• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DDSS, GOS lite, or SS mini?

Re: DDSS, GOS lite, or SS mini?

Well, firstly keep in mind that DDSS are solo strings while the GOS and SI are ensembles.....different sounds!

I really don\'t know SI but I can vouch for GOS Lite as being an excellent library with lots of articulations and a great sound for an unbeatable price.

In all fairness I have heard nothing but good things about SI\'s library...it\'s probably quite good, but I don\'t know if it\'s an extra $250 good!

Thank you Midphase. I appreciate your input.

DDSS, GOS lite, or SS mini?

Hello all,

Well I am not the proud owner of giga yet and the delay of 3.0 makes me wonder. I am still just getting into orchestration and am currently using Reason to scratch out ideas on my modest computer setup. I rewire it to Cubase and have gotten some successful results.

For those of you not familar with Reason it is an all in one sampler, synth, drum machine, sequencer deal. I find it an easy place to start. Well they recently came out with a program called RELOAD that allows you to convert AKAI samples and have them retain all ther origional integrity. So I got to thinking.

The sounds in Reason are rather poor, but now I have another option. I am looking for strings and could get the lite version of GOS for AKAI and convert. Or I could get DDSS AKAI version and convert. I know one is ensembles and the other solo. My main interest is that they be very performance oriented, load and play kind of situation. Lastly, the samplers in Reason read Soundfonts so that opens up the possibility of SS MINI and no fear that it may not convert properly. However, SS mini is on the high side of things price wise.

Any opinion?

I have found DDSS for $159.
    I have found GOS lite for $199.
    I know that SS mini is $449 and have not seen it for less anywhere.

I would rather spend more and get it right the first time.

Does anyone know of better prices, can any make a suggestion as to which way I should go. Again I am mainly interested in playability and adding some simple strings to my music and arrangements.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and advice.

All the best,

Hi John,

If you are on a limited budget and want both solo and section strings, you can make simulated string sections out of Dan Dean Solo Strings\' samples. Here is a short example of just a violin section using the Dan Dean samples:

Best Regards

Hello Nicholas,

Yes this was something that I considered and I appreciate you taking the time to share your music with me. DDSS does certainly have something going for it. And the price is right.

All the best,

I found DDSS a bit cheaper than that. If you take your time and search around (try jacksmusic.com, audio midi - and wait for sales; soundsonline often does 30-60% off libraries) you can get bit closer to $100 than that.

Also, I don\'t have GOS lite but I have the full version; if you \'feather\' (one of Dan Dean\'s terms) in Dan\'s solo strings it can add a tremendous amount to the overall sound (both libraries compliment each other). Plus you get those fantastic solo strings - still, in my opinion the best bargain to be had in this sector (along with Hans\'s Malmsjo piano).

Of course, I\'ve used the strings that are included in the full GOS and I believe the lite version is also a great bargain at that price.

If you can stretch to both libraries I\'d bet you wouldn\'t be disappointed - and you have an upgrade path to the full GOS waiting for you (with yummy new stuff spicing it up from time to time).

Can\'t comment on SI mini I\'m afraid.

Don\'t underestimate DDSS just because it\'s cheap. It\'s very \'basic\' (I suppose) compared to the specs of some newer libraries, but the core sounds are stupendous.

Your input is greatly appreciated. It sound like no matter what I do DDSS will make a nice addition to my arsenal, and for the price you cannot go wrong.

Thanks again,

Where did you find GOS lite for $199?

Orcas Island

Originally posted by dix:
    Where did you find GOS lite for $199?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">GOS Lite normally retails for $249. The $199 price is for educational, GANG members, SCL members and other organizations who buy direct.

But, since Northern Sounds is an esteemed group in its own right [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I will extend the discount to all Northern Sound members.

Gary Garritan

Great! How does one take advantage of this generous offer? Also, are you in California? -thanks

Go Back to forum