• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: sissies sassy sister

Share/Bookmark

sissies sassy sister

Believe or not, this thing started out as a mambo and boy did it morph into something else. There is just a hint of mambo that can be heard in the piano part, but that's about it. It uses Jabb horns and flute.
    Jay

www.jesse.us.com/sister.mp3

Re: sissies sassy sister

Mambo or not, it's a lovely piece of 'light' music to play as a background or to listen to in a quiet environment and enjoy. Nothing complicated, just flowing. Good recording, nice flute and Jabb.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

... or to play early in the morning.

Good for a day start, thanks

Raymond

Max and Raymond! Thanks for the listen. I was trying to get something that was relatively easy to listen to. The rhythmic interactions may have gotten a little busy, but I spent some time trying to keep it from interfering with the flow of the piece.
    Thanks for commenting. Jay

Hey Jay!

Who woulda though THREE jazz pieces would be at the top of the Listening Room the last couple of days ... Fantasitc!

This is classic Jay; easy, quirky, funky, yet oh-so-cool. I'm always intriqued with your harmonic progressions. Moving between F (or Dmin) and then it sounds like it's going to be a blues progression in E, but then at some point it gets blurred and after a little sojurn, we end up back the way it begins. Never predictable!

Nice flute work, too ... enjoyed the listen!

Frank

Thanks for the nice words Frank! Over the past few years I have gotten into just letting the harmonic movement go where I hear it going. I never write down chord symbols and when I am done with the song, I have to go back over it to see what the resulting harmonic progression is for improvising purposes. I know music theory very well, but when I decided to think in simpler terms like common tones between adjacent harmonies it made my life easier. (Since all of the traditional harmonic movements are based on common tones. ii V I, etc.) I am not trying to tell you something you don't already know because I have listened and enjoyed your work over the past couple of years or so. If someone was to ask me what the changes were in the A section, I know that they are 7th type chords going down in major seconds. If someone asked me what the changes were on the bridge, I would have to find out, because I did not need to know what the changes were.
    If you think I am being a little more verbose here than usual because I have had one or two martini's, you would be wrong. I have had three martini's.

I always appreciate your input Frank. Thanks. Jay

Digging this!!
    It has a bit of a Steely Dan vibe to it...makes me want to write some lyrics that are full of sarcasm, double entendres, problems of rich kids from Islip, and obscure references!!

Agree fully with the comment that "just when you think it's gonna be a straight ahead blues, it throws you a curveball" --kinda like many of the tunes on SD's "Two Against Nature" CD.

Well done!!

Jim

PS--how come I can't write the word that is spelled with a b and a y? It won't appear when i type it??? . I just typed it 4 times.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    "... Over the past few years I have gotten into just letting the harmonic movement go where I hear it going. I never write down chord symbols and when I am done with the song, I have to go back over it to see what the resulting harmonic progression is for improvising purposes. I know music theory very well, but when I decided to think in simpler terms like common tones between adjacent harmonies it made my life easier ..."
    Back again, Jay ...

Yeah, I love your approach to harmonic progressions (the direct opposite of what I did with all the thickened line writing on "Lady Bird", albeit there's little room in thickened line writing for the sort of 'evolving harmony' we're talking about as you did in your fine arrangement).

Are you a fan of Clare Fischer? Does this sound familiar?: Fischer got to a point where traditional chord symbology couldn't really tell the story of where his harmonies were going. He would have these 5-6-7 voice chords and something always seems to be in resolution while another voice is setting up new tension. It's really a beautiful technique because the harmony is so fluid and always continuosly evolving. It's very linear and allows for strong voice leading so there's a lot of side benefits to it as well.

It's interesting how there's so many different ways to make music, right?

Frank

I loved hearing the details you put forth w/ 3 martinis! My problem is I'm verbose even w/o the martinis (could it be the apple and pumpkin pie I'm about to OD on???? )

Hey Snor! Just to rub it in: bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    Anyway thanks for listening and the nice words. I had not thought of this as having a little similarity to SD until you mentioned it. Now I can hear it some.

Frank! Clare Fischer is one of my favorites. His sense of voicing is really unmatched. I was surfing around on the internet and sadly found out that he died earlier this year. I did not know that.
    I do like the linear style of harmonizing. Sometimes though, I think people get a little carried away with it and become very abstract. I was thinking that sometime I might do piano trio arrangement of Pensativa. I know it is an overplayed song but it is so beautiful.
    Thanks to you both for your input. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    ... If someone was to ask me what the changes were in the A section, I know that they are 7th type chords going down in major seconds. If someone asked me what the changes were on the bridge, I would have to find out, because I did not need to know what the changes were...
    Great way to start my Saturday, Jay, hearing your snazzy music. Highly enjoyable, and a big + to Frank's posts about how you balance unpredictability with musical smarts. Not knowing what would happen next was/is a big part of the pleasure to be had here, but it's not as if you're jumping all over the map.

I pulled out your quote because I can relate to it so much. I too write 'em the way I want 'em - when I have reason to know what the chord progression is, I go back and make note of it.

Great conversation on this thread - thanks for sparking it with your super fine music, Jay!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast