• Register
  • Help

Topic: That MediaVentures Sound.

Share/Bookmark

That MediaVentures Sound.

Ok, so I started writing this piece yesterday and wanted to make it sound more MediaVentures-y and then I listened to Face Off by Powell and The Rock, and Spy Game and decided I needed help ... I have my own thoughts on how I could do it, but what are yours? Tob? You are really good at this sound, any tips? - What could I add to this piece? Change? Percussion also seems to be a key element.... Im quite probably going to have to compose with this style in few months so any information to help me is appreciated.

Ed

PS: The piece is rough and very unfinished.

Re: That MediaVentures Sound.

Somebody wake up Tob! He is the MV expert. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Offhand, I would say, where is the percussion? (Where is your use of GTown percussion? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) The MV signature sound is the use of percussion and mixed media, including synths.

(That Scarbee.com animated banner drives my email/browser computer nuts, which happens to be my slowest computer...)

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Offhand, I would say, where is the percussion? (Where is your use of GTown percussion? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) The MV signature sound is the use of percussion and mixed media, including synths.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">...And guitars, I know!! But before I \"MV it up\" I just wanted your thoughts first before I do it. ;-)

Oh yes I also forgot to ask. How do you record fast drumming? Like i want it to be fast,too fast to play naturally on they keyboard, from samples? like lots of MV scores have in their action stuff. The only way I think I can do it is to record it at half the speed into the sequencer then change the tempo. But is there a better way? Problems arise doing it with this method

Ed

Originally posted by Ed:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">...And guitars, I know!! But before I \"MV it up\" I just wanted your thoughts first before I do it. ;-)

Oh yes I also forgot to ask. How do you record fast drumming? Like i want it to be fast,too fast to play naturally on they keyboard, from samples? like lots of MV scores have in their action stuff. The only way I think I can do it is to record it at half the speed into the sequencer then change the tempo. But is there a better way? Problems arise doing it with this method

Ed
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">One trick I did once was to lay out a bunch of similar samples on a number of keys and run a fast arpeggiator (from Kurzweil K2500) on them and played with the different settings... after I recorded some takes, I faded them in and out and changed the dynamics here and there... worked pretty well... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Ed:
    Ok, so I started writing this piece yesterday and wanted to make it sound more MediaVentures-y and then I listened to Face Off by Powell and The Rock, and Spy Game and decided I needed help ... I have my own thoughts on how I could do it, but what are yours?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You might want to try having ZERO counterpoint and just put everything in unison and parallel motion. That helps.

ouch!

Hey Ed! I\'d throw in some more instruments, like a powerful brass section playing melody with the strings plus emphasizing the hits and having heavy drum rhythms going on. Some Synth right used might give you a more broad feeling and super low end. Be not afraid of EQ-ing, although don\'t overdo it. Oh and add a decent reverb [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Perhaps make it a bit faster... Or disregard my ideas if you don\'t like them and listen again to some MV stuff [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hansi

I think Tob`s composition is great too .
    He`s really great at composing , and good at
    selecting sound`s & producing sounds that fit the
    MV type of score .
    I wonder how he makes all those cool sounds .
    music too ofcourse [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Veron

Go Back to forum