• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should A Piano Sample Have Pedal-down Release?

Share/Bookmark

Should A Piano Sample Have Pedal-down Release?

Hi, I recently got the excellent Bardstown Bosendorfer sample library (so maybe this is a question for Kip too). It all sounds good except when I play some notes with pedal down and then release the pedal, I get no \"release sound\", like the non-pedaled release, just a sharp cutoff of the sound that sounds unnatural. Though it\'s been a while since I\'ve played one, I\'m pretty sure a real piano would make some sort of release sound in this instance (even more than the actual sound of the thumping felt and hammers).

So should I be hearing a release here? Is my sample setup file corrupted, or is that right? I\'m using NI Kompakt, so I cannot edit samples to the depth required. If that\'s just the way it is, has anyone, or can anyone modify the file so that the regular release samples are played when the pedal is released for the keys that are being pedaled? I need something to help smooth out the sound when the pedal is released, and adding reverb does help but it also muddies the sound, which is fine as it is otherwise. Thanks in advance for your help.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Should A Piano Sample Have Pedal-down Release?

So far, only Michiel Post\'s libraries have worked around this, and it requires an outside MIDI applet to control the \"logic\" necessary.

My suggestion is this: Go into the release layer of the Bosendorfer, and shorten the release samples so you do not hear the hall bounce, only the damper. After doing this, you may need to raise the level of the releases very slightly. To my ears, this helps match the pedal and non-pedal releases better. It doesn\'t solve the problem of actually hearing the \"scrunch\" of the damped string, but it at least lessens the difference between the resonance of the release sample and the gated release necessary for the pedaled tones.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    So far, only Michiel Post\'s libraries have worked around this, and it requires an outside MIDI applet to control the \"logic\" necessary.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not really, my free pianos have had \"pedal down\" and \"pedal up\" samples, for both sustain and mute pedals. Maestro Malmsjö was the first one to have it, and it does make a difference. The new Concert Grand has velocity sensitivity for the pedal samples. It´s stated in my readme files. http://exce.ath.cx/~route909

Mats

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That\'s not what he\'s asking. He is asking about release samples being triggered upon the release of the sustain pedal, in order to model the damping of the strings.

That\'s not what he\'s asking. He is asking about release samples being triggered upon the release of the sustain pedal, in order to model the damping of the strings.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, but Gigastudio doesn´t support it, as far as I know. If it does, please let me know how to do it, I´m dying to have it in my own pianos! The manual for GS edit sucks.

The damping would have to be both of the strings that are \"moving\", sort of a choke of them - like regular release samples - and a generic pedal sound (1 stereo sample) for the moving pedal and the dampers that are hitting all strings that aren´t moving. The final sound would be sort of a thump, but with the played strings being choked naturally. Listen to Diana Krall´s \"Live in Paris\", track 11 - \"A Case of you\" for this sound. I would love to get this sort of effect in a sampled piano, it would make the pianos so much more convincing.

Mats

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes exactly. I just want the already existing release sounds to be used -- no new samples. Although it might be nifty to hear pedal creak, hammer thumps, string chokes, etc., that\'s not necessary. But I don\'t know if Kontakt supports this kind of logic when creating a sample mapping (I only have Kompakt, which plays Kontakt format but can\'t create/edit them in this manner). I guess notes would have to be accumulated into a buffer and triggered when a pedal up event is found or something. I just don\'t know how detailed the options are for this sort of logic -- it begins to get more into the programming area more than just simple \"see this note, trigger this sample\". A related question is, is there any kind of API for Kontakt that could be used to dynamically add logic? I\'m sure I could program this type of thing myself in C or Java. Maybe that\'s what you meant the Post library used?

Go Back to forum