• Register
  • Help

Topic: A rehearsal.

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb A rehearsal.

Thought I'd post this.
    It's a soprano rehearsing to a very quickly knocked up Mozart MIDI mockup (all GPO).
    "Deh vieni, non tardar" from Nozze di Figaro.

https://www.box.com/s/eaqu501quz25rfjtohj7

Recorded using a simple Zoom recorder from a couple of metres away ... therefore non studio.

Kind regards,
    John.

Re: A rehearsal.

Really nice, John! Your "mock up" (s h u d d e r - never have liked that term) sounds just fine, and what an excellent demo of a very useful application of GPO. I bet the singer had fun being able to sing with the virtual orchestra you provided, instead of just the standard rehearsal pianist. Great!

Randy

Thanks John for that lovely piece of Mozart's talent translated in a fine GPO version. I agree with Randy: the singer will have enjoyed the virtual orchestra immensely.

Max

Thanks Randy, and Max for your feedback.

Yes, she does enjoy rehearsing to the tracks.
    So much better, she says, than the often sterile piano backings one gets on CD.

She often comes back with suggestions for improvements in tempo, etc., the one I posted needs some modification there.
    It's a real delight making them and having them used almost immediately.
    It gives me a real thrill and a "kick" to think that my work is good enough to be used b y a professional. (There's that bug again.)

The singer, you have probably guessed, is my wife.
    I also thought you might like to have heard her voice, Randy.

We have a small number of pianists available from time-to-time to work with, but only one real "accompanist".
    She is very much in demand though.

Kind regards,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    The singer, you have probably guessed, is my wife.
    I also thought you might like to have heard her voice, Randy...
    I guessed it! You told awhile back that your wife's a trained singer - it's great to finally hear her! - I'm still hoping that when I have material, that she'd enjoy singing on a vocal demo for my current project. She's passed the audition!

Randy

Hi John,

Your wife's beautiful voice is worth the listen alone, but I also really enjoyed the orchestral accompaniment you created ... very nice!

I do the same thing with musical theater material and it is an instant thrill to hear a rehearsal with full (or any!) orchestration ... these really are fantastically useful libraries!

Thanks for posting this,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I guessed it! You told awhile back that your wife's a trained singer - it's great to finally hear her! - I'm still hoping that when I have material, that she'd enjoy singing on a vocal demo for my current project. She's passed the audition!

Randy
    Hi Randy,
    I told her she'd passed the audition which elicited a wry smile.
    When I told her about singing on a demo I got a look that said "could be!".
    Sometimes a woman of few words.
    It's why I have no intentions of making a change.
    A woman of few words is a rare find indeed!

I thought I'd better stack a few winking smilies on that ... just in case!

Hi John,

Your wife's beautiful voice is worth the listen alone, but I also really enjoyed the orchestral accompaniment you created ... very nice!

I do the same thing with musical theater material and it is an instant thrill to hear a rehearsal with full (or any!) orchestration ... these really are fantastically useful libraries!

Thanks for posting this,

Frank

Thank you Frank,

I shall pass that compliment on to her.
    Beautiful her voice certainly is. But then I'm very, very biased.

You might be amazed too if you saw her.
    A real pixie.
    Just 5' 3" tall and weighing around 8 stone. (About 50 kilos)
    I wonder, constantly, where the huge voice comes from.

So pleased you enjoyed the backing too.
    It wasn't difficult making it, Mozart's orchestration is sparse, and I continue to be amazed by GPO.
    The new convolution reverb is incredibly realistic too, although I think I used the earlier Ambience on that one.

Deep in the throes of trying to get a good version of Dvorak's "Song to the Moon" from Rusalka finished.
    This one is challenging with, at the moment, more than 3 dozen tracks.

Kind regards,
    John.

Hi John,

I'm trying to catch up with my listening and your post is the last for tonight, it's 11 pm here now.

I don't usually enjoy listening to soprano voices, I prefer a mezzo or tenor voice but... your wife has a lovely tone and isn't at all "screechy" or strained. On the high notes it floats easily and effortlessly. Very nice. The backing was well done. I agree the new convolution reverb is so much better. I liked the ambience as well but I use the convolution all the time now.

I enjoyed this!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    Hi John,

I'm trying to catch up with my listening and your post is the last for tonight, it's 11 pm here now.

I don't usually enjoy listening to soprano voices, I prefer a mezzo or tenor voice but... your wife has a lovely tone and isn't at all "screechy" or strained. On the high notes it floats easily and effortlessly. Very nice. The backing was well done. I agree the new convolution reverb is so much better. I liked the ambience as well but I use the convolution all the time now.

I enjoyed this!
    No, I don't normally like the high kind of soprano, with a few exceptions.
    My wife's voice has "matured" and she finds herself often singing the mezzo or alto pieces these days, although she still can reach pretty high.

I shall pass on your kind remarks to her, thank you.
    Kind regards,
    John.

Go Back to forum