• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: The Annual "where's the string library" thread.

Share/Bookmark

The Annual "where's the string library" thread.

thread topic says it all.
    I've stopped counting the years, but at least once a year I like to poke my head in and ask again: "when is there going to be a string library as has been promised us now for...oh... MANY years?"

Red face Re: The Annual "where's the string library" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I've stopped counting the years, but at least once a year I like to poke my head in and ask again: "when is there going to be a string library as has been promised us now for...oh... MANY years?"
    Yep Too many years. Now the exclusive morphing technology is gone, and the competitors developed so many good or excellent string libraries, even for reasonable price, that Garritan and Makemusic have probably other priorities in their niche of affordable or rare or educational music tools.

Same sad destiny for Real space convolution or Garritan choir.

Stainway, world, organ, istant orch. were brilliant ideas they deserved the priority.

Re: The Annual "where's the string library" thread.

Aaah, this is reassuring. Now I know for sure it's the holiday season, with your perennial question posted again, qccowboy.

I admit to having heard no news on this particular string library front, not since last year about this time.

Randy

I’ll stir the pot stating my wish this Christmas for the Garriten Choir.

Maybe a Garriten Choir but definitely not a Garritan Choir!

Jim

“Maybe?” And with the witty correction of spelling, you are saying there will definitely NOT be a Garritan choir coming? Is there anyone at Garritan or Make Music who can say what will be coming out in the next 2 months? Let’s consider simple marketing strategy here: It’s nearly Christmas, there are gifts to buy, money to be spent and a lot of praying going on. Having been involved with product marketing for a few decades, I contend the current approach of no comment until a new product is ready for distribution is a fiscal suicide mission.

All of Gary's libraries are wonderful and they can be used to achieve so many great, musical moments; however, my favorite two are the Stradivarius and the Gofriller string libraries. I never realized that a computer could produce something so nominal in cost and so beautiful in sound at the same time. They just "sing" when played correctly.

I, too, await a Garritan string library and when it comes, I know it will be a really great addition to Gary's already acclaimed host of musical libraries. But until that time, I, at least, have the Strad and Gofriller at my command. I was so lucky a few years ago in making the decision (during one of the Holiday sales) to purchase both. I never regretted that decision and they have served me well.

Change is sometimes difficult to accept, especially when there are so many inclusive variables. I guess we just have to have faith and be patient a little longer. Maybe I just know that Gary is looking out for us even though his presence hasn't made itself known for some time. Success these days takes a lot of planning and "hand-wringing" decision-making. The Garritan Team will not let us down. I can promise you that.

Onward,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Well remembered!

I have to say, I'm with you 100% with this one.
    One can certainly do an awful lot with GPO, but a specific library of strings (from Garritan), would really be the icing on the cake for me too.
    C'mon Gary, give your loyal fans, (and customers) another doozy here, pretty please?

Kind regards,
    John.

I also am thoroughly in love with the old Strad and Gofriller instruments. They incredibly expressive, and despite having purchased another company's solo instrument library, I continue to use the Strad and Gopher as my first choice for violin and cello.

I also happen to love the woodwinds in GPO4. I've listened to many other libraries, and honestly, for the price, the GPO woodwinds are perfect. I have absolutely no complaints in that sector. The GPO english horn is incredibly expressive. Actually, not quite true, I DO have a single complaint about the GPO woodwinds: the clarinets are recorded a tiny bit too loud compared to the other woodwinds. But that is SUCH a minor complaint, and easily dealt with from within Finale.

Which brings me to:

Yup, I am a die-hard Finale user. I work from a score. Only. I have tried and am completely incapable of conceiving music in a sequencer. I need to see the "page".

And in that sense, the Garritan instruments (other than IO) have been a godsend. They respond with minimal tweaking to a detailed written score and playback amazingly close to how I would expect actual musicians to perform.

And this brings us full circle to...

Strings.

This is where GPO is lacking. Sectional strings.

GPO is also one of the very few libraries that has a very distinct "2nd violin" section in its samples

I've looked at more expensive libraries. Sure they DO sound good (when you're writing the kind of music they are designed for. ie: "epic" film music). But many have "violins". Not "violin 1" and "violin 2".

Far too many actually have "strings", rather than differentiating the section into its component parts as it should.

This is where GPO SO far outpaced its competitors when it came out.

And it would be SO great if the Christmas elves at Gary's Workshop in Garritan Village (which I always imagine being at the North Pole.. but let's just assume that Orcas Island is a LOT further.. and colder.. than it is) could give us the 2012 version of GPO's strings now.

It was brilliant of GPO to have "notation" instruments, with standardized keyswitches, along with a version designed for sequencer users. That way, both camps were presented with workable tools.

So, again: a string library... arco, pizz, harmonics, col legno, mutes...

We NEED it.

Because honestly right now, I haven't found any other products that work in that regard.
    Garritan libraries are THE most trouble-free products I've worked with in MANY years.

I also am thoroughly in love with the old Strad and Gofriller instruments. They incredibly expressive, and despite having purchased another company's solo instrument library, I continue to use the Strad and Gopher as my first choice for violin and cello.

I also happen to love the woodwinds in GPO4. I've listened to many other libraries, and honestly, for the price, the GPO woodwinds are perfect. I have absolutely no complaints in that sector. The GPO english horn is incredibly expressive. Actually, not quite true, I DO have a single complaint about the GPO woodwinds: the clarinets are recorded a tiny bit too loud compared to the other woodwinds. But that is SUCH a minor complaint, and easily dealt with from within Finale.

Which brings me to:

Yup, I am a die-hard Finale user. I work from a score. Only. I have tried and am completely incapable of conceiving music in a sequencer. I need to see the "page".

And in that sense, the Garritan instruments (other than IO) have been a godsend. They respond with minimal tweaking to a detailed written score and playback amazingly close to how I would expect actual musicians to perform.

And this brings us full circle to...

Strings.

This is where GPO is lacking. Sectional strings.

GPO is also one of the very few libraries that has a very distinct "2nd violin" section in its samples

I've looked at more expensive libraries. Sure they DO sound good (when you're writing the kind of music they are designed for. ie: "epic" film music). But many have "violins". Not "violin 1" and "violin 2".

Far too many actually have "strings", rather than differentiating the section into its component parts as it should.

This is where GPO SO far outpaced its competitors when it came out.

And it would be SO great if the Christmas elves at Gary's Workshop in Garritan Village (which I always imagine being at the North Pole.. but let's just assume that Orcas Island is a LOT further.. and colder.. than it is) could give us the 2012 version of GPO's strings now.

It was brilliant of GPO to have "notation" instruments, with standardized keyswitches, along with a version designed for sequencer users. That way, both camps were presented with workable tools.

So, again: a string library... arco, pizz, harmonics, col legno, mutes...

We NEED it.

Because honestly right now, I haven't found any other products that work in that regard.
    Garritan libraries are THE most trouble-free products I've worked with in MANY years.

There are a number of superb string libraries that do all that is required - but they are more expensive. Here isn't the place to discuss them but one in particular works perfectly with Finale and provides all the articulations needed which can be triggered using Human Playback expressions. Finale also allows you to set up the required dynamic responses (eg cc1, cc11, key velocity etc) for each library. I have literally dozens of Kontakt libraries and use all of them without effort from within Finale. Apart from cost, there is no need for anyone to be deprived of expressive and easy to use instruments. GPO can still be your go to library but there is no reason to believe the world stops there if you wish for better strings or choir.

Garritan is now part of Finale. Infact, Garritan made Finale!! Before anyone thinks I was being rebellious in the previous paragraph, I truly thank Garritan and Finale for getting together and making it possible for a notation program to play back so expressively and with such ease. Finale has led the way since 2004 and returning to my first paragraph, most sample producers are recognising this and ensuring their libraries work with Finale. It's taken a while but nearly all of them now allow the use of cc as well as keyswitches.

So, I would love to see Gary and the Finale team continue this good work. But I seriously think there is no need to continuing dreaming of the day when we will finally see either Garritan Strings or Choir. Too many alternatives, some exceptionally good, already exist. I think our efforts would be better spent encouraging the Finale team to move forward with a more user friendly playback menu and finer grained midi control. And likewise for this forum, at least in part, to move forward in the same direction.

Regards, Graham

www.soundclick.com/grahamkeitch

Go Back to forum