• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Windows 8 - Anybody have it? How's it going?

Share/Bookmark

Windows 8 - Anybody have it? How's it going?

If anyone here is on W8, it would be great if we could get some feedback about how it's going. Everything OK between W8 and Finale? With ARIA? With Sonar - other DAW software? How about your audio interfaces? Other non-musical programs you use doing OK?

I'm not chomping at the bit to get W8 - It always takes me a long time to switch my OS, and it's always because I'm getting a new computer and whatever the current OS is just comes with the machine. - I know that there's already been plenty of complaining about how W8 is the transition point between traditional computer needs and the needs of portable devices. But what I'm interested in hearing is how W8 is doing with the stuff we have in common here at Gary's Forum - How's music production going?

Randy

Re: Windows 8 - Anybody have it? How's it going?

I have it up and running under Oracle VM VirtualBox. Don't really like it myself. Too used to Windows 7. Not really something I would use myself but then I've been using the old Windows GUI for way longer than I'd like to mention. I won't even look at it closer until Micrsoft pulls support for Windows 7. As for Finale and Garritan products - I haven't tried that yet.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    I have it up and running under Oracle VM VirtualBox. Don't really like it myself. Too used to Windows 7. Not really something I would use myself but then I've been using the old Windows GUI for way longer than I'd like to mention. I won't even look at it closer until Micrsoft pulls support for Windows 7. As for Finale and Garritan products - I haven't tried that yet.
    --Oh my, that was an expensive experiment for you, Mitch! What don't you like about it? - When you have a chance to test it with Garritan/Finale, a report on that would be appreciated. I don't anticipate problems, but I'm sure we'd all like to hear a report.

Thanks for replying, Mitch.

Randy

Hello Randy, great question!

Though, I haven't used Windows 8 extensively myself, I work with people who use it daily, and I've had a decent chance to look at its interface and such. It is very apparent that W8 was made for the tablet/touchscreen. Though, it is possible to get the classic Windows 7 interface. The default W8 interface is a bit unwieldy for a desktop, though. The start screen is replaced with a mass of tiles like you would see on a tablet. I kind of like the flattened look the metro UI has, though (no more glass-like bubbly buttons)

As far as performance, I couldn't say much about it since, as I said, I haven't used it much and have no intention of putting it on either of my computers. If you're an Internet Explorer user, though (which I know you're not, Randy) IE10 will only run on W8. IE10 is an overall improvement to IE9 from what I've seen: more support for newer HTML5 and CSS3 technologies and such.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Nice - Thank you for that report, Michael. Interesting - tablet/touchscreen oriented as they've been saying. Hmm, don't like that it makes for a kind of cluttered start screen on a desktop. Hey - I like me glassy look, don't want to lose that.

The "upgrade" price doesn't fit my budget, so I'm not really in the market, but naturally curious how programs will fare with it. Some software is now being promoted as W8 compatible, to put worries at rest. - We'll see if all is well with Finale and Garritan.

Thanks again you guys.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --Oh my, that was an expensive experiment for you, Mitch! What don't you like about it? - When you have a chance to test it with Garritan/Finale, a report on that would be appreciated. I don't anticipate problems, but I'm sure we'd all like to hear a report.

Thanks for replying, Mitch.

Randy
    Win 8 didn't cost me a dime as I downloaded the freebie test system MS was offering before it went on sale publicly. Also, I see that MS is offering a limited time upgrade offer for Win 8 at $39.99 so I may purchase a copy just to play with.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Also, I see that MS is offering a limited time upgrade offer for Win 8 at $39.99...
    I thought that price was only good the first day Win 8 when on sale. At least that is what a salesperson at my favorite computer store told me.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I thought that price was only good the first day Win 8 when on sale. At least that is what a salesperson at my favorite computer store told me.
    It's still on the MS website when I search for Win 8 upgrades. So who knows for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    $39.99 is the download price for upgrading from an older versions of Windows to Windows 8 Pro.

The boxed version of Windows 8 Pro is $69.99.

If you already have Windows 8 and wish to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro you need to order the boxed version of Windows 8 Pro for $69.99.

That's it.

Phil

It is going great!! See:

http://youtu.be/HnuzhQ53_L8

Raymond

Go Back to forum