• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Polyphony in GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark

Polyphony in GigaStudio

I\'m having notes cut each other off something fierce. The status over on the right never shows the voices above around 60. Memory is at %36 (though will probably run closer to %80 when I get everything up and loaded) and CPU never goes above %15 (Usually 6 or 7).

Could it be an issue with the streaming?

I\'m running the sounds off an external USB 2.0 drive with 7200rpm.

What else could be causing it?

Anyhow, thanks all.

Re: Polyphony in GigaStudio

The culprit might be the external USB drive. How does it go if you try streaming from an internal drive?

The other possibility is that you\'e reset your polyphony somehow. When first installed, some versions of Giga are set to use a maximum of around 60 voices, until the user sets a new lmit.

Yea id like to know as well. When Im using Atmosphere for example and using Prosonus String Staccs the voices shoots up, but never usually to 96 (I havethat version) but gets cut off or which usually happens the computer kind of pauses and then plays a bunch of crap that Im not playing into the computer...

I have 512 RAM and 750 AMD...

It is weird

Ed

Ed

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by folk prophet:
    I\'m having notes cut each other off something fierce. The status over on the right never shows the voices above around 60. Memory is at %36 (though will probably run closer to %80 when I get everything up and loaded) and CPU never goes above %15 (Usually 6 or 7).

Could it be an issue with the streaming?

What else could be causing it?

Anyhow, thanks all.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Give us the full hardware spec on that system.

I suspect, however, that the USB drive is the culprit. Is this a laptop? If so, have you tried a Firewire drive? If not, have you tried an internal? You might even be able to crack open the USB drive and mount it or at least give it a test (it\'s probably just an ATA in a wrapper).

Originally posted by Ed:
    Yea id like to know as well. When Im using Atmosphere for example and using Prosonus String Staccs the voices shoots up, but never usually to 96 (I havethat version) but gets cut off or which usually happens the computer kind of pauses and then plays a bunch of crap that Im not playing into the computer...

I have 512 RAM and 750 AMD...

It is weird

Ed

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Ed,

You are asking a lot of that machine to run two streaming samplers in tandem. I couldn\'t do it with a Celeron 850 I had some time back. I\'m surprised you\'re not having more problems than that...at that clock speed the AMD must be a better performer than the Celly I had.

Originally posted by folk prophet:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Check that you\'re not running your USB 2.0 drive in a USB 1.1 port. Even if it says it\'s a USB 2.0 port, the USB Forum renamed USB 1.1 to \"Full-Speed USB 2.0\" and USB 2.0 to \"Hi-Speed USB 2.0.\" This was purely a marketing concession to manufacturers who wanted to be able to tell their customers who were demanding USB 2.0 that their USB ports are \"USB 2.0\" compliant. In other words, it allows manufacturers to completely confuse, and even lie to, their customers.

Let\'s see, my specs:

You\'re right Bruce, it is a laptop.

Pentium M Centrino 1.4ghz processor
    1gig Ram (DDR)
    Echo Indigo PCM/CIA sound card
    USB 2.0 (Yes, it\'s high speed) external drive

I\'m gonna be mad if it\'s the drive. I specifically asked on this forum several times if USB was really good enough for this. I was assured that the drive itself would be the bottle neck and not to worry.

*sigh* I suppose if I have to go get a firewire drive as well it won\'t kill me. But, if so, there\'s a couple hundred down the drain.

Aren\'t there some settings that have to be configured -- something about turning DMA on or something like that? Are there other considerations that could be hurting the polyphony.

Actually, even when I don\'t have polyphony problems the tempo won\'t stay stable. But I suspect that\'s a problem with the way my sequencer interacts with the operating system and Gigastudio. Does anyone know of a way that I can prioritize what Windows considers important in the scheme of things. Ever since I\'ve switched to Windows XP it seems to treat my sequencer like it\'s lowest priority. I used to be able to multi-task like crazy without effecting the playback tempo. Now if I open another window or click on anything while it\'s playing it\'ll pause while thinking.

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    The culprit might be the external USB drive. How does it go if you try streaming from an internal drive?

The other possibility is that you\'e reset your polyphony somehow. When first installed, some versions of Giga are set to use a maximum of around 60 voices, until the user sets a new lmit.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll double check the polyphony setting. But it seems like I remember seeing something that said it was set for 160. Let\'s see...now where do I find that.....

You won\'t be mad at me, though, right? I would have advised against a laptop Giga-rig altogether...

But, I hope you\'ll be able to tune up for better performance. You\'re dealing with a very inexact science, using a laptop with a peripheral drive for hardcore streaming. Streaming samplers put your drive subsystems on crack.

Firewire is something you should check, but hopefully you can find a drive to borrow so you don\'t have to spend $$ on an experiment. It may be no better than the USB. Or it might solve your problem. If it does solve the problem, chances are you could buy a Firewire drive case, and just take your drive out of the USB case and transfer it to that.

You\'re definitely a pioneer. I have fantasized about using a laptop for gigs instead of my 4-space rackmount, but the issue of drives has been the deciding factor against that. I hope you can get it worked out.

I am not sure where to check to make sure a USB drive is running in DMA mode. I\'m not finding it in Device Manager where the other DMA-status pages reside. It may not run in anything BUT DMA mode. Perhaps a Windows genius can help us out?

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    You won\'t be mad at me, though, right? I would have advised against a laptop Giga-rig altogether...

But, I hope you\'ll be able to tune up for better performance. You\'re dealing with a very inexact science, using a laptop with a peripheral drive for hardcore streaming. Streaming samplers put your drive subsystems on crack.

Firewire is something you should check, but hopefully you can find a drive to borrow so you don\'t have to spend $$ on an experiment. It may be no better than the USB. Or it might solve your problem. If it does solve the problem, chances are you could buy a Firewire drive case, and just take your drive out of the USB case and transfer it to that.

You\'re definitely a pioneer. I have fantasized about using a laptop for gigs instead of my 4-space rackmount, but the issue of drives has been the deciding factor against that. I hope you can get it worked out.

I am not sure where to check to make sure a USB drive is running in DMA mode. I\'m not finding it in Device Manager where the other DMA-status pages reside. It may not run in anything BUT DMA mode. Perhaps a Windows genius can help us out?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am, granted, pioneering here. I knew that when I jumped into it. I don\'t necessarilly need it perfect either. I just need something I can reasonably work with when not at home...because I\'m NEVER at home. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If I have to use another computer for the final mix...or render audio tracks as I go or something, that\'s not entirely impossible. But the tempo problem is serious enough even with a single instrument playing. In this case, the part is quantized so should be mechanically perfect and it sounds like it\'s being played by someone with a serious tick in their playing hand.

I think I can borrow a firewire drive. That\'s a good idea. Spending money on the experiment was exactly my concern.

The USB drives probably are set to either DMA or not and can\'t be changed. Just my luck they\'re probably not. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, I\'ll keep you updated on my getting it working or not so you can, perhaps, realize your laptop fantasy someday. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I wonder if my sequencer is an issue. I\'m using Master Tracks at present and it\'s about 7 years out of date. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I have Cubase...I just don\'t care for it much as a sequencer. Maybe I\'ll get it up and running for a bit to see if it makes a difference.

Later

Go Back to forum