• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie here... I'm inspired by you guys.

Share/Bookmark

Newbie here... I\'m inspired by you guys.

Hello all! I\'ve been a member for a few days and just want to say that I\'ve enjoyed reading the posts, listening to your MP3 compositions and learning a lot in the process.

Your music inspires me and at the same time makes me realize how much (or how little) I know about music.

Here\'s my first feeble attempt at \"orchestral composition.\" I used a JV-1080, XV-5080, plus LCDX samples (free from Roland), and Symphony of Voices CD. I composed this after watching Lord of the Rings II.
    Rohan - The Alliances of Middle Earth

I want to learn more and improve my skills. I don\'t know how to read notes, I do not know music theory, but I am enjoying this music-making anyway...even though my main profession is in the computer field. I hope to stick around and learn more from you guys by listening to all your music.

Peace
    Owel

Re: Newbie here... I\'m inspired by you guys.

Very nice theme. I like it alot. Keep it up.
    Cheers,
    J

Hey Owel,
    Welcome to Northern. It\'s funny, I just typed an observation that this place was deluged with first time comps in the last week and here you are throwing fuel onto the fire. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    My humble thoughts.
    It sounds ok but I don\'t think from a purely listening perspective you can sustain that motif for as long as you did. If it were under picture perhaps it could serve it\'s purpose, but then again that would be a long scene too. I kept waiting for something to happen. Your on your way to a good idea there but it doesn\'t seem to have any particular highlight. At times it\'s difficult to get feedback so I would concentrate on making a shorter piece in order to get the most responses you can. Keep it up and keep posting.

christianb

Jamie - Thanks for the encouragement.

Christian - You\'re right. It\'s over-extended. My previous attempts were short (running under 2 minutes) and friends were saying it\'s too short - that I need to make it longer. I think I made it too long [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The highlights (or climax) is towards the end, so I think I may cut pieces in the middle, and shorten this from 5 to 3 minutes???

ADVICE NEEDED: What do composers do to create highlights in a piece? Do you mean a change in tempo, or different instruments? or something musically different?

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it much.
    Owel

I think he meant just through in a bridge or two, then come back to the theme later on. That will make the climax more powerful too: if the theme goes away for a while, then comes back at full force!

P.S. (And this might offend you! But it really is a compliment!) your piece reminded me less of Lord of the Rings and more of Blade Runner! It sounded like something straight out of that movie. It makes me want to pop in the DVD right now! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Owel,

Nice piece. Like the others I\'d say that it needs more variation too. After the firt 20 secs or so, you feel as if you want something to happen - a new theme, a change in instrumentation, something being dropped or added etc.

The sound itself very warm and lush. It sounds very expansive and wide - if a little synthy in places (that\'s not criticism just how it comes across to me).

Like JudasCloud, the first thing I thought when I heard the first bar (esp. the brass, vox and low drone) was \"vangelis\" and especially the opening sequence in \"Blade Runner\"!

It\'s a really good first effort (says he from his newbie chair [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and you have a good hear for a spacious soundstage and mix.

Rudi

Originally posted by JudasCloud:

P.S. (And this might offend you! But it really is a compliment!) your piece reminded me less of Lord of the Rings and more of Blade Runner! It sounded like something straight out of that movie. It makes me want to pop in the DVD right now! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t punish yourself, wait for the Special Edition with its new print.

------------
    Alex Cremers

>After the firt 20 secs or so, you feel as if you want something to happen - a new theme, a change in instrumentation, something being dropped or added etc.

Thanks. I will try that.

> if a little synthy in places (that\'s not criticism just how it comes across to me).

I think that\'s probably the JV-1080 brass... I ordered the Sam Horns after reading all the good reviews it got here and listening to the demos. I\'ll try replacing that patch.

Thanks!
    Owel

Good Work,
    I´m sure that with good stuft this will sound quite better.
    It´s curiuse that my first work is inspired in Tolkien books too, Hope show you next mounth.

Keep working.

Go Back to forum