• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: NOTE: You can't type the word "b y" without using a space

Share/Bookmark

NOTE: You can't type the word "b y" without using a space

UPDATE 11/28/12 - This issue has cleared up. A space is no longer needed between B and Y. Leaving the original posts for the archive.
    --------------------------------------------------

Raymond
    first made note of this awhile back on one of his posts. I didn't quite understand what he meant until I was typing a post and was trying over and over to edit it, trying to make the word "b y" show up. - Then it sank in - This is what Raymond was talking about.

I alerted Admin about this awhile back - For now, I'm assuming that it's a very weird problem that can't be figured out yet.

But the issue is that if you ever use the word "b y" in a post, and it's difficult to write Any post without using it at least once, you have to put a space between the letters for it to show up. So, we can't say "Music b y" without the awkward space, for instance. We can't use the word in Any context.

Isn't that peculiar? Thought I'd post this thread to help people avoid pulling their hair out if they're noticing this glitch and wondering if it's their problem.-- It isn't!

Post written b y Randy

Re: NOTE: You can't type the word "b y" without using a space

Also

hob b y

bob b y

knob b y

lob b y

rob b y (the robot)

and (drum roll) ta da!

job b y

Phil

My problem is that the forum will not allow me to type in a reply of any kind, so I go to WORD, type out my message, copy it and paste it in the forum.

Now, that said, once in a while the forum seems to think that the pasted message is only one word and therefore too short. Oh well. I save it initially and can keep pasting it until the forum surrenders and allows it to stay. There are always alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Also

hob b y

bob b y

knob b y

lob b y

rob b y (the robot)

and (drum roll) ta da!

job b y

Phil
    Hehehe - I take it this means the same thing happens for you, Phil? There do seem to be some weird things at the Forum which not everybody encounters - I'm trying to understand if this "b y" problem is the same for everyone, or just some of us?

Tom, you said, "...I go to WORD, type out my message, copy it and paste it in the forum..." - Wow - now that's a new one on me. Have you tried using Notepad? I keep an icon link to it in my tray and use it constantly to do a bit of composing on the fly, pasting in to text boxes here at the Forum and other places online, but not because I have to, it's just a clean way to get your thoughts together before being in a reply box. I suggest it because it's less hassle than opening Word to do the same thing. Notepad can't use any spell check, but I rely on Windows spell check catching things once I've pasted the text in.

Randy

Hehehe - I take it this means the same thing happens for you, Phil? There do seem to be some weird things at the Forum which not everybody encounters - I'm trying to understand if this "b y" problem is the same for everyone, or just some of us?
    Yep, I noticed it lately when I tried to use the word hob b y. Maybe it's a censorship feature gone amuck.

Have you tried using Notepad? I keep an icon link to it in my tray and use it constantly to do a bit of composing on the fly, pasting in to text boxes here at the Forum and other places online, but not because I have to, it's just a clean way to get your thoughts together before being in a reply box. I suggest it because it's less hassle than opening Word to do the same thing. Notepad can't use any spell check, but I rely on Windows spell check catching things once I've pasted the text in.
    It's good idea unless it's going to be a short post. I've had the whole page on this site sort of disappear and your words are gone.

Phil

Well, now heck, problem does not exist on my system.

Ba bob hob ru etc.

However, now and then a message will disappear while attempting to post or type. So I often use Word Pad and prepare the message off line, and save it until Northern Sounds decides to keep my post.

Richard

Well, now , the problem appeared after the message was posted. Must be those darned gremlins again.

Prepared off line, using Global Writer: e ru ba bob hob

Prepared off line using Word Pad: e ru ba bob hob

Now what works, if anything?

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    ...Ba bob hob ru etc....Well, now , the problem appeared after the message was posted. Must be those darned gremlins again.

Prepared off line, using Global Writer: e ru ba bob hob

Prepared off line using Word Pad: e ru ba bob hob...
    Yes, the problem doesn't appear until after your message is posted. I think this particular problem is happening for everyone, but they don't notice unless they give their posts a thorough read through after they're up on the board.

I don't understand your examples though, Richard. The only word effected is "b y," not be, rub, bab, bob, hob.

You don't list the handiest of text programs, Notepad, in the list of utilities you've tried. But, I can speak from experience, that using Notepad doesn't fix the problem either. As Phil noted, this must be caused some kind of bulletin board censoring software gone awry. Hard to imagine what it was originally intended to block---?

Still not having heard from PapChalk, the Forum's sole Administrator, I'm assuming he's either on vacation or is stymied this odd glitch.

Meanwhile - "b space y" - If you want posts to scan the way you intend, you need the space for that one little word. So strange.

R

I don't understand your examples though, Richard. The only word effected is "b y," not be, rub, bab, bob, hob.<

Well, any word terminating in the two letters is affected. The words were selected because they all ended with those two letters, or did when typed in various word processors, in a futile attempt to limit the problem to software used. Add a terminal y to each of the words and you will see my intent.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    ...Well, any word terminating in the two letters is affected. The words were selected because they all ended with those two letters...
    Ah, of course - I see! You discovered more than I'd realized before, Richard - It's the combination of those two letters, wherever they fall. Naturally, I should have checked on that.

Isn't this peculiar though? Lewis Carroll sort of logic to it.

Randy

From the non-believer, I will try to say without a space and I did. So for now. Hmmm... All my s typed without a space. Maybe it was fixed now.

Oops it didn't leave a space, it simply removed the word from the letter entirely. No b y without the space? Yep, there is no b y without the space.

I learned and will comply!

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum