have enough RAM and a fast CPU, you could keep everything in midi and it makes the editing so much easier and quicker.

Hi again Aspenleaf!
    That sounds interesting.
    The steimingway piano does it sounds good?
    Do you want to talk with me on email?
    You can watch profile and find my mail-adress
    Best regards,
    Christian

The Steinway B is my favorite of the commonly available pianos for Gigastudio. I also like the Gigapiano very much. It\'s a Yamaha concert grand. There\'s a very good review of these pianos at www.prorec.com Look for the article under Bruce Richardson in the index of authors. I believe the title is simply \"Pianos, pianos, pianos\". There have also been many discussion threads about these pianos in the sample libraries forum. A search there will bring them up.
    I\'d be glad to correspond with you through email, but I checked your profile and it doesn\'t list an email address.

Hi again Aspenleaf!
    I looked at prorec.com but I didn\'t find it.
    My e-mailadress is:
    hao@algonet.se
    Do you know if it is any mp3demos of the
    Steimingway Piano?
    Best regards,
    Christian

type gigasmapler in search
    it is a febr2000 article

Aspenleaf, Thanks for some info.

I wish for you to E-mail me. My e-mail is musieklief@hotmail.com

I am using Gigasatudio and Cakewalk 9.01. I am also using Aardvark Pro 24/96.

I am new to this and have everything working, I even select my Gigastudio sounds through Cakewalk. I am new to Audio and need help or steps on how to do the following:
    1.) I have recorded Gigapiano as midi in Cakewalk cause thats what it recognises it as. I want to edit and then send my 1 Midi track to record it as Audio(Wave)through Cakewalk. What is the best way to record to audio and how is this done from Midi to Audio??

2.)I know that Gigastudio has Capture to wave. How do I route my cakewalk Midi and record that midi file to capture to wave?

3.)Finally, when you are in Cakewalk and you record Audio.example(You sing through a mike and record into Cakewalk.) Before you start recording to audio you need to set your audio levels as close to 0 decibels as possible to get the strongest signal but not higher otherwise distortion will occur. How do you do this with Gigastudio? because you are recording as Midi and not Audio. Is there a way that you can set your Audio levels (Audition)closest to 0 decibels before capture to wave?

How do you record to Audio in your set up?

Please let me know.

Thanks
    Dafrica

Go Back to forum