• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga via SAN

Share/Bookmark

Giga via SAN

Anyone out there streaming their multiple giga\'s via a SAN Server? (as in no local storage on any giga)

Re: Giga via SAN

Unfortunately, I don\'t think this would be possible. The bandwidth on SAN servers is high, but I don\'t think it\'s high enough. GS needs the hard drives to be local in order to work effectively. This is also why the program won\'t let you add network drives to your database.

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. It would be great if it worked, though, especially in a Media Ventures situation, I imagine.

Welcome to the board, by the way! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

i am sure down the road this will be possible. in the video NLE world it is becoming more commnon - but NOT cheap. i have seeen this done with fiber jumpers off a SAN for mutiple NLES to access the same uncompressed NTSC video @7 mbits per second!

mike

What about Gigabit Ethernet? It seems that the bandwidth might be sufficient.

Has anyone tried linking sequencer and sampler with it?

Izenagi: as long as GigaStudio doesn\'t allow you to add network drives, there is no way to test it.

Gig instruments stored elsewhere on the network can be loaded by double clicking in a GSt channel strip to bring up the standard File Open dialog. Streaming over a standard 100Base/T is no problem.

It really would be a better idea to have the same samples installed on each computer\'s individual harddrives, instead of having one server with the samples, and just a bunch of terminals around the building. Diskstreaming (what gigastudio, kontakt etc. does) is a VERY harddrive-intensive task, and unfortunately harddrives aren\'t as fast as your ram, yet. This is the limitation we\'re all waiting for the harddisk technology to overcome. So until faster harddrives are developed (and we\'re not talking just 20% faster or so, we\'re talking 5 times as fast) you\'re pretty much left with that limitation. Sorry.

You could of course TRY the network solution, but chances are it\'ll be unreliable. For example, if 4 people are accessing a 300mb Violins tremolo patch at the same time, with different notes and different timing, that\'s enough to make the harddrive go crazy...

Thomas

Originally posted by Bill:
    Gig instruments stored elsewhere on the network can be loaded by double clicking in a GSt channel strip to bring up the standard File Open dialog. Streaming over a standard 100Base/T is no problem.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As soon as you start to push the limits with Gig files across your network, like banging on the Post Bosendorfer with the sustain pedal down, you will run into problems with polyphony and weird sounds in the tails of the notes. I guess this network feature was never meant to be used for something other than auditioning Gigs. Otherwise, Giga would have supported network shares and/or mapped drives as part of the QuickSound interface.

FYI: just made a quick test using the VSL-harp (because of it\'s long samples) loaded as bill described and got GS to use 159 voices - no crackles appeared.
    the computers have 3com 3C996B-T 64-bit PCI-card (but only used in a 32bit-PCI-slot, so a maximum of about 50 MB/sec are possible) connected via a 3com unmanaged switch 3C16477
    the harddisk containing the samples is a single IBM 73GB-SCSI-disk on a AHA39160 LVD-controller
    christian

Go Back to forum