• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT:Pleasantville/Randy Newman

OT:Pleasantville/Randy Newman

I was watching my DVD of Gary Ross\' Pleasantville the other day (you know the film - Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon get transported into a B/W 50\'s American TV show and end up changing the town as well as themselves) and noticed that the DVD included an \"isolated score\" feature (music only) for the entire movie with commentary by its composer Randy Newman. Newman talks about each cue as it comes up in the film, why he did this and that, what his other options were, what the director changed on him, what the director asked him to change, what it is like working in the industry, orchestration, the skills a film composer should have today, his other movies, etc. You really get a good feeling for the strategies Newman used in scoring the film. Great stuff.

IMHO, the score itself is very well crafted and is of the kind that is not wall-to-wall but rather subtly supportive of the moods and emotions the film is trying to project. So, I highly recommend this DVD for anyone interested in film music. Enjoy.

My favorite line from the movie: \"Well, we\'re safe for now. Thank goodness we\'re in a bowling alley.\"

Re: OT:Pleasantville/Randy Newman

Yeah that\'s a cool feature on some DVDs. Elliot Goldenthal takes you through his score on the Final Fantasy DVD. Very educational. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Bug\'s Life special edition goes nicely with Pleasantville. Newman talks about Bug\'s Life, and the special edition also has an isolated score.

The Matrix.

heres a nice list of isolated scores:

Originally posted by tob:
    heres a nice list of isolated scores:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great find! Thanks tob.

Go Back to forum