• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For Snor: Tadd Dameron’s “Lady Bird”- Arranged for Euphonium w/ Sax & Rhythm Sections

Share/Bookmark

For Snor: Tadd Dameron’s “Lady Bird”- Arranged for Euphonium w/ Sax & Rhythm Sections

Hello Friends!

A few months ago, our very own Snorlax was here waxing-on poetically about the beauty and virtues of all things brass and conical ... particularly the euphonium and tuba. I was listening!

About the same time, I had been planning to create an original arrangement of a great bebop song featuring a standard five-man saxophone section (S-A-T-T-B). I thought it might be fun and interesting to add a euphonium to the mix. The euphonium plays the lead throughout (except on the sax soli) and is the featured improvising soloist. Piano, bass and drums round out the nonet. Click below to hear/download the arrangement …

Jazz Arrangement of Tadd Dameron’s “LADYBIRD”

The Euphonium is CoMB, the saxes and bass are JaBB, the piano GAS (basic) and the drums are Session Drummer 3 with some from JaBB as well. The arrangement was sequenced and mixed in Sonar X1.

Form of the arrangement …

Intro: Rhythm section (Note: Rhythm section plays throughout)
    1stChorus: Euphonium lead
    2ndChorus: Euphonium/Saxophone section lead
    3rdChorus: Saxophone soli
    4th Chorus: Euphonium solo
    5th Chorus: Saxophone section “trades 4’s” with Euphonium solo
    6thChorus: Piano solo
    7thChorus: Euphonium/Saxophone section lead
    Coda: Euphonium/Saxophone section lead

About the song …

Tadd Dameron (1917-1965) is one of my favorite bop composers (he also was an in-demand arranger and played piano). His tunes always display a sophisticated harmonic and rhythmic sensibility, and his melodies always seem to have a quirky, puckish character to them. His stuff is always very melodic and great to improvise off of.

“Lady Bird” is classic Dameron. The entire composition is only 16 measures long. Although grounded in C-Maj, at bars 3-4 he teases us with the ii-V from Eb-Maj, but instead returns back to C-Maj. At bars 7-8, via a different ii-V setup, he this time modulates up to Ab-Maj. At bars 11-12, he ii-V’s us down through G-Maj, where at bars 13-14 he logically ii-V’s us right back to C-Maj. (Measures 15-16 are a I-bIII-bVI-V turnaround). The melody is fairly chromatic, but Dameron contrasts this with three different series of leaps.

Even with horns, this tune is usually played in C-Maj, since nearly half the harmony is in flat keys anyway.

Voicings …

This arrangement features nearly all ‘block’ voicings. (Here’s a link to a related General Discussion question a forum member raised … “Block Writing vs Contrary Motion”).There’s just a tad of independence for the baritone sax (and bass) during the 7th chorus.

The 2ndand 7th Chorus’s (and coda) Euphonium/Saxophone section leads has the saxes playing in 5-part-drop 2 harmony, with the euphonium doubling the lead (the soprano sax) 8vb.

The 3rdChorus saxophone soli is mostly in 5-part close.

When the sax section trades 4’s in Chorus 5, it uses some wider spread voicings.

We were discussing Benny Carter on
    Jay’s “When Lights Are Low” thread and Carter’s prowess in writing sax solis. With 5-part harmony, these sax voicings are thicker and display more dissonance than a classic Carter sax soli. These are probably closer to a Thad Jones-styled voicing than to Carter’s. To lighten the sound up a bit, I would voice the saxes in 4-part/doubled lead, but I was going for this ‘riper’, edgier sound.

Sharing At The Forum …

Thanks to Jim (Snorlax) for raising our awareness of instruments that are near and dear to him. This is what I love here at the forum, that we all get to share aspects of music that are personal to us, and, as in this case, possibly cross-pollinating and creating a new piece of music sharing our interests.

Hope you enjoy “LadyBird”!

Frank

(... and a Happy Thanksgiving for all!)

Re: For Snor: Tadd Dameron’s “Lady Bird”- Arranged for Euphonium w/ Sax & Rhythm Sect

Thanks Frank for the wonderful arrangement. Jazz is not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the piece enormously because of the well balanced sonority and lovely bass line. It must be very pleasant to be a bassist in such an ensemble: a lot of swing, harmonious freedom and room for improvisation on the given chord schemes. I know a very good female bass player who chose only for jazz because of that feature, and she's amazing at it (and good looking too).

Thanks for sharing

Max

Re: For Snor: Tadd Dameron’s “Lady Bird”- Arranged for Euphonium w/ Sax & Rhythm Sect

FRANK...

