• Register
  • Help

Topic: A New DAW For Me

Share/Bookmark

A New DAW For Me

Well, i think I'm getting tired of waiting to see what Apple comes up with in the next major release of Logic Pro and anyway I would prefer to invest in a cross platform DAW. I don't see much reason to try DP8 for a relatively steep $199 upgrade after giving up trying to learn DP6 a few years ago.

So I think I'm going to go with Studio One V.2 Producer which is on sale this month for $149.00. There is a Pro version which has additional features for live studio recording and mastering which I can always upgrade to. It's been rated number three in Synthtopia and Musicradar 2012 polls. That's pretty amazing for only being out for two years.

I still plan on doing a lot of my MIDI work in Sagan Technologies Metro as it probably beats any DAW hands down for breadth of MIDI editing features.

Phil

Re: A New DAW For Me

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...I think I'm going to go with Studio One V.2 Producer which is on sale this month for $149.00. ...I still plan on doing a lot of my MIDI work in Sagan Technologies Metro as it probably beats any DAW hands down for breadth of MIDI editing features.
    Phil
    Cool, Phil - I vaguely remember hearing about Sagan Metro before, maybe from one of your posts. I Googled it up, and see that I've visited their site before. The MIDI tools look pretty nifty:

METRO

But I see it's a full DAW with audio producing capabilities too. Do you find that area in Metro wanting, and that's why you're finding the need to get a second program to use in conjunction with it?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    But I see it's a full DAW with audio producing capabilities too. Do you find that area in Metro wanting, and that's why you're finding the need to get a second program to use in conjunction with it?

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Jeremy Sagan is promising to release and major upgrade to Metro before the first of the year with twenty unknown new features. It already has a lot of MIDI music creation features not found in any other DAW but does have limitations such as only eight aux busses for instrument libraries a ninety nine audio track limit.

The audio side is usually fine for my needs but it seems to lack some of the more sophisticated features available in other DAWs.

I've got the basics down for Studio One Free but maybe I should just wait see what Metro looks like after the upgrade and possibly save myself a few bucks.

Phil

There is no "more powerful" midi editing in a DAW program than Digital Performer.
    A lot of people think Pro Tools is the king of midi, it is light years behind DP.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    There is no "more powerful" midi editing in a DAW program than Digital Performer.
    A lot of people think Pro Tools is the king of midi, it is light years behind DP.
    Dan,

You may be correct but Metro, although not much to look at, has plenty of features. The Graphic Editor can display up to sixteen editable MIDI or audio tracks at once. You can play in notes in free time and then if you need quantized measures to display correct notation in the Notation Editor or export to a notation program all you have to do is select the Bar Move Tool and just pull the measure bars around to adjust the tempo.

Here's a Box link to some of Metro's Features in PDF format.

https://www.box.com/s/yw8w429th8e9c4ms8ct5

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...Here's a Box link to some of Metro's Features in PDF format. - [link]

Phil
    Neat, Phil - Thanks for posting the PDFs. Metro indeed looks really good. It's great how so much data, both MIDI and audio can be displayed simultaneously. And I like the way all of those editing pop-up menus are of one uniform design - that alone would make the work flow smooth and intuitive.

It's certainly a rather obscure program - I never see mention of it on bulletin boards. But we all know now that it's not necessarily the most high profile companies which offer the best software.

Randy

It's certainly a rather obscure program - I never see mention of it on bulletin boards. But we all know now that it's not necessarily the most high profile companies which offer the best software.
    Randy,

It's probably the same reason why MOTU finds its self releasing a Windows version of DP8. Survival?

The kids get GarageBand for free with a Mac and then progress to Logic and also Protools. It's all about studio recording to make music you wish you didn't have to hear and not creating music with MIDI instruments, just using MIDI for beats and using loops.

And also everyone expects a ton of free plug-ins so if your not well connected then who need you.

At least I'm still using Metro and for my MIDI work I'm quite comfortable with it. Also I don't think the developer cares too much about market share. It seems to be his serious past time and he only adds features that he feels will improve work flow, not interior decorating and look-at-this stuff.

I added another screen shot showing how you can create sections and then you move the finished sections into another sort of master section dragging the colored arrows which then turn into subsection ribbons which you can duplicate or do what ever you want to do with construction of the music. You can still edit the ribbons editing the original sections as they are still connected. After it sounds good to you, you expand the master section and all the tracks from the ribbon subsections become the multi track finished file although you can still completely edit it as a MIDI multi track file.

https://www.box.com/s/yw8w429th8e9c4ms8ct5

Phil

I see that PreSonas has dropped the price of Studio One Producer to $99. Tempting!

The Pro version is down to $249 which has built in Melodyne pitch and time correction and full mastering capability for recording studio work.

Close to Reaper prices!

Go Back to forum