• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Off Topic : 57 octaves below middle C.

Share/Bookmark

Re: Off Topic : 57 octaves below middle C.

I read that in Saturday\'s paper, and I don\'t understand it. Sound by definition is a bunchof oscillations that make waves (unless you get really far out there and start talking about sones, which are wave particles just like light).

So they\'ve found an oscillation that moves really slowly. Middle C moves at 262 times a second (262 Hertz). Divide that in half 57 times and you get this new note that\'s just above 0 Hz.

Without doing the maths, I should be able to flap my arms once every ten years and create an oscillation lower than 57 octaves below middle C.

Someone explain what I\'m missing, please!

Wow, very interesting. Maybe not so inapporpriate a post if you want to try obtaining a sound recording of the Black Hole, and then placing it into a sample library and then using a pitch shifting plugin, so that humans can listen to it =)

Nick, I don\'t think you\'re nearly massive enough to cause such an ossilation. The \"sound\" oscillation produced by the black hole is mainly a function of its mass, which allows for extremely expansive, but ultimately low cycling waves

Such a low frequency would be all-but-impossible to form without that type of mass.

Sound also requires a medium to travel through. When learning about black holes, since we cannot see them directly, we must observe their effect on their surroundings. I have no idea how they found this but I\'m sure that it involves some major physics.

As to the frequency being so low, this is not significant for a human (our lifetimes being less than 100 years) but consider that the black hole has been around for Earth\'s lifetime many times over.

If this frequency is constant, then, in my eyes, this is significant. Two important questions arise:

1. What kind of speakers are they using in those black holes to get that kind of bass?

2. Where can I get some?

Originally posted by Daedalus:
    Sound also requires a medium to travel through. When learning about black holes, since we cannot see them directly, we must observe their effect on their surroundings. I have no idea how they found this but I\'m sure that it involves some major physics.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s it. It\'s impossible to hear anything in empty space. I guess the scientits found some kind of oscillation or something and the good ol\' press boys turned it into an absurd but funny and sellin\' title, because the press agencys have been spreading the new all over the world (i saw it in the TV news here in spain)

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:

Without doing the maths, I should be able to flap my arms once every ten years and create an oscillation lower than 57 octaves below middle C.

Someone explain what I\'m missing, please!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Make that once ever 16 Million years. There are similar threads about this over at the KVR and SOund on Sound forums, with some calculations.

Dnaiel

If a black hole makes a sound at 57 octaves below middle C and nobody can hear that low, does a tree falling in the forest make a sound?

-- Martin

i heard it was a B flat.Maynard Ferguson could a hit that note...Rich

QUICK.... Somebody sample that!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum