• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphonic Suite No. 2 for Wind Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Symphonic Suite No. 2 for Wind Ensemble

This is another rework of a song that was originally written for orchestra.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...20Ensemble.mp3

It isn't very easy converting from strings to wind.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Symphonic Suite No. 2 for Wind Ensemble

-!!--It's a special double feature presentation - two Mitch Manthe posts in one day!

"...It isn't very easy converting from strings to wind..." But certainly worth the effort, wouldn't you say, Mitch?--because this sounds wonderful with woods and brass.

There are so many warm, sentimental passages in this which are very pleasing to my ear. The way you resonate with Romanticism is so clear in this and your other new post, Mitch, and I appreciate how the love for what you're doing comes through so well.

Are there plans you have in mind for the future of this lovingly constructed suite? - I sure appreciate you sharing your work here with us, Mitch.

Randy

Future plans? No, I have no idea where to go from here or how to market my works, let alone getting it played a real wind ensemble. But that doesn't stop me from writing it.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Is that I to iv I hear in the slow section, and is this COMB2?
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Is that I to iv I hear in the slow section, and is this COMB2?
    ~Rodney
    I to iv? Man, it's been 30+ years since I've even studied that type of jargon so you'll have to be a bit more specific and talk English, please.. Yes, it is COMB2 with a couple GPO trumpet and Horn overlays added in to help accent a couple phrases. It is also Finale 2011 under Windows 7.

Hello Mitch!

It's been a while since I've taken the time to listen to something in the Listening Room, and I must say, after hearing this, it's a wonder that I didn't come back sooner!

I love the energetic start to this, and certainly enjoy the contrasting lyrical middle. This certainly brings back my concert band days, and I know exactly where you are coming from concerning orchestrating strings to wind. Though I have much more experience in band/wind orchestra, I still find it easier to arrange for string orchestra.

Thanks for posting this, it was a great listen!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

A very elaborate piece of orchestral music. The transcription to wind is certainly great. The only thing I miss a bit is the 'relief' in instrumentation. All instrument (sections) sound equal. (A trumpet is not a flute...) The overall sound seems to be an organ (mainly first two sections) in the tutti passages.

As a whole, I like it a lot!

Thanks for sharing this 'older' work.

Max

Yes, I agree there are sections that sound "organ" like and I am working on my instrumentation to correct that as best I can. As for the relief concern...sometimes Finale works well, sometimes not so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Yes, I agree there are sections that sound "organ" like and I am working on my instrumentation to correct that as best I can. As for the relief concern...sometimes Finale works well, sometimes not so well.
    Well, there is some of the common "organ effect" in this, but I didn't want to mention that in my earlier post since it's just one of those things that crops up in renderings so often.

For various reasons, using the samples from CoMB are most prone to an organ sound, but it comes up using other instruments also when the onset of notes are too precisely on the beat. It makes the samples sound off in the same way as when a keyboardist is playing chords.

You're using Finale, so I guess you just need to strengthen the effect of Humanization so the start times for notes are more messed up, the way it more naturally happens when recording in DAW software.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well, there is some of the common "organ effect" in this, but I didn't want to mention that in my earlier post since it's just one of those things that crops up in renderings so often.

For various reasons, using the samples from CoMB are most prone to an organ sound, but it comes up using other instruments also when the onset of notes are too precisely on the beat. It makes the samples sound off in the same way as when a keyboardist is playing chords.

You're using Finale, so I guess you just need to strengthen the effect of Humanization so the start times for notes are more messed up, the way it more naturally happens when recording in DAW software.

Randy
    Quite right, Randy. That is my experience too (mainly with Finale). I don't really like the human playback either, but it is a means to escape from the chord-like sound for sure. However, it doesn't change anything in the 'relief' of an ensemble, only in randomising the events. I try to avoid this precise mixing and randomising start-stop times of sounds (and spacial settings of the instruments/groups). Using the natural balance of an ensemble's instruments is preferable, but not always possible.

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast