• Register
  • Help

Topic: Community Movie Theaters On The Brink

Share/Bookmark

Community Movie Theaters On The Brink

I heard that next year movies will be only distributed to movie theaters digitally. That means the theaters will have to buy digital projectors which are expensive. Some communities are having fund raisers to help keep their theaters open but many communities have more pressing needs. It's looking like our small theater and drive-in will be gone.

I hardly ever go to the movies anymore but I'm sure they will be missed, like the ma and pa grocery store and the full service gas station where you knew people.

Phil

Re: Community Movie Theaters On The Brink

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I heard that next year movies will be only distributed to movie theaters digitally. That means the theaters will have to buy digital projectors which are expensive...
    That's right, I read the story on that quite awhile ago. It's analogous to TV stations only broadcasting digitally now, and how people have to either have a digital TV set or a digital cable box - Old TVs that are expecting only an analog signal can't receive broadcasts anymore without some sort of receiving box.

I have to admit it's been years since I've been to a theater where film is projected, with the attendant accumulation of scratches on the picture, and the occasional badly timed start of reels with the momentary gap visible, the count-down dots in the upper right corner etc. Towns with classic old theaters that still use old equipment will indeed be left out in the cold unless the theater owners can come up with big chunks of change.

R

The Opera House and the theater in Ellendale are both intending to go digital in the near future. Hopefully we’ll be able to encourage them to include indi film competition and music composition events.

Especially since I just completed a full HD production company including animation, flying camera gantry, dollies, green screen equipment and full console editing. Now if I can just find a script.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I heard that next year movies will be only distributed to movie theaters digitally. That means the theaters will have to buy digital projectors which are expensive. Some communities are having fund raisers to help keep their theaters open but many communities have more pressing needs. It's looking like our small theater and drive-in will be gone.

I hardly ever go to the movies anymore but I'm sure they will be missed, like the ma and pa grocery store and the full service gas station where you knew people.

Phil
    Our local small art cinema recently bought a DCI 2K projector, it was around $100,000. But the change in quality is breathtaking. I hope that this investment will help the cinema to survive instead of to go dying slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    Our local small art cinema recently bought a DCI 2K projector, it was around $100,000. But the change in quality is breathtaking. I hope that this investment will help the cinema to survive instead of to go dying slowly.
    I't good to hear that small theaters can afford to upgrade to digital. The problem with our community theater situation is that it's an easy 20 minute drive to the large multiplex theaters in Olympia-Lacey which is also where many of our residents work.

Go Back to forum