WHAT A HAPPY THANKSGIVING PRESENT!!
    THIS IS NO TURKEY!

DAMERON...ANOTHER PERSONAL FAVORITE.

Euphonium and saxes...a great combination.

THANK YOU, FRANK!!

Jim

PS--Almost done with I'M IN THE MOOD FOR SWING. Five saxes, 4 trombones, rhythm. NO TRUMPETS.
    I'm gonna paste in a solo I played on it as soon as I get out from under a ton of work and an obligatory stay at the in-laws.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! What a great arrangement! As a past brass player myself I have to say this really sounds like something I would have loved to play.

Thanks Frank!
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Very nice indeed! I loved it Frank. The block harmony came off just right. The sax's were brighter than I would have expected but they sounded marvelous. I liked the "Desifinado" quote that the piano used.

The tad dameron tune, "tads delight" was the first jazz song that I arranged for horns. I have always liked his music.
    Your description of what what you were doing was excellent. It makes for good reference.
    Keep it coming. Jay

SUPERB!

The most well spent 3:37 mins of the day.

And I see the musical statement/reply game works!

I'll go for Snorlax's now.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Thanks Frank for the wonderful arrangement. Jazz is not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the piece enormously because of the well balanced sonority and lovely bass line. It must be very pleasant to be a bassist in such an ensemble: a lot of swing, harmonious freedom and room for improvisation on the given chord schemes. I know a very good female bass player who chose only for jazz because of that feature, and she's amazing at it (and good looking too).

Thanks for sharing

Max
    Hi Max ... Thanks so much for giving some jazz a listen!

I know jazz is not your favorite genre so that (to me) speaks volumes of what kind of a musician you are, willing to listen beyond your comfort zone. Much appreciated!

I'm glad you enjoyed the bass line. I spend a lot of time on them. When I start a jazz arrangement, the first thing I usually do is go through and lay down a piano track that outlines all the important harmonies. Then comes the preliminary bass line based strictly on the initial harmony. Then the fun begins! After the lead has been sketched in, I go back and try and make the bass line fun and more interesting and this begins to really alter the entire composition/arrangement. The revised, more sophisticated bass track then necessitates a reworking of the harmony, but this is what gives a piece momentum and flavor.

Yes, in jazz, there is probably no more fun to be had than walking a swinging bass line through an arrangement, playing as-written under the ensembles, but creating spontaneous lines in real-time under all the solo sections. Now that's freedom! (And I'm sure it is a double treat so see a pretty lady doing this!).

Thanks for your kind words, Max.

Frank

!!!!

Jazz class is in session! Frank, I'm in awe. This is light years away from anything I'd be able to do with this material, and so all I can do is sit back in my front row seat enraptured and then leap up hooting, hollering and whistling during your tremendously deserved ovation.

Fantastic.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    FRANK...

WHAT A HAPPY THANKSGIVING PRESENT!!
    THIS IS NO TURKEY!

DAMERON...ANOTHER PERSONAL FAVORITE.

Euphonium and saxes...a great combination.

THANK YOU, FRANK!!

Jim

PS--Almost done with I'M IN THE MOOD FOR SWING. Five saxes, 4 trombones, rhythm. NO TRUMPETS.
    I'm gonna paste in a solo I played on it as soon as I get out from under a ton of work and an obligatory stay at the in-laws.
    Hey Jim!

Now that the turkey feathers have settled down, I can get to answering some of the comments left here!

Thanks for your compliments; much appreciated ... I'm real glad you liked it.

Of course, between your piece, Jay's, and this 'Lady Bird', we had quite an extended stay in the listening room this extended weekend, including some visits from the non-jazz community as well. It was fun for me to be part of the 'three piece mini-festival'.

Dameron: I'll be listening to the local jazz station (WBGO on NPR) and every once in a while I'll hear a piece I'm not familiar with but say "Man, what a great chord progression!" or just laugh out loud because the simple melody just blows you away. It usually turns out to be another Tadd Dameron song. Glad there's a few of us here who enjoy Tadd and Thad, Benny and Clare!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! What a great arrangement! As a past brass player myself I have to say this really sounds like something I would have loved to play.

Thanks Frank!
    Hi Mitch,

Thanks for stopping by for a few swing choruses ... hey, grab your horn and I'll have the rhythm section back your solo! Dameron's music is so infectious to play that a lot of players would share your last remark.

Many thanks for the listen and your kind words on the arrangement ... it was a blast (or should I say gas!) to create.

Frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast