• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mystery melody. Does this sound familiar?

Share/Bookmark

Mystery melody. Does this sound familiar?

I wrote this piece a while back but swear it's my mind playing tricks on me. Has anyone heard this melody before?

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Mystery.mp3
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Mystery melody. Does this sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    I wrote this piece a while back but swear it's my mind playing tricks on me. Has anyone heard this melody before?

Hi Mitch,

Yes, it sounds comfortably familiar, but no, I don't think I've ever heard it before!

It's really quite beautiful and sounds like it could have been composed for an opera (La Boheme comes to mind). Haunting and emotional melody.

Regardless of whomever wrote it, Mitch or Puccini, I loved it!

Frank

(It will be interesting to see if others think they've heard it before!)

Sounds like a periphrases of Verdi's "Amami Alfredo", it has the same rhytmic division.
    But it sounds very beautiful, the orchestration is quite amazing.
    If you seam it into a major composition you can hide it successfully inside it without violating any copyright law
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

It sounds quite familiar indeed. My first impression tells me it's taken from an Italian Romantic opera. Anyway, it's beautiful and that's the main reason to listen to music. I can't imagine a composer designing his music to be terrible and and a torture for the ear. (Unless he has very bad taste).

Max

I think the melody on this is great! I real nice unpretentious sound regardless of where the music came from.
    Nice post. Jay

What a great post, Mitch - I'm with the other listeners here, agreeing that there's a comfortable, vaguely familiar quality to the melody, but I don't think it's specifically a copy of anything in particular. I certainly agree that it has a 19th century operatic quality to it.

It happens all the time, music sounding like it could be from a pre-existing source. When a piece has a dedicated simplicity to it, staying in the realm of traditional harmony, with chord progressions which are comfortable and unsurprising, it's just bound to sound something like a lot of other pieces, there's no avoiding it.

Lovely music, tremulously romantic, and elegantly clean in its orchestration.

There's no mystery about the quality of what you've posted, Mitch!

Randy

Thank you everyone for you kind critiques. Very helpful and appreciated. I guess I will continue on with this work then and see if I can live up to your praise.

Mitch
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Thank you everyone for you kind critiques. Very helpful and appreciated. I guess I will continue on with this work then and see if I can live up to your praise.

Mitch

Please, Do!

Max

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player...but....

"Good Night Irene" sprang to mind ;-)

Cheers
    Tuch

This is an irksome question. It reminds me of several pieces but not anyone specifically. If anything, you've synthesized many elements together well. Very smooth enjoyable piece.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast