• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting the most out of Acoustic Mirror impulses?

Share/Bookmark

Getting the most out of Acoustic Mirror impulses?

Hey all:

I\'m considering getting away from my current reverb solution which is simply using Giga\'s NFX1 with the default settings (I know, sounds crazy). I\'d like to try out impulse files, but I haven\'t the slightest clue how to get the best result from these files. I read through the Acoustic Mirror section in the Sound Forge manual, and it\'s pretty straightforward. Are there any tricks I should know about? Does anyone use or create impulses that include head-related transfer functions? (HRTF)

Thanks for any info!

Re: Getting the most out of Acoustic Mirror impulses?

http://www.numericalsound.com
    Contact Ernest Cholakis. He is the authority on this matter.
    JW

Just seen Ernest\'s new impule cd on his website and decided to buy it - please could anyone tell me the benefits of 192Khz 24 bits to 44.1khz 16 bits. There are several formats but which one to choose!?

I think 24 bit 44.1 khz is the way to go. Most softwares allow you to convert to a 32 bit float internal resolution. There is an audible difference between 16 and 24 bit files.

JW.

andyt

Do people use Accoustic Mirror like any other reverb unit, by that I mean adding diferent levels of verb to individual instruments ... or just as an overall reverb to give a semblance of all the instruments in the same accoustic space, during the final stages of mixing and mastering?

I use it in combinations with other tools to get and overall sound. Usually its one of the last steps.

Andy

I know of musicians who use both approaches. For orchestral ambience however, individual reverb and even different impulses on each orchestral section - brass, woodwinds, strings etc. will often give a more pleasing hall sound than using one impulse for the whole orchestra.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

andyt

King, Ernest, thanks for the guidance.

Ernest, first of all thanks for the impulses on the GOS update which are fantastic. I am planning to buy your Pure Space Film RI CD which from your demos sounds incredible. I was wondering whether you could recommend some settings for use with these (like you say with the different choirs of the orchestra).

Cool brewick !

Last night I posted some orchestral solo instrument passages done with VSL. Bruce Mitchell sent me these passages the other day - thanks Bruce.

If you go to http://www.numericalsound.com/purespac.html and scroll down to the \"Solo Orchestral Instruments with Ambience\" there are 7 examples. They include the wet/dry level and the delay of the wet signal relative to the dry in milli seconds.

In the next couple of days I will try to post additional practical information on applying reverb to an orchestral instrument.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

Go Back to forum