• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Apple/Emagic program

Share/Bookmark

New Apple/Emagic program

Just heard about this in the new Final Cut 4. It\'s got a program called Soundtrack, that lets editors make music by combining royalty free loops. While technically it\'s cool I guess, not that Acid or tons of other programs can\'t do it, I have a problem with the way they \'value\' music. Basically their pitch is, editors can \"score their project with no musical experience and without having to pay a dime\". Considering that a huge chunk of Apple\'s customer base is pro musicians, I think it\'s kind of lame that they\'re pitching a product that pretty much elimantes the need for composers or paying for music... And then link to another new Apple product - Logic 6. Why bother. Why would someone want to create music in Logic, when Apple\'s aim is to offer editors a way to patch it together for free. I know that 99% of legit projects wouldn\'t buy into this concept but it\'s still kind of alarming. Sorry, this isn\'t directly related to Giga, but I just thought this sort of mentality will affect all of us at some point

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/soundtrack.html

Re: New Apple/Emagic program

I say \"GOOD LUCK\"!

If they want to get the same quality/emotion etc. then they\'ll need to become a..... um? COMPOSER! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Who\'s gonna use this? I\'ll tell you who, some grade school kid doing home movies.....

BTW... Have you seen the new addition to pro-tools? It comes with royalty free film clips you string together (insta\' film).... giving you something to \"score\", eliminating any need for a \"real\" director (now the composer calls the shots! Yippee! We\'re gonna rule this town I tell ya\'). The hard part is getting paid, though......? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Next.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by donimon:
    Just heard about this in the new Final Cut 4. It\'s got a program called Soundtrack, that lets editors make music by combining royalty free loops. While technically it\'s cool I guess, not that Acid or tons of other programs can\'t do it, I have a problem with the way they \'value\' music. Basically their pitch is, editors can \"score their project with no musical experience and without having to pay a dime\". Considering that a huge chunk of Apple\'s customer base is pro musicians, I think it\'s kind of lame that they\'re pitching a product that pretty much elimantes the need for composers or paying for music... And then link to another new Apple product - Logic 6. Why bother. Why would someone want to create music in Logic, when Apple\'s aim is to offer editors a way to patch it together for free. I know that 99% of legit projects wouldn\'t buy into this concept but it\'s still kind of alarming. Sorry, this isn\'t directly related to Giga, but I just thought this sort of mentality will affect all of us at some point

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/soundtrack.html
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To me this sounds like a great thing. It will make a nice selection, and composers whos work sounds like the stuff from the \"music in the box\" collection, will soon be out of the game \'cause editors will be able to get similar results by them selves more easily.

Making more room for people who have \"that little something extra\" which unables them to make music that doesn\'t sound like \"music in a box\" thing... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Alex

believe there are a big bunch of programs for DJs who wanna be composers (or any wannabee composer).. one of the best is probably Acid which is awesome for matching loops in different tunings and tempos..

Btw, wasnt there a system developed in the 80s with instrument tracks recorded in matching tempos and tunings which could be combined to build your own perfect commercial jingle? the big difference from now is that it was analog tape back then i believe.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I guess it wasnt a big hit and I doubt that this new silly app from apple will be that either..

/Tobias

\"Soundtrack is an editor’s dream come true. The days of outsourcing or licensing your music are over — Soundtrack gives you the power to develop professional music yourself, allowing you to retain greater control of your entire project.\"

Luckily theres cute symbols for every instrument so the editor know which track he\'s gonna mute if the client wants to get rid of the guitar... hehe [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Tobias

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Soundtrack IS essentially ACID. Apple hired Chris Moulios (the originator of ACID) from Sonic Foundry over a year ago.

Don\'t worry, though. ACID didn\'t hurt the market and this won\'t either. You still need musical taste at the helm, or you just get crap.

A friend of mine pulls of INSANELY dope stuff with just ACID and heaps of talent. Again this is just a tool, like any sequencer. Just don\'t let the \"features list\" put you off. It\'s much more powerful than one should think. ACID can for example be used as a great multitracker.

If you heard the stuff this guy is pulling off with ACID, you\'d be amazed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Obviously it has its limitations, but for electronica beat-based music it seems like a good choice.

Thomas

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Thomas you are so right about ACID. It is a creative fun-house. The feature set is not a limitation, as you say, but a set of structures which force your mind to create in a different language. In essence, it is an automated musique concrete toolset. If it had existed in the 1950s, music might sound very different today!!

The single \"job\" that got me more work than anything I\'ve ever done was a theater score to Neil Bell\'s adaptation of Therese Racquin, composed in ACID. I hired Wynne Flickinger, who is an insanely good improvisational violinist, and she went nuts for two hours. I cut up all of her violin tracks into loops, and made an entire score from those in ACID.

ACID is a great combo with GigaStudio. You can sit down, start a capture, and play \"wild,\" keeping your mind only on interesting idiomatic phrases and themes, then cut them up into loops and manipulate them in ACID. It\'s a great way, I have found, to put your inner \"judgement\" on hold for a few moments, and to let things flow out which might not make it through your built-in filters if you were sequencing.

I think different tools are great, and so necessary for me at least. Whenever I find myself stuck, and hating everything I\'m coming up with, I stop what I am doing and approach it with a totally different tool. Often, that little bit of change or inspiration is all it takes to break the creative block. Also, ACID in particular is excellent as an adjunct tool, where you develop a skeleton of a piece, then export those tracks to place into a more standard MIDI/DAW environment.

I do think Apple\'s promo on this is just a little surprising. Whenever you start promoting a product based upon \"who needs musicians?\" sort of thoughts, the risk is alienating a chunk of the user base. No big deal for the PC, since musicians are statistically insignificant. Apple\'s tiny slice of market share has a much larger musician base. One would wonder just a bit what they\'re thinking. Maybe they think musicians don\'t read Final Cut ads, haha.

One thing for sure. With Chris Moulios on their team, they have one of the best and most creative minds that has ever come along in the music software business. He is the real thing, one of those pure visionaries that doesn\'t get hung up in the rules.

I read the announcement this morning and I thought it spelled doom for a lot of smaller guys (essentially about 90% of composers out there).
    You are all mistakenly assuming that the average video editor and producer knows the difference (or cares) between good tasteful music and generic crap....well guess what? They don\'t (for the most part) or are so concerned for the bottom line that they simply choose to go with the cheaper route. I lose gigs on a daily basis to Killer Tracks, and Apple Soundtrack will eat another big chunk of my business.

I think the only composers that this program benefits are the ones who will create add-on libraries for Soundtrack.

Bad days are ahead (of course you know if Apple is doing this, many more will follow).

Interesting comments. I wasn\'t really worried about it taking gigs - no \'real\' show or film is going to used canned Apple loops.

My problem was more with Apple itself and its \'value\' of music. Having firmly entrenched myself in the Apple/Emagic camp, it sort of annoyed me that they would market a competing product in a way that really devalues the creative value of music.

I totally agree with everyone that it\'s the talent not the tools. Even with library music, there\'s always going to be custom scoring - always. And there will always be some new program/company that will claim they can do everything with no effort for free. I\'m just pissed that it\'s Apple....I thought they were cooler than that.

Go Back to forum